Fav/least fav grade to teach?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jessiiteach, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Jan 6, 2012

What is your favorite and least favorite grade to teach and why?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2012

This is an extremely personal decision...12 years ago I would have said K, 9 years ago up til last year I"d have said 2nd, now it's all about 3rd...:love: for me it's about blooming where you're planted.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2012

I prefer grades 10-12. The material is a bit "meatier" than the rest.

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jan 6, 2012

Favorite grade: kindergarten
    Least favorite: anything that isn't kindergarten

Lol...okay for real. K-1 are my preferred grades and anything over 5th is too old!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2012

Like czacza, whatever I'm teaching tends to become my favourite. That said, I think that I am most effective where I am right now--grades 7 and 8. I have taught (and loved) everything from grade 4 up. 20 years ago, I loved kindergarten and pre-K; now, not so much.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2012

I''ve taught k through 3rd. I've loved first through 3rd.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 6, 2012

DITTO!!! :D

9. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jan 6, 2012

I have taught yrs 1,2,3,4 and 5. I loved them all at the time but if I had to pick a favourite it would probably be yr 2.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 6, 2012

Favorite: 7th and adult education

Least favorite: Um, pretty much everything else. I do have to say that the after 7th grade, the younger they get, the scarier they get. I spent 90 minutes in a 2nd grade classroom and it was, hands down, the worst 90 minutes of my entire working life...and that includes cleaning out the fryers at Wendy's and waiting tables at Cracker Barrel.

11. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jan 6, 2012

I've only taught 2nd, but I love them. I did some preservice work in K and in 1st and I enjoyed them. I'm the complete opposite from you mmswm, the older they get the scarier they are for me! I love the little ones!

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 6, 2012

I think I have found a home with lower elementary. I really only have experience with 1st grade in lower elementary, but I have taught a little in MS and HS (before reluctantly taking a first grade position because that was the only opening), and I have fallen in love with it. I know it's not for everyone, but I love the love my students give me. It's such a rewarding way to spend my days.

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2012

I also tend to get attached to whatever I am teaching. When I taught fifth I loved it. When I taught first I loved it. Now this year I am teaching and 1/2 and am starting to get pretty attached to that too. The only grade I did not like was eighth. I found the children to be depressed.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 7, 2012

I worked briefly in pre-k, student taught for a year in 2nd grade, and am now spending my first year in 3rd. I like 3rd the best so far! I think I would hate Kindergarten. I actually have no idea what to do with Kindergarteners.

15. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 7, 2012

2nd and 3rd are my favourite ones!

16. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 7, 2012

My favorite is 5th, with 4th being a close second.
    My least favorite is kindergarten.
    My friend suggested that i might really enjoy 6th grade as well, but haven't had the opportunity to bid there.

17. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2012

When I was student teaching I did 5th and 1st and I loved 1st which I knew I would. But I was surprised that I didn't HATE 5th.

Fast forward to last year where I started in the middle of the year in a 4th grade classroom and enjoyed it 10x more than I ever thought I would. I didn't think I liked working with older kids, but I was very happy. Over the summer when I was trying to get a full time position at the school the principal told me it would be in either K or 4th. I started to have 2nd thoughts on 4th because all through college I had wanted to teach K or 1st.

I ended up in a 4th grade inclusion classroom this year and I couldn't be happier. Things definitely do happen for a reason. I love the relationship that you can develop with a 9/10 yr old compared to a 5/6 year old. I love revisiting all the chapter books I loved when I was that age. I don't even mind the pressure of state tests the way I had expected. (Although don't get me wrong I'd rather do without them!!)

I think it's definitely about finding the good in the grade that you're in. There are things I would absolutely love to do that my kids are too old for but I would definitely miss some things if I went down to a lower grade. It's nice to know if I'm ever moved to a different grade I'll be able to make the best of it.

18. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2012

I've taught 1,3,5 and a self contained 3-6. So far my least favorite is 5th. I loved first grade and I currently love third grade too.

19. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 8, 2012

My least fav. 7th grade.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2012

I've taught kinder.
    I've taught fifth.
    I was the academic RtI clinciian and worked with 2nd through 6th graders.

It is about making the best with what you are given. I loved working with all of my students. It's about getting to know your kids, the curriculum, and creating a safe environment.

I love kinder because you can act as goofy as possible, make believe things, use a puppet to teach phonics, play in the leaves, etc.

I love fifth because I can make fun jokes, have serious discussion with them, they are more independent, and I love the curriculum, etc.

21. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 8, 2012

I've only taught 3rd. So, 3rd! Such a great age!

when I was a substitute I loved K but when I was hired only 3,4, and 5 were available so I was able to choose. I took the youngest. I think I'd like what ever I was teaching at the time.

22. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Jan 8, 2012

I've subbed mainly K-5, student taught 3, 8, and 11, and taught 7-12. I honestly think I like each age group/grade for some reason or another! I think the best fit for me might be upper elementary grades and middle school.