fathers day present - help!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ArizonaTeacher, Jun 8, 2007.

1. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

I am in desperate need of a fathers day present for 4-5 year olds. Last year I did the black and white silhouettes and I loved that project, but I have the same kids this year. So...I was thinking of having them decorate aprons, but I cannot find aprons under $5 and the director doesn't want to spend that much money. The handprint/footprint poems are cute, but I need to have more than that. If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them!

3. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jun 8, 2007

I don't have any ideas for you but I'm looking for something for 4 and 5s too! We made cards for Mother's Day and planted flowers in plastic cups with a decorated insert, I'm looking for something equivalent to that for Dad's Day and I can't come up with anything.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 8, 2007

My Pre-K class is decorating T-shirts. I got the shirts on sale at a craft store (Michael's) for $2.50 each. Then I got tubes of fabric paint that were 80 cents each. I'd estimate that each child uses between 1 and 2 ounces of paint for his/her shirt. So that's under $4 total cost for shirt and paint.

A less expensive idea is to have them decorate a bookmark, add the child's photo (if you you can take them and have them developped quickly enough) and laminate it to make it sturdier. My son did this in Kindergarten and my hubby likes using it as his bookmark still and that was a year ago. Maybe do a bookmark as well as a handprint/footprint poem.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 9, 2007

Forgot to say that on the bookmark you would ask them to draw a picture of the child and the dad doing something together.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2007

You know the thick wooden craft sticks? Well, you can use these to make a frame. We did this for Mother's day. Buy a box of the craft sticks and a package of buttons, feathers, etc. I got all of my supplies for 15 kids under $8. I'd put a picture of them on here but I don't know how to do that. You basically make a square. Put two craft sticks parallel to each other, and then do that again on top of those. A hot glue gun works best, but Elmer's also does the trick. Then, I took pictures of the kids and put each of their pictures in the frame. We put yarn on the top to make it so that it can be hung on the fridge, wall, etc. They are small, but cute. If you type in "Craft Stick Frame" in google, you get several good descriptions. Then we put buttons, feathers, other tacky kid things on the sides. Depending on the kids abilities, I also let those of mine who could write put "Happy Mother's Day" - in your case Father's Day, on the top -- and "Love, Ryan" on the bottom.

Hope that helps!

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jun 9, 2007

Michael's usually has blank wooden frames (with a good size area for decoration) for $1, I have had my kids use little wooden cut out shapes (either the ones you paint or already painted ones--a quarter each)

I must say that I have done the bookmarker idea a couple of times and my daughter did one with her finger prints and had a coesponding poem to go with it, I put it between clear contact paper.

8. lex

lex Rookie

Jun 9, 2007

Last year we made keychains. I purchased a couple packages of thin leather cord and the metal key rings at WalMart. I cut a length of cord and looped it through the key ring and the kids threaded beads on the cord. I had some letter beads and they could spell out Daddy or I Love You.

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 9, 2007

This year I used an idea I saw in The Mailbox. I had each parent bring in a plain, cloth oven mitt. I had each child write his/her name on the bottom of the mitt. I painted the child's hand with fabric paint and made a print on the mitt. I then wrote along the side of the mitt, "a helping hand from". On the back of the mitt I wrote Father's Day 2007. They turned out really cute! The fabric paint and fabric pen were reasonable. I used 2 $1.25 bottles of paint and 1 fabric pen. I was going to purchase the mitts myself but had a hard time finding plain cloth mitts for under $2.00 each and I have 30 kids.

10. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jun 9, 2007

from the internet
    ==========================
    Materials Needed:
    Laundry Scoop
    Hugs and Kisses Candy
    Clear or Colored Plastic Wrap
    Ribbon

Instructions:
    A simple gift idea! Fill the Laundry scoop with candy hugs and kisses. Cut a large piece of plastic wrap. Set the scoop in the middle of the plastic wrap. Fold the plastic wrap over so the two ends meet at the scoop handle. Pull the plastic wrap tightly around the scoop and gather around the handle. Tie a ribbon around the handle to hold the plastic wrap in place. Tie a note onto the scoop that says "A scoop of Hugs and Kisses for you".
    ============================

maybe try looking at the Michaels and Crayola websites for ideas

11. onelilmonkey

onelilmonkey Rookie

Jun 9, 2007

banks

We collected a bunch of frosting containers and cut a peice of contruction paper so it would wrap around the outside. The kids sponge painting blue and green paint on it then we wrote "You can change the world Daddy!" We glued the paper around the cups and cut a change slot into the lids.

12. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 10, 2007

I was going to use the oven mitt idea also, but I couldn't find the plain oven mitts either! When I find some during the year I am going to pick them up, the idea looks really cute.

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 10, 2007

I'm going to do the same. I found two for $1.99 at Ross.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2007

We are painting rock with glitter paint. They can use them as paper weights or decoration. That reminds me, I have to go outside and find some decent size rocks! I figure about the size of my fist.