Fall Themed Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Maithal, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Oct 11, 2009

Hi Everyone!

We are doing the unit "changes" which basically means talking about things that occur in fall. We started this unit last week, but somehow I am fresh out of ideas and could use your expertise.

We follow the High Scope curriculum in my public school pre-k and for those unawre of what that means...it just means we do more "small group" activities.

So far we've done the following...nature walk, nature collage, painting with items collected outside (pine cones, leaves, etc hwere used as paint brushes), & easel painting with fall colors.

I am trying to come up with ideas for this week that are creative & fun but can also work as small group. Only thing I can think of is marble painting with fall colors, but that's not totally creative.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or websites with great ideas. I've gone on many websites, but they don't have any ideas that spark my interest or the ideas include worksheets which I steer away from in pre-k.

Thanks everyone!

Keep those ideas coming...

3. Kase

Kase Companion

Oct 11, 2009

I did fall trees with my toddlers. I painted their arm and hand brown for the tree trunk (i'm sure you're pre-k kids can do it themselves with your supervision), then I let them use eye droppers with liquid watercolors in fall colors. They squirt the watercolors onto a paper towel and let it dry. It might need to be a 2 day project. After it dries they can tear up the paper towel into tiny pieces for leaves and glue it to their tree. I also did lacing leaves with my toddlers. We painted with gourds. We cut slices of gourds and counted them. We also stacked them. Next week, we're painting with an apple cookie cutter, they're going to be decorating a pumpkin cut out. I try and find anything around the room that they could use to paint. For science and cooking next week, we're making applesauce. Try different websites. They have some great ideas.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 11, 2009

Kase......

Keep going. I have extremely young 2.5's in our group this year. I have forgotten the things the like to do.........

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 11, 2009

I feel exactly the same..........this year I just don't seem to be in the mode.

6. imat

imat Rookie

Oct 11, 2009

*Leaf Floating Place dish pans on the table with water in them and foam shaped leaves floating in each pan. Along side the dishpans place small fishnets and buckets. Have the children fish out the floating leaves with the nets. Encourage the children to sort and count their leaves by color. To add alphabetic knowledge place upper case and lower case (Ll for leaves, Tt for tree, Nn for nuts, Ss for squirrels, and Aa for acorns) foam letters into the dish pans.

*Leaf Pounding Gather a supply of fresh fallen leaves in different colors. Have a supply of white construction paper on the table and rubber mallets. Have the children place one sheet of construction paper down and place and arrangement of the leaves on top of the paper. Next have them lay another paper on top of the leaf arrangement and allow them to pound the top paper with the rubber mallet. When done have the children lift up the paper and rub off the smashed leaf pieces. They will see the print of the leaf on both sheets of paper.

More Fall Fun Ideas http://kidsworldexploration.com/id21.html

Also see Learning and Teaching With Preschoolers
    http://learningandteachingwithpreschoolers.blogspot.com/

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2009

Can you put small gourds and pumpkins and corn in a science center with magnifying glasses? Or in a math center with a balance scale?

Old fashioned - iron leaves between two pieces of waxed paper - add a frame with yarn on top and hang in the window. Some people put grated crayon in there too.

Sort different types of leaves? Match leaves by color? Sort by size?

Tub of leaves they crinkle up in their fingers for small motor and sensory experiences?

Compare fresh, soft leaves to old, dry leaves.

Leaf rubbings?

Bury hidden letters, numbers ? in a tub of leaves for them to find and identify.

Are you talking about changes in other things or just fall changes?

8. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Oct 11, 2009

Counting acorns? Or an estimation jar activity with acorns or leaves.

You can buy those dry ears of corn for squirrels to eat, they're like $5 for a big bag of them at walmart - we're going to paint with them this week. We also did last week a "made from corn" exploration time. I had all sorts of stuff made from corn - corn starch, corn meal, cornbread mix, corn syrup, popcorn, and corn chips (there might have been more too, I can't remember now! lol) and the kids got to explore all the different things and taste the corn chips. this week, we're going to make corn bread.

apple tasting is fun too! get a red, green & yellow apple, plus apple juice and apple sauce and let the kids taste them all and talk (and chart!) their observations!

this week we're taking our field trip to the pumpkin patch, so before, we're going to do some pumpkin exploration. weigh it, measure it, cut it up and explore what's inside, maybe try to count the seeds!

I love the fall! :)

9. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Oct 11, 2009

If you do some kind of painting activity..did you have them mix orange?

I love the song, the pumpkin on the vine. I had my K students mix orange to make a pumpkin, then we changed it to a jack-o-lantern, and made a third that turned into pumpkin pie. They were really cute.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 11, 2009

Grind corn. I have an Indian Bowl and grinder thing. It is an artifact, that I carefully use at school. Let the children take the dry corn off the cob, put it in the bowl and pound/grind it. I think a comerical likeness would work fine. (Like the kind you buy to hand grind spices or medications.) I have used this in classrooms from tod to 5th grade and it is always a hit.

Use breyers to paint on paper. I put out 2 or 3 autumn colors on a plate. Did the breyer into the colors, so that more than one colors gets on the breyer. Roll onto the paper. (If the kids are very young, I cut out the leaf shape for them. Older ones can do it themselves.)

Wash pumpkins, etc, in the water table.

Cook--it is science, and you can change things.

Apple prints--use the apple to dip in paint and print on paper.

Use cookie cutters to paint.

Someone suggested leaf rubbings--one of my favorite, and usually a kid favorite.

Graph the weather for a week. Or any other changes fall brings.

Clothing--how is our winter clothing different than summer's?

I love it when you ask curriuclum questions!!

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 11, 2009

I have a great craft. I will attempt to describe it, but if I am not successfull, help me out.
    3D pumpkim
    Take about 7 strips of orange paper, and one green one. Make the green one 1/2 the length of the orange ones.

Punch holes in each end of all the strips.

Stack the strips and put a brad through one end. Take the green strip and roll it for the top of the pumpkin, so that the one brad goes through both holes.

Put the other brad through the other end of the stack of strips.

Take the strips and rotate them open, so that you have a 3D pumpkin with a stem.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 12, 2009

Here is another one.

Spider Web

Take a colored paper plate and punch holes everywhere you can.

Use white yard and have the children sew--and on this, the more unplanned it is the better.

When done, the crisscrosses will look like a spider web.

Glue a plastic spider on the web.

13. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Oct 12, 2009

I just found the BEST Yes, Best website that I have found in a long time. She is a Montessori teacher but does some great things. It is mymontessorijourney.typepad.com
    Check it out!!

14. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Oct 12, 2009

I have fall ideas on my website, there are several ideas there for small group math, literacy, and art. I hope you find one to suit your needs.

15. darlin77

darlin77 Rookie

Oct 14, 2009

I give the kids an outline of a tree and several fall colored contruction papers. I have them tear off pieces of paper for the leaves, then glue them on the tree. Good for fine motor while teaching about fall colors.

16. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 14, 2009

we made soft pumpkin sculptures. Each child was given 2 knee high panty hose and I emptied a bag of pillow stuffing onto the table. they had to stuff the pantyhose. then you fasten it closed with a rubber band. then the children paint them orange (this is definitely a 2day project). When dry you lay them (Ihad some stuffed ahead of time) on top of each other and secure them together in the middle with a strong rubber band. Then you gather the tops together so if forms kind of like a squished ball. when you secure the tops together with another big rubber band, the loose ends that stick up make the stem. You could put them together first and then have the kids paint them as a group poject

17. Kase

Kase Companion

Oct 15, 2009

Oh yeah, I did fall sun catchers that we hung from the ceiling. I gave each child a square piece of contact paper and some fall colored tissue paper that they could rip up. It was great sensory and fine motor. Their fingers kept getting stuck to the contact paper and they were able to work their finger muscles with the ripping. I then helped them sprinkle glitter on it. Makinglearningfun.com has some apple tree printables for counting and matching. I also had some print outs of sequence cards showing how a pumpkin grows and how to make applesauce. My kids enjoy those as well.

18. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 15, 2009

OH, I had forgotten about the contact paper sun catcher.....I thought as far as the crayon one, and then talked myself out of it. thanks for reminding me.....

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2009

Instead of marble painting could you use acorns?!? That might be interesting. Maybe you could have some sort of little pocket (mini sandwich bag) & see how many things like leaves or acorns they can shove in there like a squirrel does.

What about making pinecone birdfeeds with pb & birdseed...would be messy but fun.

What about getting different gourds to see if they float?

How about an apple tasting graph?

Making their own fall tree. Have them draw a tree & then they can use their finger prints in different colors for the leaves.

20. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Oct 15, 2009

Fall Ideas

In our 2-3 class. We have been painting small pumpkins. Talking about the colors of fall (orange, yellow & brown). There is a sensory tub with about 2 cups of dirt and fall leaves of different colors & shapes (the parents helped us collect them over the last 2 weeks) There is a large pumpkin in the classroom. Students are taking turns painting it with water colors & then cleaning off the paint.

Our 4-5 have been learning about the letters that spell "Fall" making leaf colages & painting plates to look like pumpkins.

21. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Oct 15, 2009

We tried Blue's 3D pumpkin idea this week, and it is fantastic! I had the kids drip 3 shades of orange liquid watercolor on a 9X12 sheet of paper. When dry, the sheets were cut into six 1-1/2" strips (my kids are young 3s, so I cut them). The kids put the brads into the holes (1 on 1), and helps spread the strips. They are hanging from the ceiling, and really help make the room colorful. Thanks, Blue.

22. Kase

Kase Companion

Oct 16, 2009

The pine cone bird feeders sound really cool but instead of peanut butter since it's not allowed in most centers due to allergy, marshmallow creme or soy butter would probably work really well. I'm going to have to try that!

23. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 16, 2009

When I was a kid int he 70's the pb part was crisco. It was less licky that way too.

24. Kase

Kase Companion

Oct 16, 2009

Definitely greasy. HAHA! My toddlers would love that.

25. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 16, 2009

:toofunny:"licky"

only in a early childhood world would that be a word!

26. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Oct 16, 2009

Ha ha, I saw that word too - and thought to myself, "that's a word I would use". :) I probably do actually!!

27. Kase

Kase Companion

Oct 16, 2009

For my toddlers, it doesn't matter. I'm surprised what these kids will put in their mouths. It's so crazy!

28. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 17, 2009

well, make sure the crisco is clean then....ha....but it is a real food item.

And think of the science words you could bring in.

In my room the licking would be slower than w/pb.........i think? maybe not. hahahah