Fairy Tale articles?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by dragonfly, Aug 1, 2006.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

Fairy tales have emerged in our curriculum. The problem? Teachers are uncomfortable with many of the classic tales! I'm looking for articles on why it's important to read them to young children to share with my team. When I read Hansel and Gretel, I gotta tell you, I cringed! Why? Why is it good for them?

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 1, 2006

I'm not sure all the Fairy Tales are good for young children and I know many people believe in keeping the integrity of the original, but I use the watered-down versions. I think Fairy Tales are wonderful to teach different story elements, cultural ideas passed down through generations and patterns in stories. There are so many versions of most tales - Cinderella, Little Red Hen, Red Riding Hood, etc. that you can use them to compare different cultures around the world.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

5. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

I personally like ...I choose to read the ones that aren't violate. Which if you read them most of them are violate. Little Red Riding Hood has violence The three Little Pigs etc. So what I have done for my class I make them up. That way I can control the violence. Plus I have all races of children in my class.So I look for pictures in pictures of children and spin a story around those pictures. so that then I will not leave any race out. Children have said"that boy don't look like me"...so that stopped the original fairy tales to a certain degree in MY class. Now I don't hear any comments on who looks like who....Have fun making up stories or let the children tell a fairy tale. There is so much violence on the T.V. and we are not in their homes to see what they are allowed to watch.
    Good luck

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 17, 2006

I do not believe in watering down these classic and awesome stories. Later on, the students will be studying pieces of literature that rely on a background of standard UNCENSORED fairy tales, myths, legends, etc. To dilute them is to ruin them. Besides, many children are unnerved by the Disney-esque trait of having everybody, including the villains, live happily ever after. It's much more comforting to have the bad people die, because then all the children are safe from ever being 'hurt' by them.

The old fairy tales are so, so incredibly rich with description and detail and fancy language that our children so desperately need to hear. . . . if all they hear or read is prescribed vocabulary, how will they ever learn the big awesome words?

No, I do not believe in dumbing down the stories.

Heck, I won't even read Reader's Digest because they edit and shorten.

7. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

Fairy Tales

Later on in life they might be able to handle the literature.
    I hear the parents say that their child has nightmares about violent things. so I just don't add to their drama. I love the fairy tales and I don't remember if I was ever stressed out about them when I was young. But things have changed. I have a friend that works with young children and they aren't allowed to tell scary storeis of any kind or violent stories at her site. But when they go home it's on their parents. Teachers can introduce fairy tales or not..There are tons of other stories that can be read to children. I had a professor who said she don't read fairy tales to young children due to the violence,and she didn't believe in letting young children take dance lessons until after the age of 5 years old due to their soft bones. So we have to use our own judgement or ask the parents how they feel about fairy tales.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2006

I will never read a watered down version of Fairy Tales. How insulting to the authors do you really want to be? They are works of art and must stay that way to preserve them for generations to come. I'll bet most of your parents and grandparents grew up reading them and now you should be giving this generation of children the same gift of uncensored literature. I have a tape of Hansel and Gretel and I play it at rest time. They just love it. How cool that the wicked old witch gets pushed into the oven and that's the end of her! How foolish to think that these stories give kids nightmares. If they do, it's because some parents and teachers have been brainwashed into thinking they are bad and they are conveying that message to the children.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2006

Mamacita and Grammy, well said. I agree with both of you and have nothing to add!

10. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 17, 2006

Last year I read the origin of fairy tales online and I was captivated! Did you know that fairy tales were originally written by women to tell stories of their circumstances.
    I found an essay written by someone that says what this article did. I will try to find it and post it but in the meantime, try

http://www.bobhuang.com/essays/essay22.htm

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2006

Ditto.

12. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 19, 2006

Fairy tales are good to expose children to the classics. They are surrounded by Disney versions that do not always tell the original tale. These versions have as much (or even more) violence as the originals.

13. mrod

mrod Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

I also would never water down a classic. They are classics!!! They are meant to be read the same way for years to come. Now I can understand if you are reading a water downed version to compare differnt story lines which is a great activity, then go ahead. But I feel that classics are to be read as is. I read them to my class and they love them they think they are funny. When I was younger my mother use to read me the Brother's Grimm and I don't ever remember being scared I used to love them. I guess whatever you prefer, but I do suggest reading the real fairy tales before you read the other forms.