Father's Day gifts

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by teachingmomof4, May 6, 2007.

1. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

May 6, 2007

Every year, we make something special for moms and it's always my intent to do something for the dads as well. But, with testing and other end of the year activities, time seems to be a constraint and we either don't get to it or they get something really lame. Does anyone have any cool ideas that they have done (or plan to do) for gifts for dads? I would like to get them done so that we can focus on the end of the year stuff. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas! :love:

3. mediha

mediha Rookie

May 6, 2007

Hi...Here (in Turkey) Father's Day is celebrated in June.
    I think there is an equality between mother and father now for a nice special day.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 6, 2007

Have them make "great dad" award cerificates. You could give them a pre-made border with lines to fill in or stickers, etc. The best is a blue ribbon (sticker, drawn, real) attached to the bottom and the ceritficate signed by the child.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 6, 2007

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 6, 2007

I'd like to do something.... except I have five or six students who live with only their moms.

7. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 6, 2007

We didn't have time when I was in VA to do a lot of craftiness so I picked stuff up and the kids packaged it as a vocational task. I bought small Coleman coolers on clearance (one per kid) and a bunch of "emergency" stuff at discount stores (i.e. small package kleenex, hand sanitizing gel, band-aids, chapstick, etc.). One of my kids typed up a poem for it ("A gift for your bike, your boat or your car / So you'll be my hero where ever we are") and we packaged them up nicely and sent them home the last day of school. It was easy enough for me at a very busy time, but I only have six kids, so spending a bit wasn't a huge deal.

8. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 6, 2007

This is why I don't do anything for Father's Day. Even Mother's Day I have a few children that don't have a mom or even a grandma so I leave those holiday's up to the family.

9. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

May 6, 2007

I always tell my kids that even if they don't live with their mother or father they can still make something for them or for the special "man or lady" in their life (grandparents, aunt, uncle, friend etc)

We do something at our school called dads and dough-nuts and we make something then.

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 6, 2007

There was a "Date With Dad" car show a couple months ago. A girl saw the flyers sitting on my desk and asked me about. I was like, "oh yeah, I guess I should hand those out now." Without thinking I just told the kids about it and one kid starts sobbing. I didn't really figure it out because it's normal for him to have random outburts, but when half my class goes, "I don't have a dad" I realized why he was crying. His dad died two years ago in a motorcycle accident. Ughhh. I felt horrible. Then I told them it was Date with "Special Person" you don't have to bring a dad. When the principal was talking about it on announcements, "Saturday is Date With Dad...." I shouted, "OR SPECIAL PERSON!!" hehe. That poor kid. His mom was a mess and she switched schools without telling him or us. I wish I could give him a hug. :(