Family Day Care

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Bengie03, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Bengie03

Bengie03 Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

I will be graduating this Fall with a bachelors degree in child development and I am considering opening a family day care with a preschool program. For the past 7 years, I have been a instructional assistant in a special needs preschool. Originally when I decided to get my bachelors degree, my plan was to go into ECSE, but in the past year or so, I've realized how truly stressful special education is, so I've been considering the family daycare, since working in a preschool, unless you get into a public school system, does not pay well. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me the pros and cons of operating a family daycare.

Thank you:)

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 9, 2013

When you say a family daycare, do you mean you will be taking young children into your own home?

I have done this, while staying home with my own children, but did not do a preschool program.

Pros: you get to be your own boss and decide how you will organize your day; you get to decide who you will accept into your preschool.

Cons: depending on your area and the competition, it may take a while to attract the number of children you need to make it worthwhile. You are dependent on others to pay you in a timely manner and pick up the children on time. You are legally liable for the children in your care. You should notify your homeowner's insurance company, and it will likely increase.

Also, you will not get any breaks if you don't have someone else working with you.

I enjoyed doing it, but I only had at most three children besides my own. The children became almost like family to us.

4. Bengie03

Bengie03 Rookie

Aug 9, 2013

Thank you, school teacher! Yes, I do mean caring for children in my own home. My plan, if I decide to go in this route, is set up a preschool program, but only do this as long as my children are young. Because I know the hours can be long.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

The tax breaks are wonderful. I did this for one year, and gave up, as it was exhausting. I know a couple people who have done this for years.