Fat and Lazy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, Oct 8, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Oct 8, 2010

I feel so fat. What can I do about it. I can work out. But I'm so lazy. I need a workout partner and I need money to join a gym.

I know I can work out a home but again I am lazy.

When people look at me they may think I am no where near fat but I feel like I am.

Its starting to get to me. I'm an emotional eater so its hard for me to stop eating sweets and eat healthy.

Sorry I just wanted to get this off my chest. Stress of school is just getting to me.

3. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Oct 8, 2010

I feel your pain, your EXACT pain!!!!! I know that I need to exercise, but I'm so TIRED when I get home. And, like you, I'm an emotional eater. It's been a rough year so far. I feel very stressed and scretched thin. In fact, I've just stuffed my face with mint chocolate cookies, the ones that sort of taste like Girl Scout's Thin Mints.

Now, the guilt sets in, and I feel like crap.

Beth

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2010

Same here! I have this continuous habit of going to the gym & working out very well for a few times a wk, etc. & then, a new schedule starts w/ school or work & I sag out again & don't go for wks or even mos. Then, I go again really dilligently, then sag out again. There was a time I had a personal trainer & I was looking great, but it was expensive. I had the trainer for 6 mos. I could eat better too.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2010

I think the problem is that we want grand results, but they're pretty impossible to maintain.

How about something really small? Walk around your block today.

And if that isn't too much of a bother, walk around the one across the street as well.

Get yourself into the mindset of a daily walk. In the beginning, that's what matters most-- getting into the habit. As time goes on, you can add a block at a time.

You don't need money or equipment, you need a habit.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 9, 2010

I feel your pain. I am not overweight, but I could stand to lose a few pounds. I had a Slim Fast for lunch and a row of Oreos for dinner :lol:

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 9, 2010

I could have written this post:lol:

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Oct 9, 2010

Hi! :)

Gyms around here (Southern Florida) are so expensive, so I understand where you're coming from.

Our jobs are very physically and emotionally exhausting -- some days are worse than others.

Be gentle with yourself and kind to yourself. You know that progress isn't going to happen over night so set very small goals. I used to waffle between exercising before school (at 5 AM) and after school (4 PM). While I know 4 PM is considered "early" I found it easier to stick to the morning schedule as I was totally worn out by the end of school and the thought of changing into gym clothes was way too daunting!! :lol:

Best wishes and remember -- be gentle with yourself. :hugs:

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2010

Sell your car.

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 9, 2010

I hate going to the gym. I worked at a gym for 6 years, had a free membership and maybe went 10 times in those 6 years! But I was there all day, I didn't want to stay later to work out!

You need to find something you ENJOY doing. My husband and I moved to a new neighborhood and there is a park nearby with trails, so we've gone at least 4-5 times a week on 30-45 minute walks.

We also both discovered we enjoy playing tennis. Once I fully recover from a recent surgery, we'll get back into that.

Maybe you could buy a bike and ride around your town?

Like I said, just try to find something fun to do that is physical.

Eating better plays a HUGE part. You'd be shocked at how much weight you can lose by eating better. If you like cooking, maybe go online and look for some healthier recipes to whip up!

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2010

I have been working out since I was 16. I made it a habit, a daily routine like brushing your teeth and showering. It is easier to maintain once it becomes habit. I think Alice is right, start small. You don't need a gym, I workout right here at home. It's cheaper, and I am in the comfort of my own home. I didn't start eating healthy until my early 20s when I couldn't figure out why I was stuck at a certain weight, worked out everyday, but couldn't get exactly to where I wanted to be. Then I realized that I needed to adjust my eating habits. Getting started is the hardest, maintaining is easiest. I cut out all red meats and fatty junk foods. You are in the states, and you will find healthier snack food options (I have a harder time with that here in Mexico, although in the city there are many light options, just not necessarily what I used to eat in the states). Another idea, just don't buy the junk food. If it's not around, you won't eat it. Have cereal in the house (a healthy version, like Special K or something) to snack on when you are hungry. Buy lots of fruit. A healthy snack I like is chopped up fruit (apples and mangoes especially) with non-fat plain yogurt. You can sprinkle some cereal on top to give it a crunch. There are so many healthy options. Oh,and another thing is I nap for 2 hours after work everyday. I would not have the energy to exercise, or do anything if I didn't sleep. I am too exhausted after work. So I sleep, then exercise, then make a healthy dinner. but, like Alice said, start small and just get your body used to these changes. You can do it, you just need to make the decision to do so.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2010

Here is what worked for me - not in terms of weight loss (I still eat too d#$% much) but in terms of exercise.

You have to find something that you like doing so much that even if you didn't lose any weight from it, you would still do it.

The other thing is that once you find those things, set performance goals rather than weight loss goals - walking or running a mile in under 10 minutes or riding a bike 10 miles in under a specific amount of time (for me that's 29 minutes). Those goals are secondary to weight loss goals.

Finally, if you really want to go out on a limb, do this: Enter an event. Sprint triathlons are very short and a lot of fun. In cycling a lot of 100 mile "centuries" also have metric, half, and even half-metric events. At any rate, having spent the money on the entry fee is often a great motivator to keep trying.

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 9, 2010

I agree with TamiJ about making it a routine and with Alice about starting small. I'm trying to start my own exercise routine, but it's hard. I was always skinny and never had to worry about losing weight or working out, so it's hard to get myself into the routine I need to do that now.

I've joined the local gym, but last year I stopped going once the weather got cold. I have to be very careful working with weights due to the multiple surgeries I've had. I'm susceptible to hernias, so I have to watch out for that.

I really like swimming and walking, so I focus on those. My only problem is making myself get in the pool once the weather cools off. The pool is covered during the winter and the water is heated to 83 degrees, but it's still cold when I first get in. But, like TamiJ said, it's just a matter of getting in the habit and doing it.

Several of us seem to have the same goals AND the same obstacles. Maybe we can start a support thread and encourage each other every day! :)

14. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 9, 2010

I went to the doctor and my blood pressure was all over the place. I knew I had to do something, but walking was out, joining the gym too expensive and too far away. (we live in a very rural area). And time was too tight, oh I had a million excuses, but the blood pressure worried me. I got on Craig's list and found a brand new exercise bike for $20. I was looking at it everyday. I started out slow, 10 minutes a day, added 5 minutes a week, which I know doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up. After dinner is my time to ride my bike, and I watch a 30 minute TV show while I do it, my favorite being Cash Cab. Some days I am sooo tired, but I force myself to do it. I went to the doctor last month and my blood pressure was 112/80. YIPEE! and I lost 20 pounds.
    Sending you hugs and encouragement, don't give up on yourself. Take a look at craigs list and see what you can find. It took me a few weeks to find this bike.

15. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Oct 9, 2010

I didn't read replies..so forgive me if this repeats!! Myfitnesspal and sparkpeople are great, free sites for support and encourage. I use exercise tapes-usually Leslie Sansone. Small steps.....good luck!! :)

16. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2010

I get up at 5 and I'm at work at 6:30, so morning exercise isn't practical; I frequently don't get home until 4, and I'm beat. My doctor just wants me to get about 2-1/2 hours of exercise a week. DH and I usually go out to breakfast on the weekend, so we starting walking to the restaurant. It's about 2 miles there and 2 miles back, and we get 90 minutes of walking. It's a start, and it helps that there's a reward at each end of the walk!

17. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Oct 9, 2010

I am not a morning person so getting up early will really be a bad idea. I def won't be doing that. Lazy excuse number 1

Lady excuse #2 I am TOOO tired when I get home from work. There is no way.

Now I can start eating healthy. I am just really picky when it comes to food so it will take some discovering to try to find something I like.

Small steps, very small steps

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2010

Some people just have that discipline & others don't. I guess I don't...or I'm half ass at it. My cousin can wake up early bef work & jog for miles everyday & has an excellent organic, vegetarian diet, & the whole nine yards.

I'm not a morning person & will only wake up early when I have to for work. I may walk my dog here & there IF I FEE LIKE IT. And I love food too much to be a vegetarian, etc.

I don't blame you there!

19. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 9, 2010

Herschel Walker began his workout regimen in high school when he tried out for the wrestling team. The coach told him he was too small and needed to do push ups, sit ups and sprints to build himself up. So he began alternating between push-ups and sit-ups during commercial breaks while watching TV (25 reps of each). Every afternoon, he raced his sister up the hill to their house from the school bus.

By the start of the following year, he had put on so much muscle, he actually flipped the wrestling coach over in his try out.

If you don't like push-ups or sit-ups, you could do stretching exercises, jumping jacks, jogging in place or jumping rope (excellent cardio training)

20. Starista

Starista Cohort

Oct 9, 2010

If you have the Wii... you could invest in the WiiFit Plus? I prefer My Fitness Coach, but WiiFit is "prettier" and more interactive.

I used to love walking, but with how hot and humid it gets down here walking is rough in the summer... but that will change REALLY SOON!!!

21. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 9, 2010

Set a goal for yourself. Say "I will work out 2x this week" and that workout can be walking, a fitness DVD, a game of tennis, whatever for 30 minutes. Then once you get into the habit of that, up it to 3 or 4x a week. If you start out too big, you won't keep up with it. I have the Biggest Loser game for Wii Fit and you can set your own fitness challenge. It will make a calendar for when you work out and depending on how challenging you go, it's only maybe 3x a week or something. If you miss a day, it will do the program the next time you get on.

As far as the junk food...just keep it out of your house! Invest in something that will keep you satisfied enough. When I'm trying not to eat junk, I'll buy a bag of peppermint patties or sugar free Hershey dark chocolate mini-bars and when I need my chocolate fix, I'll eat 1 or 2 and be satisfied. It's better than eating a whole box of cookies! Allow yourself a cheat day if you want to grab fast food or a DQ blizzard or something.

22. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 9, 2010

Make each day count! Nothing will change if you don't want to change so start small like walking. Do you have a dog to walk? Make it fun with music or walk somewhere that's interesting so you pay attention to your surroundings. I like looking for animals out on walks!

23. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Oct 9, 2010

I went to the store today and tried on clothes and it was horrible. All of these skinny girls with perfect bodies could pretty much wear anything but not me.

Maybe it just comes with age? At what age does your metabolism slow down?

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 9, 2010

I've tried a lot of gyms and personal trainers, but nothing stuck until I joined Crossfit with dh. When we signed up, I told him I was NOT going to the same classes as him. I didn't want him acting all superior towards me, as he sometimes does in the gyms with equipment-like I'm using it wrong or something. Anyhow, we ended up going to the first class together. And he was so proud of me, and told me so all night, that I decided going to classes with him wasn't so bad. That was back in February, and we've done Crossfit twice a week every week since. I just upped to three times a week, and he'll be following as soon as his shoulder recovers from a strain. So working out with someone is a HUGE motivator.

I also suggest looking into Crossfit, if you have one near you. I'm EXHAUSTED when I get there, but everyone is like family-it's super intense, so you only go a few nights a week but it works as if you've gone every night. You one work out for maybe 20-30 minutes, but it puts on an amazing amount of muscle and you drop crazy weight. My eating is crap right now, but when I started, I dropped 10 pounds in my first 4 weeks.

25. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 10, 2010

The number one thing you have to remember is be realistic! I know my sisters work out early in the morning, or multiple times during the week.

But to be honest, I am NOT going to stick to something if it's a hassle. That's why I suggested doing something that you love to do. A new hobby, but it just so happens to be physical and keep you healthy.

There's a food blogger with a site called Macheesmo, you should check him out. He has easy, and fun recipes and it makes you want to cook. He has a healthy category as well.

26. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 10, 2010

Thinking about it is the pre-step, the first step is taking action. You'll never lose weight until you RECORD what you're eating, aside from starving yourself or getting REALLY LUCKY every day.

Buy a kitchen scale. They are small and affordable. Say you want to eat peanuts. Put a bowl on the scale, tare it (zero the scale with the bowl on it) and dump in however many peanuts you want to eat. Note the weight, compare that to the serving size on the label, and put down your calories. A very simple process with a program like www.livestrong.com's daily plate, or calorieking, fitday, etc. When something doesn't have calories, for example a chicken breast, these sites have databases that tell you the calories based on weight.

That's the most important thing. Accountability for the food you eat. Working out is a distant, distant, wayyyyyyyyyywayyyyy distant 2nd step.

Livestrong is my personal trainer. It tells me how much I can eat each day to hit a certain goal weight and when my calories max out, I stop. You don't need to set a goal at first. Just eating what you normally do and knowing it/being accountable for it is good for a while. You'll naturally eat less just by tracking your food intake.

Here is where I fight off health nuts with breath of fire, because they hate when I say this.....but....

It doesn't matter what you eat. If your only goal is to lose weight, all that matters is that you take in fewer calories than you burn.

That means you can eat nothing but twinkles and still lose weight.

Healthy? No. More healthy than eating those same things in excess, yes. I can't preach to eat right -- I eat the wrong things every day, because I like food too much. I've polished up a six pack eating nothing but junk food.

If you have a work out partner, don't lose motivation of they rocket ahead of you. There aren't stringent body types -- but males will lose faster than females -- and aside from that there are ectomorphs, mesomorphs, and endomorphs. (NOTE: Most people are not 'one' type, most people are mixes and your lifestyle will make your body adapt and change!)

Ecto being lanky people with little fat, but little muscle.
    Mesomorphs being thick people, not fat, just dense muscles.
    Endomorphs being thick round people, naturally chubby and always fighting their weight.

Mesomorphs are the ones you see on infomercials selling you generic work out programs. Basically, a mesomorph could eat up to 250-300 pounds. Then, eat nothing but pizza and jog and come back down to 180-190 in a few months and sell you the ab shocker for 19.99 because it worked for them.

If you're an endo, be prepared to work very, very hard.

Ecto -- you probably wouldn't be seeing this or caring. But, your life style can change your body's natural setup over time. In that case, you'll find you still shrink pretty fast but you'll hit a new preferred weight with your body that you can't shake off. Basically, if you were the same weight for most of your life and over 10 years put on 10 pounds only. Those 10 pounds are your new base weight, and you'll pay hell to get rid of them.

27. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 12, 2010

28. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Oct 12, 2010

Thanks for the article.