Fairytale Activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherstartz, May 21, 2011.

1. teacherstartz

teacherstartz New Member

May 21, 2011

We have a culmination to our fairytale unit happening Tuesday. I don't want to be lazy and just give them worksheets to do for fairytales as it is the last week of school for us and my motivation is low. One idea I had was making a princess and a prince puppet using my scrap box of construction paper and paper bags. But other than that, I am not having much luck coming up with fun things to do. I teach first grade and they are definitely restless with 5 days left. If anyone has ideas I would LOVE to hear them!:thanks:

3. janney

janney Cohort

May 21, 2011

As part of my fairytale unit we study Jack and the Beanstalk. After reading two different version of the story,I cut sentence strips in half the long way. Students colored it green and then put twenty leaves on it to make their beanstalk. They made a left right pattern on the stem with the leaves so they could go back and number their leaves 1-20 with odds on the left and even numbers on the right.

Students then made a paper giant and a paper Jack and glued them to popcicle sticks. They taped the beanstalk to the side of their table and I played the BBC version of the story for them. The students were able to get out of their seats and use their puppets to retell the story as it played. We actually watched it three times they were having so much fun.

Students also wrote a story telling what they would look like and do if they were a giant (we had read other giant stories) and we did a lot of sorting of objects based on size and capacity if they were for Jack or the Giant and then they drew and labeled their sorts (Kindergarten).

4. teacherstartz

teacherstartz New Member

May 21, 2011

thanks

I like the jack and the beanstalk idea! How do they make a paper jack? Did you have a blackline of it?
    I appreciate your ideas!

5. janney

janney Cohort

May 21, 2011

I showed them an example of one that I drew and they got to create their own on a piece of manila paper. I gave them a small rectangle for Jack and and long rectangle for the giant. It's always cute to see how they interpret the characters when they draw.

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 21, 2011

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 22, 2011

One of the teachers at my school does a Fairy tale themed tea party at the end of her unit. All the students dress up as different characters from fairy tales and they have a little tea party.

8. teacherstartz

teacherstartz New Member

May 24, 2011

fantastic ideas! :)
    I need to start my unit earlier so I can do more with it now. We are doing the jack and the beanstalk even and odd activity and I shared it with my team so it is really appreciated!