Faculty Changes on average?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Jun 25, 2009.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 25, 2009

So last year was my first year teaching. I'll be working at a different school in the fall. A friend from my previous school just called me and told me she'll be taking a new job at a different school too. Then I checked my school email and found out that their long-time art teacher is also leaving to teach at a high school. And before I left, another special ed teacher told me she would be changing schools too. AND just before school ended, the principal himself announced he would be leaving to work for district admin and would be replaced. So... that's five faculty member changes right there in one year.

Got me to wondering (since I'm so new at this) and I know every school will vary. But those of you who have been teaching for 5+ years - - on average, what would you say is your faculty change each year? Is it like, 5 come and 5 go? Or less than that? More?

Just curious. :huh:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2009

I know some years rarely see any changes, and others see a huge turnover. My second year (in a different district), the school that I worked at had 8 new teachers that year, and at the end of that year 7 teachers left.

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 25, 2009

I have been at my school for 13 years. You either stay forever or leave in the first few years. One year we had about 6 new but we usually only have 1 or 2.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

it also depends on the school
    the school I just left had one year when it got 20 new people. this year 5 left.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2009

I think it depends on the school and the city.

When I was in high school, I bet only one or two teachers left each year. The school is in established district, the largest district in the state....It's the goal for most teachers, not a stepping stone along the way.

At the school I teach in, we have faculty turnover of between 5 and 35 teachers every year. We have almost 150 teachers at our school, though, so that number might not be as huge as it sounds.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

Two years ago, my school had a kindergarten teacher leave because the district was decreasing the number of classes by one (though that number was increased again and we got a new kindergarten teacher in the end... the other kindergarten had already gotten a job), two grade five teachers retired, our music teacher retired and one of our resource positions was only a day and a half/week and the position got increased to 3.5 days/week, so she went back to her other school. A teacher that did a maternity leave took over Resource the next year.

This past year, they brought in a whole new French program, so we needed a new grade five french teacher. In addition, one of the schools had some displaced teachers that needed positions, so we got a new kindergarten teacher. A new behaviour intervention program came in that I was able to do, and we had a new music teacher, as the previous music teacher found a place closer to home.

This year... I'm out as my position is out. The music teacher is out, as of right now, since she doesn't have a teaching degree, they just needed someone to teach music. They can't give her a job until everyone else has been placed. We're getting an additional Phys. Ed teacher for 1.5 days/week and another grade five class.

So at our school, turnover is mostly due to retirement or getting bumped due to enrollment changes and district program changes.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 25, 2009

We don't have a very high turnover. Typically we nly lost people due to retirement. One year we had five retire. This year we had one retire in January, one retire in June, and one not get rehired. Some years we don't have any faculty changes.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2009

Our school gained 8 teachers this year due to other schools closing. We lost 3 because of that. We also have a P who likes to move teachers around and she moved more than one dozen.

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 26, 2009

I was on a campus with a staff of 40+ teachers and one year we had a turnover of 35 teachers! Urban, low-income, high ESL...

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2009

At my old school the year I was hired there was only two new hires. Me and a 4th grade teacher. The next year I think we got like two teachers, a spec ed and a first grade teacher. The next year when I left they had like 4 or 5 new teachers. My new school because of some district changes is moving or hiring about 8-10 teachers. Then They have 3 other schools that are also making some major changes as well. Most of this is because of the new superidentent.

12. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 26, 2009

It seems to go in cycles. Sometimes we have 5 or 6 teachers leave (for whatever reason), but usually we have one or none. We have 7 teachers who have been at our school for 30 years and a whole bunch from 15-30.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 26, 2009

This will be my second year teaching, but I'm one of the few people who is staying at my school that were new last year. I'm at a private school, so perhaps its a bit different.

On my grade team, one teacher was going to be switched because of low enrollment, but now that's not happening. And we'll have a different math teacher, but she's actually the regular math teacher for this grade, just had to take a year off.

In my subject dept, the year I started 2 teachers were leaving and 1 was retiring. Now 1 teacher left and one of the teachers that left last year is coming back.

I guess its pretty normal, though it wasn't something I was expecting after my first year was done.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2009

In my district, it's mostly retirees that leave. It's an amazing district in which to work. Supportive parents and administrators, great pay scale, wonderful professional development and colleagues. We had only one retiree this year (school secretary) and a maternity leave returning so a new colleague from my grade level is leaving. The principal hand delivered her resume to another district with great recommendations and she was hired right away. My principal has been transferred to the middle school in my district- to 'shake things up', I suspect. Other than that, pretty much no one leaves my district because they WANT to.

15. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 27, 2009

Sadly my school is one of those "stepping stone" type of districts! Mostly for three reasons...1 we are small, 2 the town doesn't have the best reputation, and 3 the second biggest district in the state is 15 miles away (they start $10,000 more then we do)!! We have A LOT of turnover!!! Usually ours fluctuates between one year lots of high school turnover and the next lots of elementary turnover. I'm starting my 4th year of teaching and we will be on overall (HS, elem, and super) administrator number 7!!!!!!!!!!

I like my school...but if this keeps up I'm going to have to leave! :(

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2009

myKroom, You described my district that I just left. I was just so tired of it.

17. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Jun 27, 2009

When my previous school got a new principal, 41 of us left. That was over 1/2 of the staff. The new principal did not get off on the right foot with the staff and offended most everyone. It was a shame because we had a strong team, great program, and were improving our achievement every year. The kids were hurt in the end. I got my first full time job when the school district switched to year-round so lots of teachers left.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 27, 2009

We usually have 4 or 5 go each year. This year 2 are leaving to go work in more administrative positions after completing their masters. When I started at the school it scared me because they sent a letter to all the teachers with new staff listed and all 4 teachers on our grade level were new :eek:. I was really afraid something was wrong with the school - but I guess it was just a coincidence.

We did get a new administrator this year at the very last minute, so some may be planning to leave to go work for the old admin, but we'll see. I honestly don't think it's bad for people who are unhappy to go, better than them being unhappy and staying. I think "fresh blood" on a campus can help sometimes.

19. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 27, 2009

:eek::wow: I'm jealous.

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2009

It really depends on the year this year. Morale is very low in my (former) school right now and there is even whispers of racism in the administration. I am leaving, but not because of that. Several others have requested transfers. I can think of about 10 people that are leaving off the top of my head. I think we only lost 2 last year.

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 27, 2009

My school in Michigan had very, very little turnover. We hired quite a few teachers my two years there, but it was to add classes, not because people left.

My first school out here in CA only had 2 returning teachers when I was hired-6 of us were new (tiny middles school). We were all hired from out of state. I left in Feb. because the conditions were so bad, and I heard they only had 2 returning teachers the next year as well.

My last school in CA had 1 returning teacher and 3 new teachers (again, tiny private elementary school). I'm not sure if any of the new teachers are returning next year.

Lesson learned? Schools that are hiring a practically new staff when you come in might have a REASON for that high turnover... if only I had listened to my mom....

22. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 27, 2009

I think it depends greatly on the environment of the school.What type of administration are you forced to work under?How supportive of the teachers are the administrators and parents?What type of children do you teach.Only one forth grade teacher is leaving this year for a gym position in another school WE have 85 staff members.The most I can remember was 5 teachers leaving for various reasons in one year.

23. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 27, 2009

This past year, I was one of 7 new teachers at my school. Next year I think we are only getting 3.

For the most part, I think it depends (at least here) on enrollment. My P told me when he asked if I was willing to teach Spanish that it was saving him .25 of a teacher, which would allow him, in turn, to hire someone to teach business ed.

24. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2009

My school usually has 1 new teacher a year- this year we don't have any. It is kind of nice, because we all know each other and love each other. It is kind of bad because I can think of one who should retire, but hasn't.