Family album

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kidsIam, Jul 27, 2005.

1. kidsIam

kidsIam Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

I am planning for the new school year and I want to place a picture or two on my desk. However, I though to myself that if I have pictures of my family maybe the kids should too. Therefore, I came up with the idea of having a classroom album. Each child will have one page of a photo album to place pictures of their family. Did anybody try this before? Heh… school is like a second home.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 28, 2005

Love the idea!!! :)

Can you add "1-2 favorite family photos" to your supply list? ;) Or assign the kids and their parents to create a page as 'homework"

4. talk to me

talk to me Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

good idea, i had same thing in my mind. i will try this year. :D

5. Teri104

Teri104 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I use a "Star of the Week" activity. I start the year off by introducing myself through pictures of my family, my hobbies (a shell collection), a pan of brownies (my favorite food), my son and husband visit, I point out Georgia on a map by bringing peaches for everyone (where I was born), and so on. This is spread out over the week. Then I assign weeks for those students who have September to May birthdays. I let the summer kids choose any other week. The kids love it. They may bring pets - I have had horses to snakes visit, moms come do art projects, parents talk about jobs, family members eat lunch with kids, grandparents read books, just about anything goes for that week for them. For one week they are in the spotlight!

6. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

A teacher at my old school did this every year. At the beginning of the year she would send home a page from the photo album, the kind of page that peals back, with a note attached explaining what to do. The kids were able to put pictures on both sides and any captions they wished. At the end of the year, she sent the page back home. Hope this helps! They loved it!

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 28, 2005

class photo album

If you are making a class photo album, I would make coppies of the pictures that you put in the album, I think that black and white is fine, with the exception of maybe a photo you take of the kids on the first day of school. I like the idea of the kid doing thier own page for home work, supplying them the photo coppied black and white coppies of the other pictures they want to use, and the base page. I really like to use card stock for my albums then slide them in the page protectors (the 8 1/2 X 11 size) then they can embelish or decorate the page any way they want but all the pages end up the same size.

8. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Jul 28, 2005

Great idea! I always put up pictures of the children and their families, but never thought to make a book! I think I'll be doing it now! :)

9. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

WOW! What a great idea. I tried (tried being the key word) to do student of the week last year and I found that it was soo hard to get to. Creating a photo album would be a perfect way to get to know eachother!! Thanks for another great idea!

10. newoldteacher

newoldteacher Companion

Jul 28, 2005

Here's the note I'll be sending home with my kiddies! Thanks!

CLASS PHOTO ALBUM
    Your assignment is to collect pictures of your family and place them on this piece of cardstock. You may use the back and add captions, if you like, too.  We’ll put every student’s page in our CLASS PHOTO ALBUM which will remain in our room during the year. Next May, your page will be returned. PLEASE make sure that you have your parents’ permission to use the pictures. Assignment due: AUGUST 12th

11. toot1999

toot1999 New Member

Jul 29, 2005

Hi Julie-
    I am a Language Arts teacher and I was wondering if you would share with me the list of criteria you give your students for their outline class photo album that you send them home with. I would appreciate it very much. This makes for a creative afterschool idea!

12. newoldteacher

newoldteacher Companion

Jul 29, 2005

1-pictures of you, the student
    2- pictures of your family who lives with you in your home
    3-pictures of your pets
    4-CAPTIONS may identify the persons in picture, or describe the event, date the event, etc.

Hope this helps.

13. toot1999

toot1999 New Member

Jul 29, 2005

thanks!