FASTT Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by bobby56m, Feb 12, 2010.

1. bobby56m

bobby56m Rookie

Feb 12, 2010

Hello all! I'm doing a lot of volunteer work at the local elementary school while I work on my degree. It's such a pleasure to work with the kids.

Anyways, I've gotten to know the teachers pretty well and have talked with them about some of the issues. One major issue is with basic math. The 4th grade teacher (veteran teacher of 25 years!) talked about her class having trouble grasping basic math skills, thereby affecting her being able to teach them more advanced math. We were talking about ways to fix this problem.

Finally we found a program through scholastic called FASTT (Fluency and Automaticity through Systematic Teaching with Technology) Math. All the teachers seemed very much interested in it. It's something they'd like to try out. However, our school (as I'm sure many others) has a major budget problem right now. So, I decided to surprise my mentor (the 4th grade teacher I'm learning from). I purchased one program which can be used on one computer and used for multiple students. It sounds like a really good program, and I really want to see these kids do well. So here's hoping! :)

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2010

My old school used fastt math. Didn't care for it.

4. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Feb 12, 2010

My school has fastt math. I really like it. I like that it is instructional. It's best if used at least 3x/week. We only have 2 student computers in our rooms. Our problem is how to get the kids filtered through it.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2010

I just don't think it does anything that good teaching can't. We need a balance. Kids must FIRST understand what adding and subtracting mean. They can memorize facts all day and that won't help if they don't know when to use what. Because of its set-up it gives the impression that the only thing that counts is regurgitating facts.

6. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Feb 12, 2010

i got the opposite impression. I felt like it does not ask kids to regurgitate facts. we use ours as an intervention...the targeted kids have gotten instruction in math facts in class. this is used an addition to that good instruction.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2010

it intro's the fact and the child has to answer correctly. It is great for drill. But teaching the concept of what you are actually doing with the numbers or when to use addition versus subtraction - NOPE. Not unless you have a program different than the fastt math we had.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with it and we do want our kids to be quick with facts, but i feel that time is better used in teaching concepts.

In TEXAS we take TAKS and yes kids have to be able to know 2+2=4, but more importantly they have to know when to add as opposed to subtract.

8. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Feb 13, 2010

This program sounds interesting. Most of my students understand when to use addition and subtraction but they cling to counting on their fingers so badly that it hinders them in solving problems quickly and efficiently. Does anybody know how much it costs for the school to purchase the whole program to be used on more than one computer?