Fast Workers

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teacherpassion, Sep 9, 2015.

1. teacherpassion

teacherpassion New Member

Sep 9, 2015

I am new to all of this. I am a senior Early Childhood Education major, so I'm almost there, but I still have so many questions! :confused: For starters, does anyone have any good ideas about what to have students do when they finish their work faster than others?

3. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Sep 10, 2015

How old are these students? What kind of "work" are you referring to?

4. teacherpassion

teacherpassion New Member

Sep 10, 2015

I was hoping to find ideas for preschoolers. I taught at a daycare this summer. I would give them an activity, and there were always kids who finished before the other students. I struggled to know what I could have them do for 5-15 min. that would be productive. If you don't have something for them, they will be all over the room.

5. goofydad21

goofydad21 Rookie

Sep 10, 2015

Whenever we are doing an activity in my class (I teach 4-5 yr olds) I would usually try and expand the activity for the ones who were done, so if it was art and I had some quick ones I would try and give them more ideas on what they could add, trying to get them to have more details. If it was just an activity that had a clear beginning and ending I would usually have them sit down at a table or on the floor with a book or a puzzle, quiet activities they could work on while their friends finished up.

6. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Sep 14, 2015

There shouldn't be TOO much teacher-directed work in early childhood. Goofydad gives some good tips, but you really want to limit the amount of waiting around any preschooler has to do!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2015

Given this preK, I'd go with tubbing choice when work is done. When I taught preK, I had center rotations- my center, aide center ( both of these were theme related and phonics, math, fine motor based), and tubbing center. My tubs had a variety of manipuatives for sorting, building...great for anguage development ("my tower is taller than Susie's", "I have more red blocks than green blocks")

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2015

This.

I hardly ever do any activity that everyone is doing at the same time. They rotate centers and then can do free play. I also have a busy box with activities they can do when they are finished.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2015

When I was teaching, I had many manipulatives for those who finished early. I usually had some new, special surprises in my closet that I would save for just those times. They just loved it!

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 16, 2015

I sent my Pre-K kids out to centers as they were done with their work. It also helped the kids to actually finish their work & not just look/play around, because I wouldn't let them leave the table until their work was done.