Fastest Alternative Certification Programs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CaliPro, May 26, 2012.

1. CaliPro

CaliPro Rookie

May 26, 2012

Anyone know or have experience with some fast economical ACP's?

I am hoping to be able to have cert in hand by Jan / Feb in time for some job fairs.

The thing that is causing issues is the field experience and needing time to self teach myself middle grades math.

So anyone with some helpful info will be much appreciated!

Thanks

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 26, 2012

You want to do your field experiences, education cores, and content in six months?

Is that even possible??

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 26, 2012

I don't know of any certifications that would get you finished that quickly. I'm not sure you would be able to obtain the necessary skills to run a classroom in that short of time.

5. CaliPro

CaliPro Rookie

May 26, 2012

There are numerous programs (learning teaching pedagogy) that one can finish in 2 months then you would need to do the field experience which can be done in 6 months.

George Masons FastTrack program and TexasTeachers comes to mind.

Florida's TeacherReady program takes 9 months.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 26, 2012

Do you already have a Bachelor's Degree? In that case, you are correct that Florida has a program for you. I have worked with several teachers that have completed that program and they have been quite successful in the classroom.

7. CaliPro

CaliPro Rookie

May 26, 2012

yes I have a bachelors degree already. hence looking into the alternative route.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 26, 2012

Why don't you look into those, then, since you are trying to do this quickly?

9. CaliPro

CaliPro Rookie

May 26, 2012

I have. Looking for something quicker than 9 months and I think the costs of George Mason might be to much for someone out of state.

10. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

May 26, 2012

I went through Texas Teachers and they are great and fast! You could definitely be finished by December. Once your enrolled you take your content exam (TExES test), complete 30 hours of classroom observations, take some online courses (there are about 30 courses that take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to complete) and complete 6 internship projects.) After that you are ready to begin the clinical/student teaching phase. You must have the $4,000 balance paid before entering clinical/student teaching. In this phase you are an unpaid student teacher for 4 months.. During this 4 months you take 1 more TExES exam and then...DONE!

Please note: This may not be the best option if you don't have any experience in Education. I had worked in an elementary school for 4 years as a dedicated/long-term substitute and also took many education electives in college and well as summer professional development.

11. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

May 27, 2012

In NC if you have a bachelors degree and 24 credit hours in the subject you want to teach you can begin teaching immediately. It's what I did. You just have to find a school willing to hire you. Here's a website with more info. http://www.ralc.us/

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 27, 2012

Antioch McGregor has some programs.