False or deceptive advertising

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by SuzieQ, Aug 3, 2008.

1. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 3, 2008

I just came back from Offfice Depot that was having a 1 cent sale. I thought I could purchase some sale items and buy nonsale items for back to school supplies. I picked up 13 pencil boxes (quantity limited) that were under the 1 cent sign. They had about 30 left. I come up to the front of the counter with a bunch of other nonsale items and the clerk says,"Oh maam those ones are not 1 cent." I told her they were right under the sign and there were no other boxes. She then told me that she's had to tell other customers because they too were getting the wrong ones. I emptied out all my merchandise on the counter and told her loudly for other customers to hear "then there must be a problem . That is false advertizing! Take down the sign . It's as simple as that!" I walked out with no merchandise. Has anyone else gone through this ? Maybe I should have not taken it out on her but she was a manager.

3. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 3, 2008

Office Depot has done that to me. If you can prove that it was mislabeled, they are supposed to give you the marked price. Easier said than done though.

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

oooohhhh man; that happened to me once at Office Depot with a sale item. I was not in a mood for anything; just walked out of there.

5. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 3, 2008

Exactly! I should have stood up. My husband works for a store where if that were to happen, the customer would leave satisfied but I was soooo exhausted and I had my three kids with me that I just wanted to get out of there.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

I've been known to get a manager, or drag a manager, to the sign to show them what the price of something is.

My husband bought a box of wine on time, it scanned one price & was marked a cheaper price. He got it for the cheaper price, plus a penalty that the store had to give him according to Michigan law. I went to the same store the next day. They still had boxes of wine mismarked, so I got a box & had the same thing happen to me.

The cashier then told the store manager that there was a problem as this had happened yesterday! Duh! I know mistakes happen, but fix them when you learn about them!

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

SuzieQ
    I am proud of you!
    I knew I'd have an influence on other teachers

the other day I went to to Fashion Bug with DD so she could get a bathing suit I saw a cute sun dress @ $25 and said "that's a cute dress" she said "really I was just looking at it" I looked at the sign it said Half off so I said "get it I'll buy it for you" (big spender here) well the sells lady said it was not half off I said "Look at the sign and there are other dresses just like it on the rack with the sign" and I added "this wouldn't happen in a men's store" I got it for half off!

8. MsJen

MsJen Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

You're my kind of shopper Dave! Suzie Q, I would have done the same thing. I get so dang tired of false advertisements that I'm always like, "It's too good to be true!" sooo...I never end up going! I always think there's some kind of gimmick or something just to lure people into the stores. Half the time stores are hoping that by the time people get up there, they'd just eventually buy the items. NOT ME! I say, "NO THANK YOU!"

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2008

I've had the same thing happen at Office Max. I had purchased several items and it wasn't until I was home and looked at the receipt that I realized the item I thought I had bought on clearance wasn't actually on clearance--despite being on a rack marked "CLEARANCE--75% OFF" on all four sides and being one of dozens of similar items on the display (so I know it wasn't a randomly placed item set down in the wrong spot by a customer).

When I called back and spoke with the manager, he argued with me and initially refused to offer a refund. I told him that I was a teacher and usually spent hundreds of dollars annually in that store just on purchases for my classroom, not including the personal purchases I make over the course of the year. I told him that I was very disappointed, felt like I had fallen victim to a bait-and-switch tactic, and told him I wouldn't be back in the store. I also told him that I'd tell all 150 teachers at my school about my bad experience at Office Max. He backtracked and offered a refund.

I haven't ever been back to that store (although I've been in numerous other Office Maxes).

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2008

I love the store New York and Company, but they're bad about this. Luckily the first time I made a purchase there, my sister warned me to watch carefully the price of each item. Sure enough, every time I go there over half off my stuff is rung up for the wrong price. I also have many things that aren't on sale and sometimes they wont give it to you for that price. Some of it is on purpose, because they'll put it on a rack, and then only half of that rack is on sale. And today-for the 2nd time-they forgot to put something in my bag, so I have to go back for it. I live 45 minutes away from the mall, so it's not easy for me! I'm going to complain more this time, because the first time they didn't do anything about it. It cost me a lot of gas to go back, so I think they should at least give me a discount or something.