Families

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sweetlatina23, Dec 12, 2010.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 12, 2010

I am the youngest of 5 children. I have 3 sisters and one brother. My oldest sister turns 45 on Wednesday, my other sister is 43, the other is 35, and my brother is 40. I am 28, I was the suprise, my mom was 40 when she had me. Anyway, I have been raised with my nieces and nephews more than my brothers and sisters. I am close to my oldest sister, who still lives at home with my parents. She watches over them now, she had one daughter but she never got married.

Anyway, today we had a small dinner party for her and I was annoyed with being around everyone. I think I just took it out on my husband. I couldn't stand being in a room with them. I don't understand why, I use to love when they would all come over and visit just three years ago when I lived at home. I have since gotten married and I live three houses down from my parents. If I know they are at my moms I won't go until they leave.

My brother in law from the second oldest annoys the heck out of me, he is so rude and their kdis are getting older and are acting like their father.

The same goes for my sister in law, I feel my brother has always deserved better. She never goes to visit anymore, and my nieces are now stuck up like their mother. Harsh, but so true. My brother goes to visit my mom and dad on his days off alone, his wife doesnt work. They recently moved to a brand new house, have new cars, and are NOW very well off. Before they struggled, like my husband and I do now. They have since drifted away and pretend they are too good for us.

I also feel like I don't fit in because I dont have kids. I can be happy and love to see my sisters and brother on a one on one basis, but when its all of us, I get fussy.

I just don't know if its me, or does everyone have this problem? We use to be very close. NOw I feel so left out. My niece who is 23 is the one I was raised up with, she has always been like a sister. But even she is better off financially than I am...and they some how give her tons of respect.

The funny thing is, they all talk about each other when the other isnt around!?!? Yet, they act like nothing when their together, I just don't get it!! :confused:

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 12, 2010

Welcome to reality. As people get older, they change. Somehow, you deal with it.

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 12, 2010

Yeah, I guess as a young adult before I felt like it was nice to be around the family, now I can't stand them! I think I showed my attitude a bit more than I should've. I am use to it being my parents, older sister, my nephew who I have raised, and my husband. The six of us can hang out just fine, but when its ALL of us, I can't even stand them. :dizzy: Its depressing with the holidays right around the corner.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2010

Wow, I'm sorry things are so unpleasant.

I'm the second of 5. We all live within 45 minutes of the house we grew up in-- mom sold it over the summer and moved to an apartment 5 minutes away.

We all get along. Well. There's the occasional dispute, but nothing that would keep anyone away from Mom's birthday or from Christmas or anything else important.

We're there for each other. We were all together for mom's birthday party in October, and I can't wait until Christmas Eve to see everyone again. (With kids and grandkids, I think there are 32 of us)

I'm very sorry that the holidays look so glum for you.

6. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 13, 2010

Well we do get along, I think I'm the one that just doesn't care to be around them as much. My nephews are now 18 and their attitude is just so depressing. My nieces, from my brother, don't like to be at my moms. THey don't seem to like our side of the family, they are very prime and proper.

My other nieces and nephews are fine, they spend the night at my house all the time, but they are all under 15.

7. Daisie

Daisie Rookie

Dec 13, 2010

Awww...sounds like you're having a rough go of things. Hang in there though, 'cause sometimes when you least expect it, your family becomes an integral part of your life (though they can sometimes be a pain in the rear come Christmas time!)

I'm the second youngest of 4 kids; I've got 2 brothers, one older and one younger, and I've got an older sister. (My sister was actually the one who inspired me to go into teaching- she's been teaching math and phys ed. like I plan to do, and she's been a huge support during the whole student-teaching gig). All 4 of us get along really well, even though we're all over the map in terms of were we live (my sister's in Nova Scotia, and my older bro is in Montreal. My parents and little brother still live in Ottawa). I actually look forward to the holidays, 'cause it's one of the few times I get to see everyone together.

So far, none of my siblings have kids, so I don't know if things will change when there are little ones around (guess we'll find out soon enough- my sister and her husband are expecting twins in the new year!). For me it's when the extended family stops by that things get crazy, and it's not so much because they're annoying or anything, it's the preparations that are involved with having so many people around.

Anyways, I'm rambling...:eek:

-Have a great day, and good luck with the whole family issue :)

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2010

I think it's just part of growing up. You may have viewed things differently when you were younger & now that you have your "own" family even with just your hubby your views may have changed.
    I know we went to visit my sis. I was glad to see her, but I was so ready to leave. We have always been opposites... we get along, for the most part, but view things really differently.
    Just wait when you have your own kids things will be even more different... LOL!!! It's just part of life.

Don't forget to do what is best for your hubby!!!

9. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 13, 2010

Thank you both.

My husband loves my nieces and nephews, ALL of them. If he could have them all stay over all the time he would. Except I dont allow it, because it gets expensive there is a total of 15 of them. I think its more my sister in law and my brother in law. My brother has never accepted my husband, so it bothers me. HE doesn't like the fact that we meet online and the he gets along so well with everyone.
    We are my husbands family, his sister doesnt live close and both his parents have passed away.

I think i'm being a baby, since i am the baby. HAHA ..

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 13, 2010

Oh this sounds so much like many families I know! When my family would get together we would all fall back into our childhood roles! It is very annoying when you are the youngest and they act like you are still a baby. But I think this is common. AND - the holidays bring out a lot of different feelings in people.

I would say minimize your time with the "gang" and just keep the one on one with your family strong. Sadly, many of my siblings and our parents have passed away. So things go more smoothly now, but we miss them so much. Appreciate each one, one at a time. God bless!