Fairfax County School?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsBee, Jul 28, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

Anyone know anything about this district? I have applied and heard nothing.
    Don't know if I am able to start e-mailing P about anticipated vacancies?

Anyone know anything?

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

HR should tell you when you are authorized to email principals. Everything goes through HR in Fairfax. Did you already do Insight and screening?

I like Fairfax schools (feel free to ask me about any of the schools, just be aware I am only familiar with the high schools, but if you tell me the elementary, I can see where it feeds and give some insight into the population). But HR has a big stick up their rear about how "great" and "elite" and "wonderful" they think they are. They act like you should bow, scrape and be grateful that they give you time of day. Individual schools were usually very, very nice. At the job fair, the recruiter, before knowing ANYTHING about me or seeing my resume, went on and on and ON about how I should not be surprised if I never hear from them because they are so selective and can only take the absolute best, so they didn't want me to be disappointed when I didn't get called. It was over the top.

But, when I got the email from HR saying I was authorized to contact principals (basically pre-approved for a contract should I find a school willing to interview/hire me), I checked out their July public vacancy list, and there wasn't much there, so it could be they just have no jobs. There was only a .5 in my area, so I am glad I wasn't counting on them.

At any rate, what can they do to you if you email? They can either ignore you, or a P could call HR about you. Go for it. What do you have to lose?

4. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

I never got an e-mail from HR about being pre-approved. I submitted everything. I did that back in Feb. Guess I should try calling them.

Hmm.

I just didn't want to contact Ps and then they hate being contacted if they don't have vacancies listed and I am out of luck.

Any other districts besides Fairfax, Prince William and DC Public Schools can I apply to that have vacancies and are in the same area. I want to be in that area badly.

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

I graduated from Fairfax County Schools! It's a great area. Fairfax County ranked fourth on the "wealthiest school districts in the nation" several times (I think it was a news magazine, I can't remember the source.)

The great thing is, there is still a lot of diversity. So, while they have money, they have great diversity.

There are a lot of resources. Most of the schools are fairly up to date with technology.

Check out Falls Church City Public Schools. It is a smaller little district right by Fairfax. It's a little rougher around the edges but still a cute little area.

Prince William is kind of hit or miss. Manassas is not the nicest area, but there are a few newer nice schools there.

You could also check into Arlington Public Schools. I couldn't figure out how to see the vacancies but it looks like they have an online system with the screening interview, etc. similar to Fairfax.

I can't remember what you're wanting to teach. I may have some contacts for you depending on what you teach. My mom and many of her friends teach in Fairfax.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Oh, I would also look into Loudoun County. It is more "rural" than Fairfax, but it's an "up and coming" area and most of their schools are brand new (and gorgeous... I subbed for them and the schools are wonderful).

7. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

I applied to Arlington County Schools. Nothing there. You are not aloud to contact P so mainly you are waiting. I have not been contacted by anyone. I went through the screening interview there.

8. MissLD

MissLD Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I got my job in Fairfax County. I went to the job fair back in February and the P I interviewed with just told me to start contacting schools in the spring and thats just what I did. I emailed random schools, then when the July vacancies came out I emailed and dropped off some resumes.

9. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I teach in Fairfax County...
    I applied late (it was July 2 summers ago.) I did the Insight and had my application in and then I started contacting principals by email. I emailed them my resume and cover letter. (I did this for the schools in the areas where I wanted to teach....whether they had openings listed or not, I got a ton of interviews due to this.)

The only thing about this year is that there is a bit of a budget crisis so they aren't hiring as many teachers, but there should still be openings.

I agree with checking in Loudoun Co. It's a nice area as well. In Prince William Co. teaching in Haymarket or Gainesville is best...Manassas isn't the greatest area.

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Ms Bee:

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/Div/

This lists ALL the districts in Virginia.

Around Northern Va are: Alexandria, Arlington, Culpeper*, Danville*, Fairfax, Falls Church, Fredericksburg*, Loudon, Manassas, Manassas Park, Orange*, Spotsylvania*, Stafford*

* means they are within an hour or so, so you wouldn't be living in the area but you could easily drive there or to DC on the weekends for fun activities or shopping. Falls Church schools are very highly rated and they have quite a bit of money. They are not hugely diverse and you would find a lot of helicopter parents. It is a nice area though, but very crowded since roads have not kept pace with development, but would be harder to live near the school.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Actually, that list seems to be missing a few. You could check a list of Virginia counties. Each county is a school district, plus a few cities.

Around Richmond (~90 miles from DC area) you have Richmond, Richmond City, Henrico, Chesterfield, Colonial Heights, Petersburg. Probably a couple more.

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Ms Bee, do you have a point of contact for HR in Fairfax? For all the districts that I applied to, I emailed HR and politely stated that I had applied and requested the references and asked them to confirm that my application was complete.

For the large districts, this gave me a specific person to keep in touch with.

13. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

No. I am just going to call Fairfax tomorrow. The thing is they told me I didn't need to do a screening interview or anything. Just submit the application and do the insight test. Then once you get recommended for a job you turn all your supplies in. I have turned NOTHING in.

Everytime I call they say that.

Don't tell me I am doing something wrong already.

14. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

That's how I did it....I submitted my app. and did the insight. Once I was recommended for a job I did everything else at HR.

15. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

I don't live near the area at all. I will e-mail P but there is not way I could drop off packets when the vacancies arise unless I am there for another interview. I could just mail the packet.

16. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

How did you go about getting a job?

17. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I emailed principals of a lot of elem. schools my cover letter and resume. They called me for interviews. I landed a lot of interviews that way. ( I emailed them my stuff even if I didn't see a job posted for them.)

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2009

Huh, ok. That is different than the process I went through. Maybe the screening interview is just an extra step they tack on for job fair people.

But I did get an email from HR telling me that I should begin emailing principals about 1-2 weeks before the July postings went up.

It is possible they aren't always as rigid as I thought.

But at any rate, it sounds like principals there welcome emails, so go for it! And good luck :)

19. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

It could've been...I was coming from teaching in a different county so I never went to the job fair and I applied late because I was originally looking for a job in a different area.

20. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

How long ago was this that you sent cover letters and resumes?

21. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2009

Ms. Bee, Fairfax does a great deal of their external hiring in July, so you don't have time to waste. Classes do start late, so I'm sure they will be hiring in August also, but July is their "official" month (or so HR said; my grad advisors also said this).

22. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

Oh I have already started sending them!!
    I was asking Elizak83!

Don't worry I am not wasting anytime!!

23. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

I applied in Fairfax and I just filled out the online app and the Insight.

I did hear back from one school up there. They called me and asked for an interview. (I couldn't come to the interview b/c of scheduling conflicts with other interviews, plus it was an Elem position which I have a lot less experience in.) But it seems they just collect apps until they find they need someone and then start calling around. At least in my experience.

24. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

It was mid-July when I started looking in Fairfax (2 summers ago.) I got hired at the beginning of August.

This year school starts for teachers on Aug. 31st and students on Sept. 7th.

25. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I applied to Fairfax (as a last resort, before I got my job in Ohio) and I havent heard a thing. I have a friend who teaches there and she loves it. She emailed the principals her cover letter and resume...even schools that do not have vacancies posted.

26. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

September 8th. I'm not in Fairfax, but we have a similar calendar, and I'm not giving up a single day of summer! ;)

27. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

What do you do after you e-mail the cover letter and resume? Most of them do not have vacancies. I will be going back to the area but do I stop in to all 135 schools?!! Even though they have no vacancies. I put in the e-mail that I will be in the area.

28. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

Oops...I meant the 8th:) Sorry! the 7th is stuck in my head because I was looking for hotels at the beach from the 4th-7th:)

29. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I called the schools w/ vacancies to make sure they received my resume. And then I waited:) I got phone calls literally 10 min. after I started emailing my cl and resume.

30. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 29, 2009

The job market is slightly tougher now than it was 2 years ago when I got hired...They had to destaff a lot due to budget cuts.

31. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

Hmmm...well I guess I will just wait until I see those vacancies start to pop up and then I will start calling!

32. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jul 30, 2009

I bet there will be a ton of openings in August. Just keep emailing- literally every school you are interested in. A lot of schools are off the month of July so they havent interviewed yet. You will get something, MsBee!

33. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 30, 2009

I have e-mailed almost ALL of the schools and not one say that have openings. Now granted a lot of them didn't e-mail me back. But...I'm still going to keep going though.

34. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 30, 2009

IT PAID OFF!!!!

A P just e-mailed me back!!! I have a interview on Tuesday!!

35. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

YAAAAYYYYY MsBee :woot: :woot:

36. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 30, 2009

YES!! I also called two more schools today that said they would call me back today to set up interviews if interested so I'm hoping!!

So officially I have two interviews!!!!

37. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 30, 2009

Sweet, I knew that would work!!

38. MissLD

MissLD Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

Hey MsBee, When I went to the job fair back in Feb. the P I talked with said most of the hiring happens in July and August so there is still plenty of time.
    Congrats on getting an interview. The job I got happened that way; I emailed the P and an hour later I had a call for an interview. Good Luck.

39. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2009

That's awesome, MsBee!

40. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 30, 2009

Thanks everyone. Well the Fairfax is set but there is one for Prince William that I am still waiting to be finalized.

So I am still saying two because I want to think positive.

41. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 30, 2009

Anyone have tips or anything I MUST know/study before my interview.