Farthest Distance You've Travelled Alone?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2010

What's the farthest you've ever DRIVEN alone?
    What's the farthest you've ever TRAVELLED (by air, sea, train) alone?

In my whole life, I've only driven alone barely an hour (1-way). Everything so far has been pretty local. I've nev had a reason to travel alone yet, so so far, nev.

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2010

I've never flown alone, although being the one in charge of teens is almost scarier.

I regularly drive 3 hours alone to my parents, and I also drove that far to visit friends, but probably not much more than that.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2010

I drive from NC to MI and back a few times a year alone. 700 miles (10.5-12 hours).
    I also will fly back and forth alone as well.

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

I regularly drive 6 hours from my home to my parents house across the state....

When I was 17 I flew from Spokane to Seattle to New York by myself.....had a stop over in Minn/St. Paul...had to change planes....scary, but hey! I did it!
    Then my cousin (same age) and I flew to Japan together!!!! My sister was living over there so she met us at the airport....oh, we did have to change planes there too!

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2010

Trying to think . . . I think my longest drive by myself (no kids even) was probably from Pascagoula MS to Norfolk VA

And furtherest I have traveled by myself (again no kids) was from LAX to Raleigh, NC

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 26, 2010

I've driven a couple of hundred miles by myself. It was for a school-related trip.

I've never traveled any way other than by car.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2010

When I was 18 I took a greyhound from Sacramento CA to Raton NM (33 hours) for a summer job. At the end of the summer, I decided to fly home. I'd never ridden in an airplane before which was funny, considering I'd already enlisted in the Air Force and had selected a job where I would spend most of my time flying.

When I was 25 I drove from California to Little Rock AR. I think it took six days - I got stuck in Gallup NM due to a snowstorm, and ended up going by way of El Paso TX. That was about 2300 miles.

In the Air Force, I flew about 1.5 million miles. But almost all of that was as part of a flight crew unless you got separated from your crew, which I never did.

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

Atlanta to San Diego in 2006. By plane.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

I travel back and forth to my hometown several times a year t visit my mom and best friend. In 2004 I traveled from Texas to Germany to visit my husband overseas.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2010

Driving, Alone: A little less than an hour for college-related business. I've never braved a big city...scary! :unsure:

Other, Alone: Not happened.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 26, 2010

Driving: Ann Arbor, MI to Homestead, FL. 1400 miles according to googlemaps. I did that driving, with only a stuffed dog to keep me company...

Fairly often, I did the trip from Homestead, FL to Alpharetta, GA, which is about a 12 hour drive.

13. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I've driven to Las Vegas and back a few times on my own (about 4 hours). I've done three solo vacations to Europe, and that's the farthest I've gone on a plane.

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2010

2,416 miles driving by myself. From an opal mine in Nevada, where I left my son with his grandparents for a few weeks, across Montana, Wyoming, Minnesota, up and across Canada, and into Maine. I camped most of the way (by myself). I was very careful to pick full campsites. The neatest campsite was in the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming. I set up camp in some pines with purple lupines all around me, and woke up to a sprinkling of snow all over the ground. It was incredibly beautiful! (and cold!) The family across the road from me invited me over for some hot breakfast before I left.

That was an incredibly beautiful trip. I only got nervous once, and pulled up the tent, threw it in the back of the car, and went to a motel. The campground was just too remote for me, and there weren't any people there. Scary.

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 26, 2010

Driving: Washington to Arizona but...technically, my dad and mom were in a car in front of me.

Flying: Spokane to Miami

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 26, 2010

I have driven to Denver from my home (about 5 hours) several times by myself. My sisters live there. Most of the time I'm with family though.

When I was a kid, I used to travel by Amtrak train to Denver by myself. I don't remember being scared, even though I had to get on at 3am. I was between 10-15 years old doing that.

Flying...I flew to Huntsville AL for Space Camp by myself, and in February of this year flew to Houston for a Space Educators Conference alone (unless you count the baby I was pregnant with at the time!).

Oh, and when I was in high school I won a trip to Washington, DC and flew there alone. I flew back with a kid I had met while there.

Interesting question! I really don't travel alone all that much. I hate driving alone because I get bored, and want to talk on my phone all the time!

17. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

From Salmon, ID to Vancleave, MS is approximately 2200 miles one way, a 35 hour trip in the vehicle not counting stops and layovers for sleep. 35 hours driving time. There and back again, three times by myself. Another time with my dad but we went all over and made the same trip in closer to 4400 miles one way. However, I wasn't alone for that one.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2010

I had to drive 4 hours when I was away at college and wanted to visit home.

19. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

When I was 19 or 20, I flew to England by myself to meet my FI family.

20. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 27, 2010

I applaud you because I would be WAY to scared to do that! There is something about camping that freaks me out. It probably has to do with all the horror movies made about campers!

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 27, 2010

at 22 I flew from Portland Oregon to Portland Maine and back again. At 23 I flew from Seattle WA to Portland Maine and back again (actually probably did this about two more times). When I was 25, I drove from Long Beach WA to Seattle spend the night at a friends house. Drove to Montana (spent night in hotel). Drove to Michigan (spent night in Hotel). Went to the Upper Peninsula and stayed at a friends for a week (believe it was about 2200 miles). He drove with me the rest of the way to Maine.
    At 31, I drove every weekend 220 miles one way to come home (about 4 hrs).

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

Driving Alone: Lawrence, KS to Davenport, IA (600ish miles)

Train Alone: Lawrence, KS to Davenport, IA
    Flying Alone: Kansas City to Washington, DC

23. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

Um, I flew from Florida to California by myself during college, but when I was 17 I flew from Louisiana to Boston to start college all by myself. I've driven south Florida to north Louisiana several times by myself.

24. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2010

I flew from where I live in Upstate NY to Colorado (about 1500 miles) alone to check out the area where I had been offered a job. I got stuck in Chicago overnight on that trip! Also, got stuck overnight in Detroit when I visited home over Christmas. So my record for flying alone is getting stuck in an airport overnight two out of two times!

For driving I've driven to Maryland (about 350 miles) a few times by myself to go to job fairs and interviews.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 27, 2010

I don't think I've driven alone to someplace more than an hour away.

When I was in collge I flew to Texas (from NY) alone to visit a friend and that was my first plane trip.
    I also used to take the train from NY to VA alone all the time to visit friends. The only thing I didn't like was getting on the train in NYC at 3am. Otherwise, it was nice to be alone.

26. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 27, 2010

In college, I regularly drove two hours home from college alone. I really don't enjoy driving so I didn't care for it.

By plane, Dayton Ohio to LA to visit my old roommate.

27. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jul 27, 2010

Driving alone: about 6 hours for a wedding and then back the next day!
    Bus alone: about 24 hours
    Flying alone: from Brisbane, Australia to London

28. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

Driving alone: Sacramento, CA to Columbus, OH (did this several times when my husband was in the Air Force)

Flying alone: Bismarck, ND to Columbus, OH (this took a full day; there is no easy way to get out of ND!)

29. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

driving - to Rhode Island for college 4 hrs. Boston - 6hrs for a wedding
    flying - I have flown to Bermuda, Florida and home from Denmark by myself.

30. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 27, 2010

By car, 2 1/2 hours to my parents' house.
    By plane, overseas to Europe-10 hours with layovers.

31. MoreToLearn

MoreToLearn Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

Driving only a couple of hours, but I flew from Indiana to Seoul, Korea.

32. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2010

I've been to Europe and back alone. Obviously, I didn't drive! I think the longest I've driven alone would be 5 hours to visit a boyfriend in college....

33. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 27, 2010

I've driven about 4 hours alone, but I don't trust my car to go much further so I haven't gone to visit a friend that's about 6 hours away.

However, I flew from Minn/st. paul to Valencia, Spain alone. I transfered planes in Chicago and London. London was scary because I had to change terminals and take a tram between then. I hate flying so that was quite the adventure!

34. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

Driving-IL to FL (I stopped overnight in TN)
    Flying-West Palm Beach to O'Hare or Midway(I often fly this route alone)

35. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Jul 27, 2010

I drove 800 miles alone a few years ago...

36. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 27, 2010

Driving alone, about 1 hour and a half.
    Travelling alone - never

I wish I would have though, because now at 40 and never having done much of any travelling alone or with company, I find even the thought very scary. It's stupid, but now I feel sort of superstitious as though if I travel, something horrible will happen and it scares me. We are about to go visit some family in a couple of weeks about 6 hours away and we are driving. Truthfully, I'm terrified even though I'll be with my family. Looking back, I would have done more when I was young.

37. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

Driving alone - 9.5 hrs (544 miles)
    Flying alone- Lexington, KY to San Diego, Ca

38. nykteacher

nykteacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I've flown from NYC to Melbourne Australia by myself, and then again with my then 6 month old daughter 3 years later. The longest drive was from NYC to Langhorne PA. Technically, my 2 kids were in the backseat, but fast asleep both ways!

39. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

longest drive alone- san francisco to Utah about 11 hours

40. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

Driving and the train alone: Probably 1.5 hours each way from college to home.

Plane: Does sitting apart from your family count? =) My brother and I sometimes had to sit in separate seats several rows away just to get on a flight since we often flew stand-by!

41. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 27, 2010

Driving alone: 3.5 hours, I don't get out much