Family guy lesson plans

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by justdot, Oct 3, 2012.

1. justdot

justdot Rookie

Oct 3, 2012

So I'm a fan of family guy. I would like to utilize the show into my lesson plans as an enhancement or introduction to the material. Has any one successfully used the show in their lessons? I'm an English and social science teacher, btw. Thank you.

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 3, 2012

I'm not exactly sure how you could use the show for lessons...

Maybe as a unit on satire?

But the show isn't exactly appropriate either.

4. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Oct 3, 2012

I agree, it sounds like a great idea... but the show is for adults.. .not kids. I wouldn't risk it, it may offend a parent.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2012

As long as you're only using clips I guess you could find something.

Or using the characters?

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

I show the clip that spoils Citizen Kane after we watch Citizen Kane. It's about 6 seconds long.

7. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Oct 3, 2012

It's probably not a show you should use in class. In my opinion, it's not appropriate. There are plenty of other multimedia things available!

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

Are you being serious?

I'm a fan of the show Dexter, but I wouldn't show clips of it in school.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

I think it's a better idea to find material to fit the lesson, as opposed to fitting the lesson to the material.

I've never seen a whole episode. Based on the short clips I've seen, I wouldn't show it.

10. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Oct 3, 2012

I've successfully used clips in a lot of my lessons. When we were talking about invasive species, I used the episode of the Simpsons where they go to Australia and Bart brings his pet frog and it gets loose. Just this year, we were doing dilations in Math and I showed the kids the part of Honey I Shrunk the Kids where the kids were actually shrunk.

I agree, though, that finding clips to fit your lessons is better than finding lessons to fit the videos you want to watch. I also think that it depends on what level you're teaching. There are things I would show to a Grade 12 class (South Park, for example, has excellent social commentary - could be interesting for a Grade 12 current events unit or class), that I would NEVER show to a Middle School, or even Grade 10, class.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2012

I think South Park has more redeeming qualities than Family Guy.

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2012

I just started my unit on satire today, and while I reference Family Guy because my students are familiar with it, I wouldn't show it in class. (We watched the Reduced Shakespeare Company's parody of Romeo and Juliet today, and it was gratifying to see how much they enjoyed it.)

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

I find the commercials for Family Guy offensive. I wouldn't show clips of it to students.

14. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 3, 2012

Innappropriate for many reasons.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

We watched a whole episode in my pop culture class in college. I hated it TBH.

I could maybe see finding a short clip to introduce satire. I personally used Shrek for that and it worked just as well. Family Guy is offensive to so many I'm not sure it would be worth it. I tell my kids about South Park and Family Guy when we discuss satire and that sort of thing though.

16. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Oct 3, 2012

I would be highly offended as a parent if a teacher were to use this in class. I am offended by many of these so-called funny shows that are obviously made for adults, yet marketed to kids. I am selective in what I allow my children to watch, and yes, I would be offended if that were used even in high school. My kids = my choice in television viewing.

17. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 3, 2012

I wouldn't be happy if this show were used in my son's class. He wanted to watch it, we watched half an episode and it went on the banned list in my house!

18. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Oct 7, 2012

I love love love the show - BUT have never used it in a classroom. I have shown clips of Simpsons at ends of a couple of units - they do spoofs of stuff my students had read with me back when I was in a HS classroom. Was here something specific you wanted your students to see? What are you working on with them?

19. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 8, 2012

Just because you love something doesn't mean it should be used in your lessons.

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 8, 2012

I've used clips of the Simpsons, too. Their Halloween episodes are generally spoofs of literary classics, and we've shown the one where Homer narrates the Raven by Poe and the retelling of The Monkey's Paw. Those are two specific stories in our curriculum though. I wouldn't just show a random episode or try to build a lesson around the show unless I taught a media literacy class. And I certainly wouldn't do it with any grades below high school.

21. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Oct 8, 2012

I LOVE Family Guy! However, there's no way I would show it in a class because of the content. Do your students probably watch it all the time at home? Yes, but if you show it in class, you've giving legitimacy to a show that can be pretty offensive. Admin and parents will probably not take kindly to that.

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 8, 2012

I agree.

23. Ross

Ross Comrade

Oct 8, 2012

Bravo! Well said.

There is no place for any of these shows in the educational system for our children. With all the wonderful material available in media, why would we resort to lowering ourselves to showing this junk for any reason?

24. mariagarcia495

mariagarcia495 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012

It is nice idea but I think the school is not appropriate place to show it.

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 9, 2012

Like I said, I show about 10 seconds of it after we watch Citizen Kane. I also show a short clip from Animaniacs, and a short clip from Tiny Toon Adventures. They are all parodies of the movie, or referencing inside jokes about the movie. I'm trying to show my film studies students that by watching classic films, they are becoming culturally literate, and it's helping them understand popular media in a new way.

But I use the same criteria for showing clips that I do for movie in my classroom, and I don't show the whole episode. I also start with content I am teaching and use the TV clip to relate it to something else.

26. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Oct 11, 2012

Your use of clips is vastly different from showing an entire episode, just because the teacher likes it and designed a lesson plan around it. I still would not want my child watching that show, as well as others, however if my child were enrolled in your class, I would expect different forms of visual media to be presented.

FWIW, I don't allow my children to watch The Simpsons, either. I have yet, in all my soon to be 36 years, to watch an entire episode myself. It was on the banned list while I was growing up, and I have avoided it entirely.

27. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Oct 12, 2012

I don't like Family Guy and I wouldn't open that can of worms by showing it in a classroom.

28. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 12, 2012

Where to start with Family Guy... sexual innuendo, poking fun at all races and lifestyles, its TV-14 rating. Hey, I love the show, too, but it is inappropriate for children and even high schoolers.