Failed Teachers Support group?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SuperSide, Aug 20, 2008.

1. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

Going on the negative, I know.. But I was wondering if there was some kind of Failed Teachers support group. A discussion group for people who obtained their B.ed, and who loved the idea of teaching, but for whatever reason couldn't quite hack it as a teacher.

I see there are random threads from other people in these circumstances, but it is hard to find these thread, which makes it hard to connect to these people.

I know that in a lot of provinces there is a very high turn-over rate for beginning teachers. And there might even be other people in my situation.

I just think it would be nice to talk to people in similar situations as myself. It might make it easier and not quite so lonely.

Would the admins ever consider making a section just for that? I tried making a Facebook group about that last year, but no one would join... and facebook kind of kills the anonymity.

3. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 20, 2008

In Alberta the number is something like 1 out of 5 new teachers quit teaching within the first five years, and my one year in Alberta almost did me in! Now that I'm back in Saskatchewan I've had much better luck and I'm looking forward to the fall.

However, I personally know at least two teachers who feel the same way that you do. One now subs and the other is back in school.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2008

Yes, we have such a club... it's called, "Care to Join My Rum, Tums and Depression club?"

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?p=753043#post753043

Seriously, you have some valid concerns, and you wish to connect with Canada teachers for support. That makes sense to me.

In that regard, you won't necessarily think of yourself as a failure, but rather someone who decided to try another avenue. We have many posts from teachers turned librarians, nurses who become teachers, and lots of business people who are sick of the rat race, and are looking towards teaching.

Additionally, people have found satisfaction in substitute work, teacher assistant positions, and we have also tossed around the idea of starting our own schools/businesses.

I hope you find others to share your pain, and perhaps lead you in a path that will be more rewarding.

You can always work with children on the side...in a volunteer status.. The Girl/Boy Scouts, church, YMCA, etc. Non-profit and social service agencies offer a wide variety of opportunities to serve children. And we know teachers can do that better than anyone! ;)

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 22, 2008

SuperSide, what is your major and minor? Are you willing to move? I wouldn't give up home... Edm. public phoned me in Oct. last year. I should have gone for the interview...

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

every teaching situation is different. Instead of giving up entirely, why don't you try to find a position in a different school/district/grade level/subject area, ect. I've heard over and over again from teachers that making a transition to just one grade level over/under what they started out in made a HUGE difference in their satisfaction level.

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

yes... I know several teachers who started in primary and moved up to high school and administration! You never know what other challenges and opportunities await you. Climb out of your comfort zone, and try something new! In fact, some positions like dean or curricululm advisor are not as overwhelming as they sound! Read the entire job description and you may see something that is interesting to you!

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008

I think the idea of a Failed Teachers Support Group is not productive. If you have truly decided you have failed at teaching, then it is time to put teaching behind you and move on with your life. Be assured that there are many, many people in your boat and the fact that teaching does not work for them does not necessarily reflect badly on them. It just means they were not made for teaching.

OTOH, if you haven't given up on teaching, this entire forum is very much a Struggling Teachers Support Group.