Farthest Distance You've Travelled Alone?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 27, 2010

I have driven 5 hours by my self. from SLC to Vegas

I flew by my self from SLC to Orlando.

When i was in fourth grade I flew with my brother (5th grade) from SLC to Colorado Springs. By our selfs, this was pre-9/11 it was super cool to fly as an unaccompanied minor. We got extra stuff from flight attendants and got to meet the pilots.

2. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2010

I drive about 500 miles home to my parents' a few times a year.

This summer, I flew from Indianapolis to Thunder Bay, Ontario (with a layover in Toronto) by myself...

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2010

For all of you who have driven about 2+ hrs, do you rent cars?

I remember, when I was younger, my parents & I had to go to a city an hr away to do things maybe once or twice a month & my parents rented a car every time because they didn't want to put that wear & tear on their own cars. My dad thought it was so worth doing.

These days, if I have a need to drive 2+ hrs, I'll rent a car.

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

We only rent cars if we're on vacation or the car is getting work done, otherwise we always drive our own cars even if it's a few hours away because then you're just spending gas money.

5. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Jul 27, 2010

I flew from Syracuse NY to Seoul... quite the trip and one I will never forget.. you learn alot when you travel alone!

I traveled alone often when I was in my 20's, but now I am terrified to travel alone with my kids!:unsure:

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 28, 2010

I've flown alone more than I've flown accompanied - to Europe, New York and Seattle from Southern California. The longest road trip I've ever done was accompanied (and a loooong time ago), but the second longest was just a couple of years ago (So Cal to Tacoma by way of Redmond, OR).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  7. MoreToLearn

MoreToLearn Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

I loved Seoul! Once I got there, I was pretty much never alone, though. LOL! I took a walk one evening five minutes away and my roomate freaked out that I could have gotten lost or kidnapped!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 28, 2010

Let's see. I drove from Texas to Maryland for a job by myself. My husband and kids stayed behind.

I drove from Texas to Georgia and though I technically had a 13 year old brother with me... he somehow don't count. The air conditioner broke. The motel we stopped at flooded and they blamed me. The dog was a nervous animal. The cat was worse. The cat kept trying to jump out of a barely cracked window at 70mph. The cat managed to figure out that my brother doesn't guard his presence very well when he got out so the cat shot out of the car in several places and it was hell getting him back.

I rode on a plane with my little one across country (forget where) along with my dog and cat (both in carriers) and a carseat. We had a stop over and needless to say I needed help. So the golf cart people were great. I got on the plane and it got grounded due to an impending snow storm on the other end BUT I couldn't hear and I was hunched over and literally everyone was off the plane before someone realized I was still on it.

I have ridden from Texas to California on a train. I had my 2 year old teething toddler with me at the time.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 28, 2010

I live in Alabama. One summer I went on a 3 week visiting friends and family thing. I drove to Michigan to visit my cousin and her family, then I went down to Cincinnati to visit a friend there and then on to the far side of Iowa to visit a friend there. Took me 2 days to get back because of the road construction that had me at a stand still in Missouri. I loved being on the road alone!!! Had the radio blaring and not a care in the world!!

10. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

I've driven from Florida to Ohio by myself...STRAIGHT THROUGH 15 hrs. Relax everyone. I LIKE to drive...even alone.

I drove from Ohio to Dallas...20 hrs. No stopping.

I often fly by myself. It's relaxing for me.

When I FINALLY graduated from college, I bought myself an all-inclusive 5 night/ 6 day trip to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. I went by myself and was a little nervous at first. Took a bunch of books and read by the pool! Best vacation so far! Didn't have to answer to a soul.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 29, 2010

Now that's brave! I've flown several times for no longer than several hrs at once. I don't know if I'll ever get used to it.

12. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 29, 2010

Guess I should re-phrase this...Once I get on the plane it's relaxing.

I'm the person that needs to be at the airport SUPER early. Well, AT LEAST 2 hours early. Ha!

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

I flew from Calif to Taipei, then to Hong Kong and back for work (by myself).

I've driven all over by myself and I've never rented a car to do it. I drove my '74 Super Beetle up and down I-5 from the southern to northern Oregon border about 100 times in college.

I drove from Indiana to Tennessee by myself to see my new nephew.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2010

Oh yeah, I didn't assume that you yourself flew the plane. For me personally, yes, I'll fly on a plane because I want to travel & see the world, but being up in the air gives me a slightly nervous feeling the whole time. When that plane has landed, I'm saying, "Thank God for keeping me safe!" :)

15. OedipaMaas

OedipaMaas Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

Flying alone is second nature to me. I'm from NYC, where my family still lives, but I've lived in CA since coming here for college at 18, so I'm an old hand at those cross-country flights. I've also done a fair amount of traveling by myself for work. I did a homestay in Spain when I was fifteen, and I flew by myself, though I think I met other kids in the program while waiting to board the plane. The farthest I've ever flown on my own was from Budapest to San Francisco. I traveled to Europe with a buddy in college, she got on a train to Italy where she was going to study abroad, and I got on a plane to go back to school.

I don't really like driving, and I really don't like driving alone. I think an hour or two is probably as far as I've ever driven by myself.