Fall Options - Full Time, Part Time, Temporary?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Julie9789, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Jul 5, 2010

Ideally, everyone would want a full time position in their desired grade. However, now it seems like part time positions are becoming more and more available.

If given the option, would you take a .8 or even a .5 position?

My supervisor told me to take a part-time position because at least it's a job. However, how long do I hold out for a full-time position if I've been offered a part-time.

Also, several positions I've applied for (mostly northern VA) state that the position is "temporary" for this upcoming school year. Worth it? I think it's probably based on student population, but do you think it could turn into a contracted long-term position?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2010

If you need the benefits and salary to afford to live, I would choose the temp position. If it is full time and lasts for the whole year, that gives you a whole year to have your own classroom and wow the administration with your abilities. That may translate into a full time job the next year.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2010

I would imagine those temp jobs are leave replacements for new moms who are taking time under the FMLA.

It's not unheard of for a new mom to suddenly change her mind and decide to stay home with her new baby.

Besides, a year of experience gets you known in the district and gives you so much to include on a resume!!!

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 5, 2010

Personally I'd take my chances with a full time temporary position. Many LTS teachers eventually get hired into the district as a contract employee. There's no guarantee of course, but it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

6. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 5, 2010

There are always lots of temp jobs in my area of California. They're usually for elementary jobs. I think they're used to fill temporary bubbles in enrollment that cause schools to open an extra classroom, but the enrollment might not be there next year, so they can't hire for a permanent position. Temp jobs are also cheaper for the district because they don't count towards tenure and they don't always include health insurance or retirement benefits.

7. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 5, 2010

I don't know what level you are, but in MS or HS you could do a part time job and tell the admin (and all your new teacher friends) that you'd be willing to sub in the PM. Both would potentially lead to full time employment, IMHO. Could you make it on 1/2 salary?