Fantastic interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TXowl, Jul 28, 2011.

1. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 28, 2011

This morning I had an interview for a 3rd grade position in the district I grew up/student taught in. It was BY FAR the best interview I have ever had (which considering this was number 16 this year...) and I really feel like I would be a good fit. It was very relaxed and it truly was a conversation. I would tell them about something, which would remind someone else of something, etc. I'm VERY hopeful that this is the one. The P is the one who emailed me back immediately after I emailed my resume and I was the first one she called to set up an interview. They are only interviewing 5 or 6 people and she said that they will try and make a decision ASAP. When she was walking me out, the P asked if I would be in town next week because she wanted to "make sure" she could get in touch with me. That's a good sign, right? I am just so pumped after that interview. I couldn't stop smiling for almost an hour afterwards.

I have another interview this afternoon for a 3rd grade position in a neighboring district and now I'm just in such a good mood that I'm betting it goes really well too. I had an interview yesterday that went well, but it was really dry. Plus, they threw me for a loop by asking me halfway through to demonstrate how I would introduce changing mixed numbers to fractions. They had me go up to the white board and start teaching. I did pretty well considering, but it was definitely not my best.

It's now been 2.5 hours since my interview this morning and I'm still so excited. Fingers crossed! I really felt like this was not only a great fit for me, but like Alice always says, I'm also a great fit for them. When I mentioned that I was known as the "techie" on my team this year and was the one to fix technology issues, a couple of the teachers said, "Hire her. She's the one!" Ahhh.... SOOOO exciting!!!!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2011

Fingers crossed!

4. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 28, 2011

I hope you hear back soon! Keep us updated on the good news!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2011

Wow, good luck. I hope it works out, but definitely keep us updated.

6. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Jul 28, 2011

Hoping for great news soon!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2011

Good luck!

8. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 28, 2011

OMG!!!! I just got home from my interview and before I was home the P called offering me the position!! It will be official when HR calls and offers it, but there's no reason they shouldn't approve! I am beyond excited!!!! Now I just need to get released from my contract. My P was super nice when I told her and she's finding out from HR exactly what needs to be done to get me released :)

I know that it is not ideal to try to find a job past the contract deadline, but I never would have had a chance at this great job because it was just posted last week after the district finalized the budget. Woo hoo!!!!

9. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 28, 2011

Way to shine! I hope the job comes through for you!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2011

Congratulations!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2011

Wow, ~16 interviews this year and you finally landed your job!! So that means there IS hope! :D

Well, congrats!!!!!!!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2011

YAY!!! Congratulations.

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2011

I am so happy for you!!!!!!!

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 28, 2011

That is awesome! Congrats!

I can't believe that one committee had you go do fractions for them...that is just weird! If they don't think you can do fractions, they shouldn't be interviewing you in the first place!

Their loss BTW!

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 28, 2011

Yea YOU! Now you can finally make that dream classroom and entertain, teach and love your own students!

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2011

:celebrate: Congrats!

17. kiwi193

kiwi193 Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2011

Congrats!!! Did you get the job from the interview this morning or this afternoon? So happy for you!!

19. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2011

Yay!!!! Congrats to you!

20. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 28, 2011

I got the offer from the interview this afternoon. I was the last interview of the day. I knew things were going well when the P asked for my references and if I had any other interviews scheduled. When I told her I did she said she would call me by this evening to let me know. I stayed for a few minutes to finish the essay and then left. I was less than 10 minutes from the school when the P called and said I was her top choice and that she had already put in a hire request with HR. She kept saying how much they loved me and she wanted to let me know before I went to anymore interviews.

21. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 28, 2011

Rock on girl!

22. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jul 28, 2011

That is really impressive - good job!!

23. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2011

YAY for you Rice ;)

24. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Jul 28, 2011

What wonderful news!!! Welcome back to your part of the State :)

25. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 28, 2011

Thank you all so much! It still hasn't quite sunk in.

You're all going to think I'm crazy, but I keep thinking back to the interview I had this morning. The school is much smaller and is in my home district. I really feel like I would fit in with their team. However, it is very different demographically than I am used to (~75% minority, 40% Eco, 30% ESL). I'm tempted to email the P and ask where she is in making a decision because I have an offer, but if I do that and she offers I couldn't turn it down. The school that offered me is very large and the interview went well, but it wasn't as comfortable and relaxed as the other. Plus, I only met 2 of the 8 other teachers on my team. It is a great school (exemplary, only 10% Eco, every technology), but I just don't know. I would probably love it, but I keep thinking about the other school. Should I email the other P to find out? If she offers, which one do I choose???

26. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

You know.... I have taught in inner city schools, affluent schools, etc... And what I have found is that kids are kids. You have kids with problems at all walks of life. If you are looking for the easier route, it just is not out there. There are issues at both kinds of teaching situations. What is more important is how the people and the JOB feel to you. If you are around a group of dedicated professionals that spend their days helping kids, laughing with each other and learning together, THAT is your best placement. You have to go with your gut. Email the P and just let him know. If he calls back with an offer, I would take that school. I think you have already described it as a place where you feel the most comfortable. If he gives the job to someone else, well then you know that this other position is where you need to be. Good luck! It can be tough. But having a back up plan makes things SO MUCH easier!

27. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2011

Congratulations!