Falalalala...Any cute Christmas crafts??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherSandra, Sep 15, 2008.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2008

Yes, I know, I know! It's way too early to even think about it; but a coworker asked me if I had something in mind for my kids. which I replied, "NO!" :eek: ;)

Do you have anything cute you'd like to share??

THanks!

3. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Sep 15, 2008

Honey, I am trying to figure out what to do for Hispanic Heritage month. (Which by the way, started TODAY!) Christmas is soooooo far away for me. I wish I had your anti-procrastination skills!

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2008

We've been doing a unit on Mexico (for PreSchoolers) for the past two weeks and today we had "Mexico Day". We danced to La Raspa, Played Loteria (BIngo) and Pass the Chili Pepper. The kids and I got dressed up for the occasion. What grade do you teach?

And BTW, a coworker mentioned Christmas crafts to me, so I thought I'd bring it up here. ;)

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 15, 2008

Ask a carpet store to donate a carpet square for each child. Provide foam stamps and paint-students can decorate them and call them door mats! Ours turned out really cool.

You can also collect baby food jars. Mix bags of epson salt with food coloring and perfume oils. Instant bath salts for mom's stockings! Cut paper into 'labels', and have students decorate them. Attach with packing tape so they are waterproof.

Collect Altoid tins. Take a picture of each students and shrink it to the size of the top of the tin. Students can glue the picture on, decorate with glitter and tiny stickers, and then paint clear Elmer's glue over the top to 'seal' it in. Great change holder for dad's stocking.

Or wooden shoe. I never had a stocking growing up.

Doormat pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/Challenger2014/MakingDoormats#

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 15, 2008

My jaw DROPPED when I read the title of your post. Wow!

7. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Sep 16, 2008

I'm actually just started my kids' Christmas project! haha!

It's the handprint calendar:

http://www.littlegiraffes.com/handprintcalendar.html

It's super cute...just a bit of work. Hurry to copy and paste the info into a Word doc to save it because her pages are all going away on Oct. 20! :(

8. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

Not sure if this one will work, but take clean, small babby food jars and have the children put Christmas stickers on them, after that, take decoupage medium (or just regular glue!) and paint it over the stickers. Then place a Tealight into the jar. Voila a candle holder for mom!

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 16, 2008

I've done the baby food jar votive but have used tissue paper applied with watered down glue, and rolled in the clear, sparkly glitter. Beautiful!

10. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Sep 16, 2008

A christmas painting activity that I enjoy is...

In wax crayon draw a xmas tree base.
    Paint over the whole page in edicol dye.
    Using a piece of card approximately 2" long dip the thin side into green paint and make a criss-cross pattern on the page to make the tree.
    Using fluoro or metallic paint, place a small dob of paint where you would like decorations and a star at the top of the tree. Using a matchstick 'flick' the paint out to make stars.
    Wella! A cute painting of a Christmas tree!

11. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Sep 16, 2008

A messy project that has stellar results:

Buy clear Christmas tree bulbs. Take off the tops. Squirt two colors of paint in (like silver and green) and put your thumb (or cotton ball for smaller fingers) over the top and shake until the entire inside is coated. Put the bulbs in the tray upside down to let excess paint drip out. Return the tops. Results are marbled ornaments - looks awesome. I've only done this with small groups of kids, never a full class.

If you aren't brave enough for the paint you can put other things inside such as ribbons. You can modge podge the outside with pictures or put stickers on the outside.

12. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Sep 16, 2008

Just remembered another project (I grew up with a mom who dedicated her life to doing crafts with Girl Scouts and Sunday School). You can make candy cane mice ornaments. I found a site with instructions on how to make:

http://www.craftelf.com/Craft_Elf_Holiday_Christmas_Candy_Cane_Mouse_Ornament.htm

While we are on the idea of holiday crafts… a neat, edible project for thanksgiving is to make turkey cookies. They way I’ve made them in the past is to take two Oreo cookies and “glue” (with icing) them so that they are in an ‘L’ shape. Then glue an unwrapped, mini Reeses cup to one of the cookies. We would then glue on a candy corn. Resulting in a cookie that looked like a turkey. The closest I could find for a picture is:
    http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~soapbox/node/2482
    This one is a bit more complex, but still looks like a lot of fun. Peanut butter could be an issue with allergies, though.

Halloween – take a clear, powder free glove (like the ones lunch ladies wear). Each kid fills the glove with popcorn and ties the bag shut. Fit a spider ring over one finger (rings can be purchased through the Oriental Trading Co).

Hmm… I am noticing all my stuff is edible… maybe I should find a snack.