Family Competition?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sweetlatina23, Jul 21, 2011.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

My mom came home today super happy about my cousins fiancee. She got a public school job paying double what I currently make. I work at a private school and we are not paid much at all. If it wasn't for God's generous blessings in my life, I don't know how my husband and I have survived on what we make. I did have to get a second job last year, but now we are doing better. We have spending money and I can't complain. This year I will finally reach just a tad over the local poverty level. My family wasn't happy when I started at $16,000 a few years ago. As the years continued I told them I enjoyed the small community. I am now comfortable and afraid of "change." This is the first year that I didn't apply for any public school positions.

HOwever, today when they told me she got the job I felt hurt. I felt like my parents thought I couldn't or hadnt tried hard enough. I pushed for interviews, but I have never received an interview. Granted I wasn't certified to teach in our state until two years ago. I haven't really "pushed" hard for the positions. Mainly because I am happy where I am at.

It still hurts though! I can't explain how or what it was, but it was just how they some how told me. The emphasis on, well don't you have more schooling than she did? She got a job on her first try and right out of college!?!?

I'm not complaining, I am blessed. Its more of a vent. I can't help but be hurt. The districts locally had a hiring freeze, so I didn't want to risk it. She got her blessing, I just feel "confused!?" :confused:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

Yet you're in a position where you're GIVING interviews, while she's a new teacher on probation, needing a mentor to help her find her way.

Stop telling your family how much money you make; that's between you and your husband.

And if you're happy and fulfilled in your job, that's all that matters.

I cannot imagine the circumstances that would cause me to leave my current job for another.

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

I know and you are right. I have seen some of your posts and the passion you have to be a service to a Catholic school is amazing. I feel it is my vocation, maybe not forever, but it is for now. I might have my issues with the staff, but I just love the community of parents and students.

Thanks!

5. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 21, 2011

It would hurt me too to have that comment coming from my mom. Hang in there and follow what best fits for you with confidence.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

I am a mom. I just want what is best for my daughter. Knowing about a better paying job who enourage me to suggest to my daughter that she might find a better paying job. In no way is it a criticism, but a statement of fact.

7. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 22, 2011

I know my mom means well. She has always told me she is proud of my accomplishments even within the school I'm in. It just hurt a little. Throughout the day others asked me what are my qualifications, what do I have different than her, and why didnt I apply. Again, I know they mean well, but it was just a sting.

8. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 22, 2011

:hugs: I, too, teach at a private school. I make quite a bit less than your starting salary. My husband and I have also struggled. Please be encouraged in knowing that you are right in doing what you feel called to do. If ever a time comes that you want to change positions, that is fine, and your decision. The emphasis here being that the decision is YOURS. You have to do what is right by you and your husband, and what you feel makes you happy. If it were me, I would keep my salary between my husband and I, and not base my happiness on other's opinions. I hope things clear up between you and your family. I am sorry that they are comparing you guys instead of encouraging you both in your careers. Good Luck!