Failing students

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Kaley12, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

Jun 4, 2013

Just out of curiosity, about how many students do you normally have fail in each class? (I'm sure these numbers will be vastly different depending on what grade, subject, and level you teach).

Now that it's getting close to the end I'm starting to see how many students may not get their credit from my classes. Overall, the main ones who will definitely be failing are the ones who literally never come to class so I have practically zero marks for them.

But there are still a few who are currently failing, and if they don't pull their socks up for the exam, will fail the course. I find it frustrating because the classes I teach are not difficult. It's just a matter of actually doing the work (with some effort of course) and handing it in. No matter how much time I give them, how much prompting or reminders, they simply don't care.

I will probably have 2-5 students fail between my 3 classes (not including the few that stopped coming to school).
    What's the failure rate like in your classes?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 4, 2013

5% of my students will fail this semester. That is a low number for me. Surprisingly, half of my failing students are enrolled in my honors course. I seldom have an honors student fail.

My coworker never has failing honors students but says that about half of his regular students fail. I teach science and while it shouldn't be hard, students often come in expecting to struggle. The self-fullfilling prophecy is often hard to overcome.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 4, 2013

16 % of my students will fail this quarter, distributed pretty evenly across the classes. So I don't have a class that is much lower, etc, although my 'oldest' class, juniors don't have anyone failing.
    This is pretty much expected, I teach in alternative ed, a lot of these kids failed all / most of their classes before and have a negative experience and attitude towards education.
    I have quite a few As and Bs, and I grade fairly. Whatever grade these kids got, they earned it. That also includes the fact that I have allowed extra credit, and encouraged them for the past month to do it. The kids who failed, really did not care enough, or didn't come to school enough.

5. Alizeh

Alizeh Rookie

Jun 4, 2013

In my student teaching, I had 4 students fail out of 5 classes.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jun 4, 2013

None. I had a couple kids fail a marking period, but to fail for the year, you need to fail at least 3 MPs. You can get 2 MPs of F and 2 of D-, and your final year grade will be D- regardless of the percentage you got each MP. So this just need to get a D- twice, and they'll pass.

7. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 4, 2013

Because our school has the environment it does, they used to be OK with 1/3 of anyone's students failing for the year. Get above 33%, they got a little squeamish.

However, once we got put on "Double-secret probation" by the state a few years ago, they've - shall we say - "encouraged" us not to fail more than 10%.

By comparison, a colleague who is in a "Blue Ribbon" school district was told that no one is allowed to fail more than two students in all of their five classes for the entire year.

:unsure:

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 4, 2013

Wow, you really ARE a mathemagician! ;)

I'm grateful that my school leaves these things up to the teacher. For the most part. There is always some student who knows a school board member kinda thing. But so far I haven't had anyone say anything about the students that fail my class. Well, I did have a principal once comment on the "really smart" girl in my room that failed the first marking period. The P knew the girl was bright because the P went to high school with the girl's father. @@ By the time the course ended, though, it was pretty obvious that the student was making some poor choices.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 4, 2013

That's ridiculous. I've had semesters where 15 kids failed. And semesters where only one has. And they all failed on their own. I didn't fail a single one of them. I did my job and did it well.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 4, 2013

As of the last time I checked, I was at a 23% fail rate. However, I have two students who have made sudden leaps in the amount of late work they have turned in assignments and may make the cut by Friday. I also have two students who are so horribly truant that they may be removed from my roster before my last teacher day. I usually get to at least an 80% pass rate, but it's tough this semester.

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2013

I work at a private school so they mostly wean out the kids who they think will fail. I only had about 4 or 5 fail this trimester (not the year) and the failing grade is under 75.

12. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 4, 2013

Between all three of my inclusion classes, I probably have 1 or 2 students who failed. "Failing" in my district is getting an F for all quarters.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 5, 2013

Another student of mine has crossed that barrier between passing and failing my course. One or two more might put me over that 80% pass rate.

14. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

I've found that more 9th graders tend to fail rather than the older grades. So, juniors and seniors, I might have one or two. Younger kids, I might have three or four.

15. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jun 5, 2013

About 30-50% fail around here, in all core subjects.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2013

This year I'm going to have about 10 Fs out of about 150 students. All those Fs are due to many missing assignments. I work very, very hard to get my students to turn in work. Without my efforts, I'm sure I'd have more like 15-20 Fs. Not a ton compared to many of my colleagues, but far more than I'd like.

17. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

Jun 5, 2013

I can relate to this. The students who will fail my classes simply don't do the work, so they have a lot of zeros adding up. I also have to stay on top of them to make sure they get their work in, or else I'd probably have to add a few more "Fs" to my list.

18. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 5, 2013

No one really fails in elementary special ed. However, when I taught middle school, it was very difficult to fail anyone. If you did, you had to provide copies of assignments and all your records to back up why you were failing someone. Even then, it was frowned upon. I failed a total of 3 students when I probably should have failed at least 6 or 7 more than that. Out of the 3 that I failed, one of them had his mom complain to the super. and the grade was changed to passing. Nope, didn't matter what he did all year. A complaint from mommy was all it took. For the other two, there were zero consequences for failing them. They were both 15, turning 16 that year, and aging out of middle school. So, they were socially promoted. I thought that one of them was being required to go to summer school but I ran into her over the summer and asked her about it. She said no, she wasn't going. She "couldn't handle" summer school and needed a break. A break from what, I'll never know, since she did nothing all year. She even left for 6 weeks in the middle of January for her annual trip to visit family in another country.

If I sound frustrated, I was/am. How the heck do you teach students who are not self-motivated and who are taught that there are no consequences for their lack of work? Why on earth would a school want to send the message to kids that are doing their work that they are wasting their time? I could just imagine how I would feel if I were them - like a sucker. A sap who just wasted her time working while my cohorts didn't do a darn thing and got the same 8th grade graduation that I did, complete with proud parents and a congratulations from the admin. I bet many of them won't make the mistake of hard work again! :rolleyes: It sickens me to no end.

19. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jun 5, 2013

I teach at a small rural school. I have 7-10 grades (I had 125 students). This year, I had 6 fail and they were all middle schoolers. And it was all due to not turning in assignments.

I had about 8 high school kids who were failing coming up to my final deadline for work. I accept late work (with a 20 point deduction) up until about a week and half before the grade period ends. They all managed to get above failing.

The problem is there is no consequence for the middle school kids when they fail a class. At least in high school, there is the threat of summer school.

20. microbe

microbe Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

Agree completely!

My parents always made us go to summer school if we did poorly during the school year. I think they should make it mandatory for middle school kids if they fail a class.

21. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Jun 6, 2013

We have only about a third of our kids scoring "proficient" on achievement tests, and usually about three quarters passing their classes. It seems as if MORE should be failing, if they are all below grade level on standardized tests!

This year, I have about 10% with F's; by far the best performance in several years. This year, they are good kids, but also I have worked insanely hard nagging, keeping after them for late work, calling home about missed work, etc.

In previous years I have had about one third of each class get F's every quarter. I have always checked the grades in other classes to make sure I'm not out of line--in general, if a kid is failing my class, he or she is also failing at least 2 others. Yes, I teach middle school, and there are basically no consequences for failing. Some years, they are "required" to go to summer school, but if they don't, they usually get promoted anyway. This year, summer school was downsized, so most kids can't go anyway, and we will just promote based on age.

22. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 6, 2013

So... my school was doing this for 8th graders who failed. They had to re-take the class in an online program and had to come at least two days a week to do the work. Many of them had failed multiple classes and so were coming four days a week. About 50% of these kids STILL didn't walk because they STILL screwed around and didn't finish the remediation course, so I will be seeing them again in summer school.

We also ran a Saturday school program for kids who were struggling to get extra help with their work. It was on a teacher recommendation basis, but kids dropped in on their own sometimes.

Some kids really sort of earn that F, when every sort of help and remediation has been given to them and they still choose to play around instead of work.

23. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 6, 2013

Oddly enough, that's not a threat with our high school kids. They LOVE the idea of summer school! It's their social center....they get to see their friends at summer school.

Plus, they know how to play the system. They figure, why do the work required in 84-minute classes for 20 weeks (a semester) when they can get the same credit doing an hour long class for four or five weeks?

It used to be an embarrassment if you had to go to summer school when I was growing up. Not anymore. At least at our school, they look forward to it.

:dunno:

24. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 6, 2013

At my school if students fail one class during the third quarter, then they cannot participate in the promotional ceremony or the 8th Grade activities. They still move go on to high school.

25. microbe

microbe Comrade

Jun 6, 2013

I have a little secret idea that I typically keep quiet around teachers because I'm worried it would be too offensive.

Really, I believe that students like that should go to an apprenticeship program instead of high school. They can learn a valuable trade instead of wasting taxpayer dollars in the classroom. Plus, they won't be disrupting the students that do want to do the work.

I realize that's a very offensive idea, but I think it would be more beneficial for some students.

And if kids fail classes in middle school, do they get held back? It doesn't seem like they do get held back and I'm curious as to why.

26. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 6, 2013

I don't see why anyone would find this offensive. It's a good solution. I find it more offensive if we're forced to pass students who didn't do a **** thing in class the entire year and give them the same grade as a student who worked his butt off to just barely pass.

The thing is what do we do if these students screw around in their apprenticeship and get kicked out there too?