Fatigued

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by blindteacher, Jul 10, 2009.

1. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

I was just talking to my wife today and she pointed out to me that apart from basic hygiene, I have quite literally just spent the past week in bed.

I'm not sure exactly what it is but I am so fatigued. My chronic pain comes and goes with the weather, but lately over the past few weeks I've began to become very easily exhausted.

Generally I exercise every day because the endorphins help with chronic pain management, but I haven't even been able to exercise half as much as I used to -- and this is with really pushing myself to the limit.

I've scheduled an appointment with my rheumatologist, but the appointment is only in a few weeks. So any ideas of what I should do till then?

I'm just so glad it's summertime because I wouldn't know what to do if school was in session!

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

I'm blah myself, Blindteacher. I wish I could offer some advice that would be helpful. But, I'm in a rut in the fact that I've not done a doggone thing besides basic home maintenance...washing dishes, laundry, dusting, etc...
    I think I need to get back to taking my vitamins. Vit B's are really good and have helped me...sheesh; I'm even too darn lazy to get them out of the jar. :unsure:
    I think I need to get back to a routine.

I'll be praying for you, Blindteacher. Remember me as well.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

Can you see a GP in the meantime for a regular physical?

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2009

I have no idea what to tell you, but I hope your condition improves! Take care!

6. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

I just went for a physical about a month ago. I don't think I can go for another one, at least not yet. I do stay in email/phone contact with my rheumatologist. He can't offer me any explanation other than that it's the usual ups and downs of my conditions.

7. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

Hmm... I wonder if it's the weather or something. I'm also too lazy to open jars because it takes me a lot of effort and causes me a lot of pain. So we're on the same page! I will be praying for you too.

8. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

Thanks so much, Ms. I. :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

Thank you; I appreciate it! :)

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

You should call your doctor who did the physical a month ago and say "Something is wrong." You could be anemic. Try B12 sublingual tablets - my doc says everyone over 30 should do this because our stomachs become less able to absorb B12, and the sublingual goes right into the blood stream.

Have you tried acupuncture? I know I am a bore on this subject, but my acupuncturist has told me she sees the same patterns of energy loss in all the teachers she treats. She treats me for increased energy, improved immune system, and pain relief. My last visit was 2 weeks ago. She worked on me for one hour and none of the needles hurt. I literally walked out of there 90% pain free, and I had been aching from head to toe. I haven't had to take pain meds since.

It does seem like there is something going on, so I would def. call the doctor and check if they screened your iron levels, or if there is anything else they can check to find out why you are mysteriously so tired. I do have to say, when school is out, I am pretty much a zombie for about 7-10 days. It seems once the pressure of getting to work and giving it your all is gone, and nothing is pushing you, you are able to let your exhaustion come out and it takes a while to bounce to where you can enjoy the summer.

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

is it especially warm there? I know I get tired when it's warm inside. I know exercising helps breaks the cycle of feeling tired and even from having insomnia. I hope you feel better soon and take it easy. Maybe look up online more about your condition to see if there are any more suggestions.

12. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

I called my rheumatologist. He says I may have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), which is a common co-diagnosis with another condition I have, Fibromyalgia (FMS). :eek:

I already take B12 along with a host of other vitamins. It's important for people with FMS to take more vitamins than the average person because our bodies metabolize vitamins differently. So I take a handful of vitamins a day.

Yes, and it helps tremendously with my symptoms! I always walk out of there in less pain and with more energy. However it's extremely expensive and my insurance does not cover it. On top it only lasts a few days and then I'm back to ground zero. :(

I've been screened for iron levels and in fact take iron pills every day. So we've crossed out anemia. I think that may be the reason my physician is more inclined to think it's CFS, in addition to my already existing FMS and arthritis.

Thank you so much for your concern and such a thorough reply. I really appreciate it.

13. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

It's warm outside but we have air conditioning -- thankfully. I usually exercise every day but I am in just too much pain and too fatigued to move, let alone exercise. :mellow: I just hope this wave passes and I'll be back to normal soon. I'm hoping I'm just flaring up, although in the past my flares have been more with pain and not so much fatigue. But then again there is a first for everything, and I'm getting older every day, not younger. So this may just be the effects of FMS and aging.

Thanks again for your well wishes.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2009

I hope you figure out what is causing this and that you get better soon!

15. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

Thank you so much, Jessica!

16. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

I hope it is not CFS and that it is just the weather or something. How do they diagnose CFS?

I will be thinking about you and hoping you feel better:)

17. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

Thanks so much for your wishes, Sue.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, these are the diagnostic criteria:

I meet several of these criteria, however many of them also occur with FMS. However, often it's even hard for physicians to tease out the cause of various symptoms. That's why a co-diagnosis of FMS and CFS is controversial in the medical community. :unsure:

I'm just hoping it's a new way of my FMS flaring up, because at least I am familiar with FMS and it is something I am already having treated.

18. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

I just realized some of my posts are unintelligible. If I'm not making any sense, please let me know. Thanks. :)

19. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

I hope you feel better soon. Fatigue is sure miserable. Depressing too when you realize that you have nothing to show for days on end.

I am there myself. I am supposed to be taking an iron supplement that costs about $80/month, and that was one of the things I had to cut out last month. My anemia (related to a surgery I had several years ago; doesn't matter what I eat) was under control, but now it is back full force and some days I can barely stay awake. At least I know what the problem is though.

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

Molly! It is dangerous for you not to take the iron supplement! Can you get it through WalMart's 4.00 plan? Or talk to the pharmacist about a close version that is less expensive? Or ask your doc what else you can take because you can't afford it? Or go to the public health center and ask if they can help you??

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

None that I've picked up on.

Here's hoping things improve soon!

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

Molly, cut internet service until October and pay for your medicine!!!!!

23. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

You sound very clear. I never would have guessed you were having pain or fatigue. Sure hope things get better for you!

24. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

I have roommates. They would not agree to that. At any rate, my share of internet is only $10/month. I do not pay for tv cable, per agreement made when I moved in.

25. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

No. It is a very specific liquid herbal supplement I get at Whole Foods. I can't take pills, and other cheaper liquids that I have tried cause me a lot of abdominal pain. It was a year or so of trial and error before I settled on this one. I was just griping. My mom bought me a bottle last month, so I am still taking about 1/3 normal dose, just not my full dose. It is also an unfavorable time of the month for me to be dealing with anemia, so I just feel extra lousy today. I've been working this summer, but my there was a bit of gap during finals, so THOSE checks are also a month behind and should start kicking in soon. I'll get my iron as soon as I catch up to those, in about 2 weeks.

And, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my whining Blindteacher! I was intending to sympathize (I slept an average of 14 hrs a day this week), not whine. I do hope you dont have CFS to deal with on top of your other issues.

26. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

ok molly - you know there are just a lot of moms on here that like to take care of everyone! :D:lol:

27. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 10, 2009

blindteacher- I hope you are feeling better and things get normalized for you soon. Although I have no chronic problems, I know the break in my usual school-year routine and the heat (I'm in south TX) makes me rest and stay on the couch napping more freqently than normal. (even with AC!) I'll keep you in my prayers!

mollydoll- Please take care of yourself!

28. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

I was wondering if you have blood work done at your last physical. Undiagnosed diabetics are often extremely tired because their cells are insulin resistant so they are not accepting nutrition. Your blood sugar soars because it is not going into the cells - that is an extremely basic and non-medical way to explain it but that is a common reason for fatigue. Have you been hungry? Sorry - not a medical professional - just something else to rule out.

29. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

Please take care of yourself and see if you can cut something else instead to meet your budget. Iron is critical so your red blood cells to absorb oxygen properly.

30. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

Thank you so much Alice. :)

31. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

Thank you so much, bonneb.

32. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

Don't worry about it, molly. I'm sorry you suffer from fatigue too. I know anemic fatigue can be quite debilitating. I hope you manage to get your iron liquid as soon as possible.

33. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

I appreciate your keeping me in your prayers.

34. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

I appreciate your concern. I had blood work done at my last physical to check for everything -- blood sugar, rheumatoid factor, iron levels, etc. Along with my diagnosis of fibromyalgia, this is why my rheumatologist is inclined to believe it may be CFS. We are going to see if the symptoms don't clear up with time.

35. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

Ask about Lyme's disease. You get it from tick bites and some of the symptoms are fatigue and joint pain. My brother got it and said it was pretty painful.

36. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

BT, when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was extremely tired.

37. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 11, 2009

Thanks for mentioning it, DHE -- diabetes was already cancelled out from blood work a month ago.

38. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 11, 2009

I'll mention Lyme's disease to my doctor. I have a friend with Lyme's. We actually have very similar symptoms.

39. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

I will be praying for you, and I hope you feel better soon! :)

40. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 11, 2009

Thank you so much for keeping me in your prayers, Teacher SMK!

41. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

BT~I am hoping that you feel better real soon.