Father's Day Gift

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by peachieteachie, Jun 11, 2008.

1. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

Everyone knows Father's Day is Sunday, and I still need to get my dad a gift. I always get him a gift card to a store or restaurant and would like to do something different. The problem is, I have NO idea what to get him. When I ask him what he would like he responds, "I don't need anything," but I WANT to get him something. I would like to do something more special than a wallet, watch, or gift card. Any ideas???

3. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 11, 2008

This is really nice. Does he have a place to hang it? I always try to give my dad something from me. I usually put together a basket of his favorite treats that I make. Most of them are able to be frozen or can be kept for a few weeks (I make candied walnuts, spicy peanuts, peanut brittle, mini loaves of banana bread, lemon poppy seed bread, maybe a soup, homemade jam)

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 11, 2008

My dad loves golf, lives for golf. So anytime we get him anything NOT to do with golf...it's different and special, haha!

I think a framed picture would be nice. :)

6. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

I guess nobody else likes my Father's Day gift idea :unsure:

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jun 12, 2008

peachieteachie, its a beautiful framed art/statement

I just sent my dad a card and had my kids make one for him too.

For my husband we got a few gifts (books, shirt, pocket knife, and a magnetic reaching tool he pointed out in the sears ad) but we also just made 2 stepping stones for him. I bought a heart form and the mix at Jo-Ann's fabric with the 15% educator discount and the 25% off it was a good deal, the kids sprinkle on some red white and blue star glitter and we wrote #1 DAD in one and Grill Daddy in the other one (he loves to grill) its supposed to be at least 100 here today so I'm sure they will set intime.

8. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

peachieteachie - I think that it's a great gift. Especially if you thought of him when you saw it. It's thoughtful and like you said will go nice with the card you bought.

9. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2008

My kids always get me for Mother's Day and my husband for Father's Day the gift of time together. Of course they get us a great card but then they pick something for us to do together. One year when my son was about 11 he took me golfing. I was just starting out and he was so much better than me. We had such a great time!!! I would rather have that memory than a gift that I will probably forget about in a few years. This year my 2 kids are taking my husband on a fishing charter. I don't know who is more excited, the kids or my husband!!! I know he will remember that day for a long time.

So maybe instead of buying your dad a gift card to a restaurant , take him there and it doesn't have to be on Father's Day. Just you and him, remember it's the memories that mean so much!

10. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2008

The latest Indiana Jones movie would be fun. If he doesn't like sitting in theatres, Target is selling the whole set of the first three. :)

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2008

Peachie- it's nice...does your dad like stuff like that? My parents are at the point in their lives where they don't need one more picture frame or something to hang on the wall. We tend to give 'consumable' gifts: gift cards, get aways, brunch, dinner out, etc. My dad likes 'Tommy Bahama' shirts- I might get him one of those.

12. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 14, 2008

I posted this somewhere else too. I always plant a patio tomato plant in a pot for my dad. He is great at getting it to grow. This year I may plant a green pepper for something new. I have one of those "don't get me anything" dads. He seems to like his tomato though.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 14, 2008

I got my dad the trilogy.