Farm Unit

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by soonteacher, Apr 11, 2009.

1. soonteacher

soonteacher Rookie

Apr 11, 2009

Hi

I am doing a farm unit for a 1st grade class and am need of one more big topic. I have farm safety, farm animals, and farm chores/jobs. I just need one more, but I am not having any luck.

any ideas?

Any fun activity ideas?

thanks!

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 11, 2009

What are some of the activities you already have planned out?

4. soonteacher

soonteacher Rookie

Apr 11, 2009

Animal lesson: how animals help us (by-products etc...), petting zoo, "Old McDonald", graphing favorite animals...

Safety: I have grain safety, farm machinery, etc...

Working on the farm: Planting-kids will plant something, harvest-things we make from corn and soybeans, farmer's market, chores-carrying buckets of corn etc...

This is all I have. I have a couple others, but it is hard to explain on here. But I just need one more topic...I just don't know what.

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 11, 2009

Hmm... This might be tied too closely to your animal lessons, but we do the food chain (grains --> animals --> people). We make TLC art for each animal and the kids write about what that animal produces and gives us or other animals.

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 11, 2009

soonteacher - I was raised on a farm near Sioux City! My 90 year old dad still lives there.

I see that you have farm animals. How about learning about farm crops? With this being springtime, you could even plant some of them for one of your lessons. Iowa is pretty much corn and soybeans. So, you could discover what other American farmers plant and what they do with those crop when they're harvested.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 11, 2009

Perhaps, classifing the different types of animals. A cow, horse and goat are mammals because of : fur/hair, live births and milk.

Chickens and ducks are birds because of: two legs, feathers, eggs.

Or life cycles?

8. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 11, 2009

My grade level incorporates a section on different types of farms. We make a little booklet about orange farm, dairy farm, banana plantation, rice paddies & cattle ranch.

We have some websites and/or powerpoints that we show the kids to explain how these different types of farms operate.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2009

Foods grown on farms- tie to nutrition, you could plant seeds, make a salad...

10. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Apr 12, 2009

This sounds like a good idea to me. I grew up on a small dairy farm in Virginia, and it's very different from a beef cattle farm. Or even very different from a large milk-cow operation.

Alternatively, you could throw some stuff about horse farms in there. If you need any help with horse lingo, activities, etc, PM me. Horses are my own personal passion (and therefore couldn't resist tossing that in). It's not really the "farming industry", but boarding / training horses is considered an agricultural business -- at least in MO it's taxed that way.