Fairfax County, VA and/or Montgomery County, MD

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SouthernBuckeye, Mar 22, 2011.

1. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Mar 22, 2011

Next spring, I might look into seeing if I can move to the D.C. metro area, and I have these two school systems in mind. I'm staying put where I am for next school year, but at the end of next year I get my federal loan repayment, so if I want to, I'll be able to move.

Anyone on here work for either one of these, or even if not, live in D.C.? Do you like it? I am single, and I will be in my later 20's by the time I move if I wind up deciding to do so. Ideally, I will live in D.C. proper but commute out to the suburbs to teach. I have my whole life to move to the suburbs. So, I'd like to use public transit and I'm hoping there will be train stops near my new school.

I noticed that the salaries are high, but I also know there is a high cost of living. That said, even with the higher cost of living, even after factoring in more expensive rent, etc. I will still see a significant pay raise over my current position.

Anyway, I'm interested. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. :)

3. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Mar 22, 2011

I know teachers who live in DC and commute against traffic to the counties. However, they have cars. Train stops in the suburbs (the VA suburbs, at least) are really for commuters going into DC, Arlington, or the Pentagon, so they are not really near schools. You are more likely to find a bus stop near some of the closer-in schools.

Yes to the high cost of living, but for some people, the excitement and ease of living in a city beats some of the advantages of living farther out. Oftentimes, I wish I lived closer in, but then I would be far from work, and I don't like driving very much. If you don't have kids, you might be able to find a roommate to even out the costs.

I think you would have fun living in DC.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Mar 22, 2011

I can't imagine making enough as a teacher in one of the burbs to actually live in a decent part of DC Proper. I would suggest taking a vacation to DC to look around at what is available and the costs. Maybe meet with a realtor while you are there sight-seeing.

I just moved out of a city -- I was tired of the traffic, the noise, and the violence. But I must admit, I enjoyed living in a place where I could walk to restaurants and attend the theater and such.

Good luck with your decision.

Lisabobisa likes this.
  5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2011

My friend used to work for Fairfax Co. school district but left when she had kids. I think overall she liked it. She taught in a middle school that specialized in hearing impaired students and other special education, so I know they were big on inclusion and she had lots of kids in the room with aides and accommodations.

It seemed like she made a lot of money when she started but she wasn't making any more than me when you took into consideration the cost of living. She and her husband just paid about half a million for a town house in that area. I mean, it's a NICE house and a new build - but it's still a townhouse. Luckily he has a really well-paying job.

6. SouthernBuckeye

Mar 23, 2011

Thanks!

My best friend, my cousin, and my cousin's boyfriend will all be in D.C. by the time I move there. My best friend and I kinda talked about living together, which could significantly cut costs if we lived in D.C. itself. That said, I haven't had roommates since college, so I don't know how I feel about losing some privacy. I will have to give that a lot of thought, even if it's someone I have known for 10 years.

I saw that apartments in Alexandria/Fairfax would be affordable alone on my salary, so I suppose I could make those an option.

I will have a car, so driving rather than using public transit is definitely an option, but it would be nice to cut my car usage by quite a bit.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2011

My friend lived in Fairfax Co. when she taught there. She now lived in Loudin county I think. Her apartment was expensive but doable, but I know she was pretty tight on her budget, especially because Fairfax co. only pays once a month.

I am not that great with money - for me, I don't know if it would ahve worked. But if you can work on a tight budget you can do it

8. SouthernBuckeye

Mar 23, 2011

My current county only pays once a month, so I'm definitely used to it! I'd be able to manage. It's still not my favorite pay schedule, but I adjusted accordingly. ;)

9. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Mar 23, 2011

I live in the DC area, and am planning to move inside the city by June (to be closer to my new school which is inside the city). It's doable with roomates, but I definitely couldn't afford it by myself.

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Mar 24, 2011

I live in Fairfax county, and it is pretty pricey depending on where you live... I can't even imagine living in the city and commuting out, but it's personal preferences. For me, the cost of living is just not worth it when I work south. You might really like the Arlington or Old Town Alexandria area if you start looking outside of DC.... but they are still very expensive. My current one bedroom, 700 square foot apartment in Lorton is $1,400 a month. I am not sure what you are used to in terms of cost of living, but in those areas you are looking, roommates are probably the best way to go. Obviously make sure that you check out the area first though... a lot of places can be deceiving (like the place in Alexandria that my sister was really interested in, and I found out they had a murder there not too long ago). Fairfax is a big county, and there are some very expensive parts, and others are much cheaper. Keep your commute in mind... commuting from one side of the county to the other may look like it's not far, but in rush hour traffic, it is. My boyfriend commutes from Lorton to Herndon everyday, and it takes him 45 min to an hour each way. With the cost of gas right now, it's ridiculous!

If you have any other questions, PM me as I haven't been checking the boards regularly. I have lived in this area most of my life.