Fairness in Teaching-Learning Process

Discussion in 'General Education' started by janetmarie, Oct 13, 2009.

1. janetmarie

janetmarie New Member

Oct 13, 2009

Good Day! I'm Janet, a 3rd year college student from the University of Santo Tomas in Philippines.

As an incoming high school teacher, I would just like to stressed out on the importance of fairness in the whole teaching-learning process. It is very prevalent in most schools the issues about favoritism and discrimination.

We do agree that favoritism and discrimination should not be part of school right?

Fairness, then, should be seen in any teacher. A teacher should not neglect one student to favor some or the other way around. No matter what
    religion, culture and even limitation of ability a student has, he/she deserves to be treated fairly and without discrimination.

With this, every school must instigate the signifance of fairness in every aspect of learning and teaching process.

Hope I have said something that would be of great help to you fellow educators! God Bless!:)
    janetmarie.roman@gmail.com

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2009

Fair does not mean everyone gets the SAME. It means everyone gets what they need in order to learn.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2009

I agree that teachers should keep fairness in mind as they teach. But, like czacza, I'm not sure that my definition of fairness implies equal treatment for all. Some kids have, by virtue of the breaks life has dealt them, a much harder time than others. Some are smarter, some less so, some have rough home lives, others don't. So they don't all get treated the same.

I would hope that all my students believe they're treated with respect in my class. But do I always treat my kids equally? Of course not.

The difference is that my kids respect me enough to trust my judgement-- to know that if another student is getting a break I've denied them, that there must be some sort of reason.

5. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

Oct 13, 2009

Very well said

6. janetmarie

janetmarie New Member

Oct 16, 2009

Diversity among students

I do agree with you czacza:)
    I do believe also that every learner is unique and there is diversity among students. It is really up to the teacher to cater to each needs of every students.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2009

I'm not entirely sure that THAT is possible, and I'm sure it wouldn't be fair.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 16, 2009

Really Alice? I have to disagree, though I wonder if you're reading it differently than me...

I see it as a teachers job to cater to the NEEDS of every student. (At least academically). I think that's the idea of having IEPs and the like.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2009

I think it's great to try. Maybe it's the word "cater" that got me, I don't know.

But even in my smallest class: I want to give a quiz. Jeremy is thirsty. Rosa needs to go to the lady's room. Jimmy forgot his notebook and wants to go to his locker. Luke needs an extra 2 minutes on the quiz because he got a late start because he was talking to a teacher enroute to class. Marissa has Taylor's notebook because she was absent yesterday and needs to get the notes. Kathleen is completely lost but hasn't gotten to extra help, so she would benefit from me starting equations all over again from the beginning. Brendan, on the other hand, had Algebra last year and is bored silly.

That's a snapshot of today's fourth period. Of course, I left out th other 16 kids.

Would I like to cater to each person's needs-du-jour?? Certainly. But is it possible? I'm not so sure. Is it FAIR? Nope.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 16, 2009

I understand what you mean about the word cater, though I'm not sure that was the OPs intent, I agree it has a negative connotation.

I agree, we need to try... but of course it's impossible to meet every students needs 100% of the time. I suppose it's like limits in Math... I want to get closer and closer to that 100%, knowing I likely will never ever reach it :lol:

11. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 16, 2009

Alice - I think we are talking about education needs rather than physical needs.