Fast Paced Interview Process and Demo Lesson Help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LUCHopefulTeach, Jul 21, 2011.

1. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

This is a bit of a whirlwind.

Yesterday, I emailed my resume to the P of a high performing CPS school that I am very interested in. Well, 35 minutes later I received a phone call from the P on his cell phone inviting me to an interview today at 8:30am. I gladly accepted! :D

Today I went to the school and had my interview. It was kind of a weird interview, only 5 questions, and I was told that it was a screening interview and step 1 of a 3 step process. The P and AP afterwards asked me to wait outside for them to discuss and decide whether I would be moved along or not. Five minutes later I was called in for the second round with the grade level team. She asked if I was interested and I said YES! Well, the second round interview was today, the same day, at 10:15am. Yes, I really did have both the first and second round interviews with only 60 minutes in between.

The second round went great. It was more involved and I answered about 15 questions. I completed a data analysis and writing prompt portion after the panel interview. I was told to wait outside again and then I went in to discuss my analysis of the ISAT data. Immediately, I was asked to come back tomorrow morning to teach a demo lesson!

It was the fastest paced interview process I have ever seen or heard of. I am so excited, anxious, and overwhelmed.

My demo lesson is going to be a 30 minute lesson for 15 students on compare and contrast where I have to integrate science. Any advice or suggestions?

3. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

What grade level?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

What grade level?

Do you need to focus on any other subject or just science?

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

What grade level? For my 3rd graders, I do a compare/contrast activity with plants--I give each group a bunch of grass (dug up with the roots) and a radish. They use hand lenses, etc. and record their observations using a venn diagram. This leads to discussing the two types of roots and their different functions.

6. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

Last year's 5th graders incoming 6th graders.

The main objective is that students will be able to compare and contrast but I need to faciliate that through science.

7. meggierie

meggierie Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

First of all, congratulations!! You made it through two rounds of interviews! How scary to sit and wait right there knowing they will tell you to your face if you moved on or not.

I am not a math or science teacher, but I remember hearing from teachers on a hiring committee at a school I student taught at that one teacher did something they really liked. This was a language class so she was able to incorporate it into the lesson, but she had them make name cards for their desk, giving them the instructions in the target language and modeling it for them. It would probably take too long for a math/science lesson to spend five minutes on name cards, especially if it's younger students who might take more time. But if you call on students, it would be a great idea to ask for their names and then respond to them by name.

I just remember them saying none of the other teachers seemed to care what the kids' names were (because you only get 30 minutes!) but they really appreciated that this one teacher incorporated that personal connection into her lesson. She did get hired too!

Oh, and they were really focused on checks for comprehension, but didn't talk about that nearly as much as the name thing.

GOOD LUCK!!! I am sure that you will do great!

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 21, 2011

I agree with the PP--a Venn diagram is great. You can compare two types of plants, shells, or other natural objects. Be sure to bring in some of the science process skills (observation, communication, classification, measurement, inference, and prediction). Process is HUGE in science education; just as important as content. Good luck!

9. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

Very scary!

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

I agree with Rainbowbird! Very important to get in as many of these skills as possible. I would try to use the words as I had students work (please observe, or lets predict).

I would do something that would get their interest! Maybe work with bubbles on a nice day. They could compare and contract different bubble solutions. Then maybe throw in a third kind of bubble mix and have the predict what will happen. Then compare with the other two and their predictions.

There are lots of fun food labs if going outside is too much.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

Another idea that I use in my classroom is a large graphic organizer (a Venn Diagram or Semantic Feature Analysis in your case) and then have the students add post-its with their ideas.

I often say, What a great idea! Will you get a post-it and add that to our graphic organizer!

(It gets the students writing and moving and saves me from having to be near the board.)

12. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

Since I don't have a lot of time with the students and the focus is much more on language arts (he said this twice) I'm thinking that I need something more basic like...

--Compare/Contrast 2 types of plants
    --Compare/Contrast 2 types of leaves
    --Compare/Contrast the simple life cycle of plant vs. animal
    --Compare/Contrast 2 organs

What do you think?

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

You have to be careful with venn diagrams because sometimes it's not clear what is being compared and contrasted. I had a workshop this year where they used triangles to compare and contrast, I wish I had the folder with me, but it's in my classroom. You definitely want to give students parameters because sometimes they are just listing things that don't really relate.

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

Check into a semantic feature analysis if you want to compare and contrast objects.

15. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

I will most likely give them a reference sheet with information on it about what they are comparing and contrasting so they are not necessarily throwing things out there that do not relate.

16. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 21, 2011

I did that for a demo lesson. I brought the cards and markers and asked all students to write their name nice and big. I made sure I had enough markers to pass around so that it would take less time. It only look less than 5 minutes and I was able to call their names when they were participating. This felt so much better since I didn't want to call on a student by "you with the red shirt or something". The P and the other 3 people observing must have liked it because I got that job.

17. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

Then maybe show the students two short science demonstrations.... I think that you need to do something engaging to get them interested in the lesson and wanting to participate.

18. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

How about comparing and contrasting animal groups, such as birds and mammals? I would start off with a huge venn diagram on the board with various pictures of mammals and birds, maybe 1 picture for each student. Have them place the animals on the sides of the venn diagram. Then, you could have sentence strips listing the characteristics of mammals and birds ready to go. Practice reading through the characteristics together, and then have the students place the sentence strips in the correct parts of the venn diagram. Brainstorm words to signal similarities and differences. Have students work in pairs to write a paragraph of similarities and differences between mammals and birds. To end the class, you can have the students form an inner and outer circle to share their writing. As time allows, have the inner circle rotate to share with the next group.

19. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

After looking at the 5th standards, keeping in mind that it's 90% a LA lesson and 10% science, and what the students should have already learned I have narrowed it down to these two choices...

Compare and Contrast Lungs and Heart
    Compare and Contrast Physical and Chemical Change

What do you think?

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

I would start with the difference between "compare" and "contrast."

I'm not sure you can assume the kids know (in fact, far too many adults don't seem to.)

And your categories are pretty broad and unrelated. I think that if you want the science to be human physiology, maybe you compare and contrast first the heart and lungs, then arteries and veins and so on.

Also, are you sure the kids actually know anything about the heart and lungs?? Or might you be better off talking about things you can be sure they know-- say rain and snow, or autumn and spring.

21. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

I can't assume that they would know about anything so I would be giving them a handout to read and discuss in small groups on whatever topic I chose.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

Best wishes.

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2011

I just wanted to say good luck! What a whirlwind of an interview process!!!

24. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

It's "supposed" to rain tomorrow so I went with Alice's suggestion of rain and snow hoping for good timing!

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2011

That should be good! What are you going to do for the lesson?

26. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

Students are going to read a quick (8 sentence) handout with information on rain and snow, then thin they are going to think pair share about the similarties and differences they found including their background knowledge, and finally use post-it notes and a large whole class venn diagram.

27. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2011

That sounds good! I'd make sure that the handout is easy to read for all levels of readers. One things I've been reading about in my book club for school is that often "grade level" texts don't work for all readers because the struggling ones get left behind- just something to think about since you are creating (I think) the handout. :)

28. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 22, 2011

Best of luck with the demo today!

29. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 22, 2011

Good LUCK!

30. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2011

Good luck!

31. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Jul 22, 2011

You will do great!

32. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 22, 2011

This is a great idea; I have done similar things (student-guided research activities) in class and the kids just love it--in fact, I did it something similar for my last eval and the P loved it too, lol....the idea that the kids aren't just sitting but are actively engaged (mine was with 6th graders).

Best of luck and I hope you have great news later today!!

33. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

Good luck today1

34. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 22, 2011

So it didn't go as well as I wanted.

They were having four of us, I went second, teach the same lesson (comparing and contrasting integrating science) to the same class of 6th graders. Let's just say that since the lessons were back to back that the kids were not engaged or excited and it was really nothing new for them. :( I couldn't even image going 4th! :eek:

35. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 22, 2011

Oh geez, that's not a great set up at all. Well, like you said, at least you weren't 4th! Hopefully they will look at what you had planned and envision how it would have been if that was the only lesson on that topic that day.