Failing the General Education Test

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, Mar 1, 2014.

1. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Mar 1, 2014

Hello all,

Do you know of anyone who had failed to pass the General Education Exam(which consists of English, Math, Reading, and Essay)? Did he/she lose his/her job? Or did he/she gets assigned to a lower position like a long-term sub??

p.s. I passed this exam, but I have a new co-worker who is curious to know what might happen in the event that he fails...

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 1, 2014

When I took all the various tests, I had a range of time to pass. My scores didn't go to the district, I just gave the district my scores when I passed. I never failed any tests in New York or Virginia, but if I had, they would have never shown up anywhere, assuming I later passed them. In New York, I would not have gotten a job without a certificate, which would have required passing all the tests. In Virginia, I got a job based on an out-of-state license, but I would have been non-renewed had I not reported passing scores on the tests by March 1. Hope that answers your question.

Rather interesting that they had lower stakes altogether than the tests my third graders have to take, but that's a different story.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 1, 2014

When I was subbing, we had a special ed teacher from Arizona. They hired him in California, so he had to pass the CBEST (sounds similar to what you're talking about). They actually gave him a year, I don't know if they made a mistake and then realized he didn't have it, or they hired him with the expectation. In that 1 year I don't know if he lagged and only took it once, or several times, but he never passed. He got fired.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 1, 2014

It is amazing to me that they would allow someone who can't pass the CBEST the first time to be a teacher.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 1, 2014

In NJ, we have to pass the Praxis II in our area before we can student teach

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 1, 2014

I agree. I can't believe he couldn't pass it!!! The principal tried to keep him there, I think she tried to keep things on the down low, but somehow it got out and she had no choice. She did make it look like it was a surprise.

8. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Mar 1, 2014

I think you get several tries in FL. My daughter had a friend who had to take it several times.(I can't remember how many.) She must have test anxiety, as some do. She has now been teaching successfully for several years. I don't want to get into a debate about intelligence, etc., but some people don't test well and I know some gifted adults who are horrible teachers........:)

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 1, 2014

A colleague taught for five years before she finally passed the Praxis on her seventh try. She apparently was considered a long term sub for the five years. As such she did not get benefits. But she did not have other responsibilities either. Like lunch duty, club advising, PD meetings, etc. When she passed the test finally she got five year's of back pay. @@

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 1, 2014

This sounds like a basic skills test. In most states, one can take such tests as many times as one likes. I'm not unhappy with that, actually: test anxiety is a real thing, and so is simply not having understood how the process works.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 1, 2014

I think its sad state of teaching if we are ok with teachers who have to take a basic skills test several times.

At least in California, I would not be happy knowing my daughters teacher struggled to pass this test.

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 1, 2014

One of the women in my Master's cohort struggled to pass the New York version of the basic skills test because she was a poor test taker. I had the opportunity to see some of her lessons, and I saw her work for eighteen months.

I'd have absolutely no problem with my daughter being in her class.

13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 1, 2014

Of course, there are examples for everything.

The California basic skills test should not be administered. If you can pass college classes the test should be a joke. I swear in CA it was like a 4th grade level.

It is embarrassing to the profession, imo.

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 1, 2014

I'm not okay with it at all. I would not be happy knowing it about my kids' teachers either. These are NOT difficult tests.

15. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Mar 1, 2014

They may not be difficult for those of us who are comfortable testing. They might be for others. I know a teacher who gets test anxiety. She flunked a driver's written test several times. She is amazing at teaching test taking skills because she KNOWS what her students are facing. I am great at test taking. That doesn't make me a great teacher. Doesn't even really mean I know the material that well. It DOES however always make me ask myself if my tests (that I give to my students) really are assessing what I want them to assess.

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2014

I think some places give a certain amount of time for teachers to pass tests. I hope that your friend passed the first time.

17. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Mar 2, 2014

I passed the English and Essay parts the first time. I passed Reading the 2nd time and Math the 3rd time. Math was real hard for me because I forgot a lot of the stuff from high school such as slopes, algebra, and even some word problems. As far as reading goes, sometimes I have to read the sentences in an article a few more times before comprehending them.

The teacher that I replaced had passed all parts of the exam the first time but students tell me all the time that they learn more from me than they ever did from this teacher. :)