Fall Reopening

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher234, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Aug 19, 2020

Hello, everyone! Out of pure curiosity, what is your school planning for the Fall and possibly beyond that?

In consideration of your school district's guidance, what are you planning to do for instruction? (e.g.: plans to teach virtually, etc.) What might your schedule look like?

My school district has planned to go fully remote until after Columbus Day. I will be providing individual instruction (work on IEP goals, ELA and Math instruction, review material from prior school year, and address academic needs) via Google Meets to each student every other day, in addition to online assignments that I will only use for data collection and not actual grades (doing the assignment=100% completion grade). On days I am not doing the 1:1 instruction, I will have the students' meet as a small group based on their grade level and I will provide about an hour with a couple breaks of Science and Social Studies instruction. A daily check-in for the whole class will also be scheduled for attendance purposes (virtual circle time and possible infusion of reading). I will also provide activities to reinforce social development and physical development weekly.
    After Columbus Day, only students in special classes will attend school in-person. If the public health situations improves, in November (when MP2 begins), all general education students can return (there is an option for them to extend their remote learning until the end of MP2, but the option does not exist beyond that.). At this point, hybrid is not part of the plan.
    The special area teachers will provide a couple activities a week. The librarian will be delivering books to the students!
    For related services, the plan is to provide this via Google Meets.

3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Aug 19, 2020

My schedule might look like this during the remote learning:
    Monday (I am at home on Mondays. I have an at-home classroom ready for my kids.)
    8:00-9:00: Post Activities for the Week and Schedule Online Assignments, Coordinate with special area staff and related service staff
    9:10-9:40: Virtual Circle Time, Read Aloud with Comprehension Questions
    9:45-10:10: Virtual 1:1 with Student 1
    10:15-10:40: Virtual 1:1 with Student 2
    10:45-11:10: Virtual 1:1 with Student 3
    11:15-11:40 Virtual 1:1 with Student 4
    11:45-12:15: Lunch
    12:20-12:45: Virtual 1:1 with Student 5
    12:50-1:15 Virtual 1:1 with Student 6
    1:20-1:45 Virtual 1:1 with Student 7
    1:50-2:15 Virtual 1:1 with Student 8
    2:20-2:45 Virtual 1:1 with Student 9
    2:50-3:15 Virtual 1:1 with Student 10
    3:20-3:45 Virtual 1:1 with Student 11
    3:50-4:15 Virtual 1:1 with Student 12
    4:15-5:00 Office Hours
    Wednesday, Friday
    8:00-9:00 Office Hours
    9:10-9:40: Virtual Circle Time, Read Aloud with Comprehension Questions
    9:45-10:10: Virtual 1:1 with Student 1
    10:15-10:40: Virtual 1:1 with Student 2
    10:45-11:10: Virtual 1:1 with Student 3
    11:15-11:40 Virtual 1:1 with Student 4
    11:45-12:15: Lunch
    12:20-12:45: Virtual 1:1 with Student 5
    12:50-1:15 Virtual 1:1 with Student 6
    1:20-1:45 Virtual 1:1 with Student 7
    1:50-2:15 Virtual 1:1 with Student 8
    2:20-2:45 Virtual 1:1 with Student 9
    2:50-3:15 Virtual 1:1 with Student 10
    3:20-3:45 Virtual 1:1 with Student 11
    3:50-4:15 Virtual 1:1 with Student 12
    Tuesday and Thursday
    8-9: Planning
    9:15-9:45 Virtual Circle Time
    10-11: Small Group Grade 2
    11:05-12:05 Small Group Grade 3
    12:10-1:10 Small Group Grade 4
    1:15-2:15 Lunch and Planning
    2:30-4:00 Office Hours

4. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Aug 19, 2020

Virtual learning at least through November. We haven't gotten the specifics yet, except that we will be teaching live for 3 to 3.5 hours a day. I'm hoping some of that will be small groups. Also, that there are break times built in, at least 10 minutes between sessions.
    ETA: we will be on "duty" for the full length of a regular school day.

Tired Teacher and Teacher234 like this.
  5. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Aug 20, 2020

Remote for students indefinitely. We meet with half our classes each day, for one hour each. We have office hours in the morning and afternoon and on Wednesdays, we don't have any classes but can use it as time to have kids make-up tests, meet with struggling kids, etc.

Tired Teacher and Teacher234 like this.
  6. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Aug 20, 2020

And I thought until after Columbus Day was bad! Special Day Classes were able to make their schedule based on student needs and instructional levels. 4th, 5th, and 6th follow their regular schedule but remotely. K-3 is asynchronous most days with a group meeting daily.

7. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Aug 20, 2020

Good luck! We will make it work well!
    At least I have a tentative date...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2020

Students were given a choice of 100% in person or 100% e-learning. I chose to teach in person. Teachers have been back for two weeks now. Earlier in the summer they pushed our student start day back. Students will come in for 1:1 assessment conferences at the end of next week and then our first day of school is the following week.

Teacher234 likes this.
  9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2020

We postponed the first day with kids from August 6 to August 24. It was a hybrid model with remote option. About half of our kids chose all remote. The other half was split into two groups. One groups comes M/T, and the other group comes R/F. Then we changed to all remote until September 28.

DH’s building postponed until August 26 with kids. They are doing 5 days in person. They also have an independent remote option and a synchronous remote option. They have now postponed to start Sept. 2 with everyone starting remotely. Hope to go to in person Sept 28.

Teacher234 likes this.
  10. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Aug 21, 2020

I hate the back and fourth. I hope you return to in-person instruction, as well.
    We begin September 9th and are remote until after Columbus Day as of now. Apparently, there have been conversations in making the entire 1st Quarter remote (through November 2nd) and even being remote until Q3 (which is in late January). I hope these are just rumors and alternate options. I really want to see my kids and have pizza parties again! I felt so bad for my 4th graders moving on to 5th grade (luckily, their 5th/6th teacher is reviewing the prior grade material for all of MP1 and our classes have PE together.)
    It is only 24 kids and 6 adults in the PE class. 7 adults, if I pop in.

11. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Aug 21, 2020

UPDATE: My school district is cancelling mandated mid-term exams for all middle school and high school students! Of course, individual course teachers still have the option to administer their own mid-term exam, but it can only cover material that was addressed in-person.
    Mid-terms never affected me, but this is news to share!!

Maybe we can use this thread to update and support each other?
    @catnfiddle Should this thread now be moved to Teacher Time out?

12. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Aug 21, 2020

That sounds amazing! Full in-person instruction!! I am a bit jealous..
    Hopefully, the precautions do not interfere with connections and fun.

13. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Aug 21, 2020

My district delayed starting until after Labor Day, and we are remote for at least 1st quarter. The county has one of the highest positive test rates in the state, so I don’t really us safely going back in person until next year.

We will have a check-in for attendance, and then a short synchronous lesson for each content area. Then students will complete work asynchronously, and teachers will be available to help as needed. We’re also apparently expected to do guided reading somehow, but admin is working out the details on that.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2020

We are returning face-to-face with full classes after Labour Day (which is our usual start date). Parents were given the choice of opting for remote learning if they do not want their children to return face-to-face. We are not responsible for students who are learning remotely; there will be teachers dedicated to that, but I'm not sure yet how that will work. Students who are learning remotely will be able to return to face-to-face at specified times during the year, after each reporting period. In my district, about 30% of the students will start the year learning remotely. Unfortunately, this will not decrease our class sizes; funding is based on the number of students, so classes will be reorganized (up to 30 in K, 20 in grades 1-3 and up to over 30 in grades 4-8). Although we all finished June with a class list, timetable and teaching assignment for September, things will change.

Masks are mandatory for staff and students in Grade 4 and up; they are recommended for students in K- grade 3. We will be staggering recess and lunch times to minimize interactions; and there will be no visitors allowed in the building unless they have an appointment.

That's our plan at 11:00am ET on August 21st; it will probably change many times before 8:30am on September 8th.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 21, 2020

Since I switched to an online school, it's differently a change in thought process since by nature we get to side-step the problem.

My daughter's school is right on track as planned.

16. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for sharing for those that did!
    I hope the protocols are temporary. I really hope that we can return to normal sometime during this school year.
    "Normal"....everyone can see each other's face, circle time is on the rug, having fun.
    I understand it is for safety reasons. However, the safety precautions take away the fun in school. Ugh. Everything that kids go to school for has essentially been revoked. At least with remote learning, group learning can actually happen. (My students will not have to wear masks. The teachers are encouraged to wear masks, though.)

17. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Aug 21, 2020

My school district really is trying to keep schools the same as when the students (and teachers) left them for emergency distance learning.
    Of course, COVID-19 measures are still in effect for this school year. I will say that it is not as bad as what I am hearing other school district's are doing.

As of now, we are remote learning until after Columbus day weekend (2020).

18. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Aug 21, 2020

I am glad we are remote. Our cases are rising here and in the county where I teach. I absolutely do not want to get this virus. Sure, it's not ideal, but nothing is ideal right now. We're in a global pandemic. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 22, 2020

I thought our state wasn't too bad on numbers outside Salt Lake County, but we just had a case of a middle-of-nowhere district that just put six teachers out. (One is actually symptomatic, the rest are quarantining and teaching from home).

I think it's just going to have to be another forgiving year)

20. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Aug 22, 2020

We have been back to school for a week and it is regular and face to face. Everyone is wearing masks.

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 22, 2020

We went back to school this Wednesday with students starting (remote learning). I have to say that it has been the biggest chaos and confusion leading up to it, our district has been horrible with communication.
    They have postponed in service days several times, and because our local high school district moved start day from Aug 10 to 19, so did we, we always follow what they do.

But what was disappointing that decisions were not made and plans were not worked out. And whatever was done by the higher ups they did not ask for teacher input so a lot of the big things and even the small important things were forgotten. They somehw expected teachers to work on their own time - I didn't. Last Friday I went up to the mountains and came home Tuesday, with no cell phone service the whole time. School started Wednesday. I was hoping to have information about the first day, but nothing! All I knew is that I was going in at 7:30 am and have my first virtual meeting with my first student at 8 am.

However it worked out. We teach independent student so the first week is done with meeting with students and parent, assigning classes, printing out assignments and having them sign contract and take books and work home. All this done over the phone, then they come and sign contract and pick up books and work (in a separate building that's suitable for social distancing. I made contact with everyone and it went unexpectedly well so far.

Everything will be remotely done. WE have 150 Chromebooks and that's about 50% of the student population. So far I only had a few student who do not have computer / internet so I think we can get everyone one who needs it. We still print assignments, but I' utilizing Google Classroom as much as I can so about half of the courses for my students are done with Google Classroom.

I will still be teaching ELD and have no clue how. We'll be meeting Monday. They have a new curriculum and it's unfamiliar to us, very overwhelming already but what I've seen is great. I j ust can't believe they had the whole summer to figure thihs out. They knew we still need a designated ELD class so nothing has changed about that. I might have to do it over Zoom.

We were supposed to go in to work every day. Our union has been fighting it for 3 weeks, going back and forth and the district is being unreasonable. The union wants us to have the option to work from home, the district wants a certain amount of days from school, lie 1 day a week for 3 weeks, then 2 days a week, etc. But if we can do it efficiently fro home for 4 days why must we go in for 1 day, is the point of the union's dialogue. I agree with that.
    I however don't care either way, I go in if I have to, stay home if I can.
    Right now we are at a stand still we have the option to do whatever.
    The first week cannot be done completely from home in my opinion (how do you check out books and drop them off at the school?), so I have been going I every day, but it's nice to have the flexibility to go in later and leave whenever I want.
    Having said that, I have been still working my butt off for 6 hours nonstop, not taking a break etc, so I'm not advocating being lazy haha.

But it seems lie it will work out. I have my students from last year, most are great students, some I will really have to push and monitor because they dropped the ball with the 3 week intervals of dropping off and getting new work. This time t's weekly so it should work out.

We are getting new technology, new laptops, all kinds of upgrades and a Zoom for educators account so I'll be using that a lot

I feel pretty confident that it will work out. I haven't been stressed out (but I could have been and a lot of teachers have been) because I told my self there is nothing I can do so why worry?

stargirl likes this.
  22. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2020

Whoops! I did not see this 1st. I checked out teacher time out 1st. Our district started out as butts in seats.
    Kids had an option to online learn or come back. I think close to half decided to do online. Teachers had no choice. They have to teach a class and Zoom at the same time.
    To be a teacher around here, at least, you have to be super committed/ strong emotionally due to a lot of unusual factors.
    1 old timer at my school already quit last week. I retired early for this year for other reasons. It is absolutely insane how they decide when to switch a school online here due to Covid numbers. It is like so many more people have to get sick every week.
    That has already happened at many schools. It is so disorganized here and the SB should be ashamed of themselves. I feel so bad for those who are doing their best b/c they need the paycheck. It is just plain wrong the way they did it here. Most of it was done for $$$ and b/c of the pressure the SB got from a group of loud "parents" who claim teachers need to be babysitting. I am so thankful not to be in the trenches anymore.

stargirl likes this.