Failing students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tuankiet153, Dec 6, 2020.

1. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Dec 6, 2020

How many percents of failing students out of your students would you think reasonably? I have 160 students, 40 failed this cycle ~ 25%. I did all my effort to help them out but these kids did not do work, did not study, even did not take the major test, and I got no support or cooperation from parents. When I emailed out, they felt like I was bothering them and got mad at me. Parents just think school is their good day care. What should I do?

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 6, 2020

Wash my hands of it (school policy permitting). Also document what you did to help and reach out.

You can't succeed in school for them.

Tired Teacher, whizkid and vickilyn like this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2020

Hope you don't mind if I steal this quote - I know a student or two who may not be privy to the concept that you can't succeed through someone else if you don't do your own work and try.

Backroads likes this.
  5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 6, 2020

Steal away.

vickilyn likes this.
  6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2020

Yikes! It is not your fault, but that is a high number failing. I do understand though if they didn't do anything.
    In our area, the district would have a fit. I am serious, they'd find a way to really mess with you or get rid of you.
    Is your district supportive of you? I know different districts are different about % failing.
    Are you online or in person?
    If you are online, all you can do is wash your hands of it. There isn't much you can do.
    I hated online. To me, it is on the parents if they can't get their kids to do their assignments.
    If you are doing face to face, you may want to try some different ways to get them engaged and cooperating.

7. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Dec 8, 2020

These kids are online students. These kids are super lazy. I don't know why parents want to keep them at home while they do know that their kids don't do work. During this difficult time, the high failing rate is understandable. In our school, 3/4 populations are online, 1/4 students are in-person. I hate this hybrid mode. How can you control them behind the screen? I did a cold call but they did not respond. I emailed parents but did not get responses. What should I do next? Definitely no way. If they are in person students, I can make them do work. How do I know they do what behind the screen? They may listen to music, watch films, play games, sleep.... tireddddddddddddddddddd. I feel like I am a babysister, not a teacher now :(

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2020

I am so sorry! That has got to be so frustrating! You just want to reach out ( through the screen) and "touch someone." Joking! Some parents need to be doing much better jobs.
    Your hands are tied in this situation. It is the kids and their parents' fault for not making their kids do their work. If your district is understanding, just document and "let it go!" They failed themselves.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2020

You have to document what you did to contact them, and then move on.

Some of my classes have 50% of the students failing. We have some kids that I have had ZERO contact with the entire school year. I've called, sent texts, emailed parents, emailed kids, mailed letters, and even had the principals do home visits. Some of them won't even answer the door. All of our students have Chromebooks, and we even provided hotspots to the kids without internet access. Remember, you can lead a horse to water . . .

creativemonster likes this.
  10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2020

You have to document what you did to contact them, and then move on.

Some of my classes have 50% of the students failing. We have some kids that I have had ZERO contact with the entire school year. I've called, sent texts, emailed parents, emailed kids, mailed letters, and even had the principals do home visits. Some of them won't even answer the door. All of our students have Chromebooks, and we even provided hotspots to the kids without internet access. Remember, you can lead a horse to water . . .

Backroads likes this.
  11. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Dec 11, 2020

You can lead a class to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think.

Document what you've done, consider a targeted survey (not that you'd get responses, but it'd look good to admin), and try not to let it get to you. Double-check that there's not any IEP students whose needs are possibly not met on the fail list. I had one in the spring I had to re-write any reading assignment to be shorter and lower lexile because she didn't have her pull-out time with SPED to help her. That's the only real caveat to failing the kids who earned Fs.

Maybe reach out to other teachers and see if they have the same kids not doing work. You can't be held personally accountable if the same students aren't participating in anyone's classes.

creativemonster and Backroads like this.