Failed Icebreakers for Parent-Teacher Conferences

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2012

Top 9 Failed Icebreakers for Parent-Teacher Conferences

# 9
    "Wow, you're a lot hotter than my kid says."
    # 8
    "I hope this isn't about that algebra assignment I copied from Brayden's mom. How was I supposed to know she failed math in 1980?"
    # 7
    "Wow, you're much hotter than his second-grade teacher."
    # 6
    "So, what do you do around here?"
    # 5
    "Now, I don't want any of your fancy math-and-reading interfering with Jeremy's football practice."
    # 4
    "Let's just cut to the chase. I have an envelope full of Benjamins that says this kid's passing second grade on the honor roll."
    # 3
    "Do they grade elementary school on a curve?"
    # 2
    "So, where do I sign to enroll him for the gifted program? That's why we're here, right?"
    # 1
    "Wanna paper, rock, scissors to determine pass/fail?"

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2012

The worst I have personally heard from parents are:

"You don't have to tell me. She is stupid just like me."

"I don't care about how smart my daughter is - she is for marriage. How is my son doing?"

"Ï won't talk to my son about that.He would hit me."

4. ShellyAve

ShellyAve Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

O_O I can only imagine what these people are like...

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 22, 2012

I've heard the gifted one before!

I've seen the attitude of "academics" don't matter (never heard it point blank).

I had one student where I had to have two seperate conferences for. I had to fill out the report card twice so each parent got the "original." It was so hard not to laugh. The parents HATED eachother. Poor kid was in first grade at the time. He is now in 7th or 8th grade! Every problem/issue the boy had was "Totally his mom's fault!" (from dad) "Totally his dad's fault!" (from mom). Once meeting the parents (back to back) I realized it is both of thier faults! Prior to that I'd never met the mom. But the dad would come in to "help" during literacy time and hold his son like he was a baby and rock him! The administration would not let me bar the parent from the room. But he'd completely undermine the learning of his son and that of others! I can just see as he got older, how bad things probally got (unless his parents found a way to get along)!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 22, 2012

Years ago I got this one: "Son didn't tell me that is teacher was hot." Eeewww!

I always cringe with this one: "We don't read at our house."

I got this one a few years ago: "You're one of those new teachers, aren't you?" The parent who said that had her nose crinkled like she smelled something awful. She was much friendlier when I told her I'd been teaching something like 15 years.

Oh, and I had one who leaned in and whispered to me that she was really happy that her son hadn't gotten the lesbian math teacher. I smiled at her, knowing that while she might have dodged the "lesbian math teacher", she got the gay science teacher. I figured I'd let them find that one out on their own.