Failing Grades on Assignments

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

I always have parents sign any assignment in which the student received a failing grade. That way at midquarter or report card time there shouldn't be any surprises to the parents. This is a lot of work, keeping up with the papers that went home and making sure I got them back.

How does everyone else handle this? Of course, students should be responsible for taking everything home, but we all know some of them conveniently forget to show their parents the less than stellar grades!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2009

I always ask all assignments be signed and returned; some I keep and put in their portfolios, others just go right back home. When students bring back their signed assignment or test, I highlight the grade in my grade book; it's easy to tell, at a glance, those that are outstanding. For any that don't come back, I follow up with a note home in the agenda or a phone call home. I tend to photocopy any poorly done work before sending it home. That way, if it gets conveniently "lost" before parents see it, I have a back up copy.

4. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Aug 5, 2009

My students know that if they are irresponsible for anything, returning notes, homework, etc. They owe me their recess until it is returned. If it is more than 2 days late, I call the parents and discuss it myself.

5. Grace

Grace Companion

Aug 5, 2009

Last year I made copies of all failing papers. I sent one home with the student, and I kept one in his or her file. It was automatic documentation in case for some reason the child didn't show the parent the graded paper. I never had a parent complaining that they didn't know his or her child was failing.

6. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 11, 2009

I also have parents sign any failing grades...however, I can honestly say that I do not do the greatest job keeping track of whether or not they get returned to me. I love the idea of highlighting the grades in my grade book once I've seen the signature. I think I will try that this year...thanks for the helpful tip!

7. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 14, 2009

I send home packets of works every other week. Parents are to look over the packet or work and sign the attached behavior contracts from those 2 weeks. The entire packet MUST be sent back to me. If they have questions/concerns about their child's work they must a note on the top of the packet so I can address it. All work is sent home and it the parents responsibility to look it over. Any 6 week benchmark assessments (math and reading) each get signed individually and sent back to school. So when report cards go out and their child is failing, my response is, "I notified you with the packets of work that you singed, so you know how your child was doing."