Farthest You'll Drive for Work

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 12, 2009

What's the farthest you'll drive for your job?

I've never had to do this yet, but I wouldn't want to drive any farther than 45 min, maybe an hour one-way.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 12, 2009

I'm not a "commuter" kind of person, I guess. I drive a whopping 8 miles a day. For the first half of my career, I drove a whole 2 miles a day.

When I was doing my student teaching, I actually moved to that city because I didn't want to drive 35 miles to work each day.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2009

I drive a whopping 8 minutes if I hit the lights wrong! Since returning to work 10 years ago, I've been extremely fortunate to live within 15 minutes of work. I don't mind driving but, with my daughter being as involvedas she is in extra-curricular activities, being close does make life much easier! If I didn't have to worry about having to pick up or drive Lauren somewhere, and lived somewhere where snow wasn't an issue in the winter, I would drive up to an hour each way for a fabulous job.

5. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2009

I am 45-50 min right now and I can tell you its really hard when you have to stay late! and more often than not I stay late!

I am looking to move closer for the next school year! I wouldnt mind a 10-15 min max. :)

6. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 12, 2009

30 minutes, maybe a few over...anything 45+ would be too much for me!

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 12, 2009

I am blessed to be 5 min from my job and will never again take a job with a long commute. So I say. I should take that back. How about, I am blessed to be 5 min. from my job and hope to always be so blessed!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2009

I drive 15-20 minutes, tops.

I think the distance factor depends on a lot of things though. If I was miserable in my job and got a great offer further away, I'd make the drive so as not to cause upheaval for my kids/husband with relocation.

I have a colleague who is young, loves living in Hoboken (hip NJ urban area-lots of great restaurants, city view, good 20s-something social scene) and she is willing to make the commute which some days, depending on traffic can take SOME time. Another colleague commuted an hour or more from New Brunswick for the first three years until tenure. Some other colleagues commute from NY City or some counties in NY state which in traffic or bad weather can take over an hour. To them, it's worth the drive to work in our district and still live where they love and can afford.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 12, 2009

I never even manage to get through an entire song on the radio before I'm at work. Some co-workers talk about listening to books on tape during their commutes. I'm thinking :confused:. I'd never get through a book.

It does take me longer to get home in the afternoons. It's 4.1 miles to get home, but it's only 4.0 miles to get to work. :D

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2009

Before I had kids, distance wasn't a concern. I would have driven up to about an hour.

My priorities are different now. And I'm lucky enough to have found my dream job 12 minutes away if I can make the lights :)

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2009

I drive about 20 minutes. Last year we had to take a different route most of the year because of construction, and it took about 30 minutes.

There's a school probably less than a quarter of a mile from my house. I could drive there in under 30 seconds and walk in less than 5 minutes. My first year I didn't have a choice which school to work at (I wanted a job!), but now I love my school and don't want to move.

I probably wouldn't want to drive more than 30 minutes.

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 12, 2009

Last year I would drive about an hour in the winter to one of my two schools, and would drive two minutes to the other school.

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 12, 2009

I drive about 30 minutes to work-- I couldn't do anything more than that. Most of the teachers in my school have a commute similar to mine. When it rains, my commute is even worse; people in this area can't drive to begin with, but in rain they freak out. (Don't even get me started on the one or two times we might get snow.) Anyway, it's taken me over an hour to get to school in bad weather.... like on the first day, when I passed five accidents. At least I leave my home super-early.

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2009

lilmisses, I am just happy to hear that you are driving to work. Glad you have a job. My first job was about 15-20 minutes away. Then I lived about 8 minutes away which took me about 20 minutes to drop the kids off at school. Now it takes me five minutes max.

15. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Sep 12, 2009

It takes me only two minutes to get to work...of course, that's walking. It's only a 1/2 block, so if I drove it'd be about 15 seconds :) That's the best part of my apartment :lol:

16. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 12, 2009

Awww, thank you!! You're so sweet! :hugs:

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2009

My commute is 45-60 minutes each way.

(on a bicycle)

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 12, 2009

I'm doing about 1.5 hours each way. One a good day. Last Friday it took me 3.5 hours to get home because of Labor Day traffic and one of our bridges was closed. I love my job more and more each day, but the driving is a MAJOR headache. I had to work today (Saturday) because I'm taking Tuesday off, and we're in Monterey for dh's triathlon tomorrow. I had to drive up to work (1.5 hours), pick up my student, drive another hour to the zoo, drive an hour back, drop her off and then drive 1.5 hours back to Monterey. Needless to say, I'm SICK of driving.

It's a lot, but again, I love my job. We're working on trying to move closer somehow.

19. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 12, 2009

My commute is about 25-30 mins. But I also take "side"roads for part of that. This is really my max. We get significant snow up here, so I have always taken that into consideration because schools never close. For my second job, I am only 8 minutes away. eventually, I will apply to one of the two school districts that cover the area where I live, so I will be even closer. I have commuted 40 mins. 1 way once and that got real old real fast.

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 13, 2009

I don't care...I just want a freakin' job...

for my part time job i currently drive 45 min one way

21. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 13, 2009

It takes me about 7 minutes to get to my school. But I don't mind driving. I would probably go up to 45 minutes as long as my ipod and starbucks were with me :)

22. aubrey32513

aubrey32513 New Member

Sep 18, 2009

Long distance

A friend of mine drives 2-3 times a week from Las Vegas Nevada to Barstow, California. That is like 2.3 hours each way. Crazy. He would lose the seniority, so he stays in Calif, but lives in Nevada.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 18, 2009

Now that's really something! He doesn't want to live in CA huh?! :D