Fall student teaching

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by zmp2018, May 15, 2018.

1. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

May 15, 2018

Hi, all:

I will be student teaching during this upcoming fall semester. I am excited for it but nervous at the same time. My biggest question: what happens after fall student teaching? At that point, it will be the middle of the year for school districts, so how do fall student teachers search for jobs? Do they mostly sub and then look for jobs after the school year ends in June? This hasn’t really been discussed in all of my education courses, so I’m curious as to what the typical course of action is.

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 15, 2018

I student taught in the fall, and it was great! My program had a full course-load of classes we had to take in the spring after student teaching so I was still a student then. I never subbed, but the fact that I wasn't student teaching at the time made it easy for me to go on interviews etc.

The other beautiful thing about fall student teaching is you get to see how the teacher sets up and starts the year, which is more useful to me than jumping in mid-stream.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2018

There are sometimes mid year retirement openings. Also look for LTS jobs. Subbing builds your resume and gives a new teacher a lot of experiences to hone his/her skills.

5. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 15, 2018

Congratulations on making it this far! Hmmm, student teaching - IMO the most important factor in this critical phase of your program will be the master teacher with whom you will be working. From some of the posts about student teaching, it doesn't sound like there is a very sound procedure for vetting potential master teachers - these should be exemplary educators with a proven track record in the classroom. To optimize your experience, I would suggest that you communicate with your university supervisor your desire/expectation of being matched with a teacher who has both excellent classroom management skills and instructional expertise. Don't leave it to chance, with the possibility of ending up with someone who is burned out and just wants a break from her/his teaching duties. If you choose not to be proactive and are matched with a lemon, be sure to rattle your supervisor's cage after the first or second week at most request a change of assignment to a real teacher.

6. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 15, 2018

I looked for LTS positions and subbed ALOT! I actually ended up subbing for a couple of years after graduation and it was a great experience to see the different classes and how they were run.

7. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jun 12, 2018

I too will do my student teaching in the fall! I plan on trying to get hired on somewhere but I know the odds aren't great mid year, so I am ok with subbing for a semester. It'll be great experience and hopefully get my foot in the door somewhere.

8. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jun 12, 2018

Student teaching in the fall is the best! After you graduate, you will have the rest of the year to sub, and get your foot in the door at some different schools. Subbing will also give you the flexibility to have the time to fill out applications and go on interviews. Keep your eye out for long term sub jobs, that's how I got my job!

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2018

I actually think that student teaching in the fall is a great idea. My fall semester in grad school was easy because we just had grad classes and we went to our practicums once a week. My spring semester was really hard because we had student teaching, grad classes, AND job applications. Job applications/interviews was very stressful for me and my friends, especially because we had to student teach at the same time. I spent about 2 hours a day applying for jobs/emailing principals. It would be great to apply after student teaching! In the spring, I would definitely look for long-term sub jobs and look into day-to-day subbing. Good luck!

10. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Jun 15, 2018

I student taught this past spring; I wish I was able to do it the prior fall. Additionally, you're going in at the start of the year; it won't seem odd as it might be jumping in mid-way, when kids are already in their routines, the teacher has them "trained" of sorts and you are kind of 'just there,' but then again, that may not be a bad thing either for some people...like anything else, there are pros and cons to each. On the bright side, you'll also have half a year to sub and really get your name out there to various districts. Lastly, you can use the spring as a time to get yourself back together, subbing whenever possible, before hopefully jumping back in the next school year in a full-time capacity. Teaching programs can be stressful with coursework, student teaching/practicum related work, portfolios that states might mandate, if you are working while doing all of that...it sucks. When you're done, take a timeout for yourself as well. Fall is the better of the two.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018