fact families

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Lindsnh, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Oct 4, 2007

I need some help with a lesson on fact familes with addition and subtraction facts. I cannot use a work sheet. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2007

How about have the kids 'act out' fact families? Put #s on tag board (ex: 6, 7, 13 each on different piece of tag board) hole punch and tie ribbon so tag can hang around neck. Also make an '=', '+' and '-' signs on similar tag boards...Get 6 kids to wear the boards and have them rearrange themselves to make the 2 addition and 2 subtraction sentences. You could have rest of class writing the equations on individual white boards...

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 4, 2007

Everyday Math uses dominoes to teach fact families. It is nice to have something concrete when first learning it.

We put the dominoes in front of us and touch the top and bottom as we say the first addition fact. We flip it around for the second addition fact. For the subtraction facts, I have them put it in their hand and circle it with their finger while saying the sum. Then they cover one side and subtract that number. Repeat for the remaining side.

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

5. shellbubba

shellbubba New Member

Oct 9, 2007

I "stole" this idea from another teacher and have used it for a couple years. It is called "Big Momma's House" You draw a simple house with 4 floors and the triangle being the attic. In the attic, you write the 3 numbers in the fact family (3,4,7) On the top 2 floors, the 2 kids (3,4) play by taking turns going first before the plus sign while big momma (7) sits in the corner and watches. Then on the bottom 2 floors, the kids have been bad and need "whoopins" The only person in the family that can hold the "whoopin stick (minus sign)" is big momma and the kids (3,4) have to take turns getting their spankings. The kid who is not get their spanking, sits in the corner giggling (the first time) or sitting in the corner crying (the second time) I teach this to my class and later, I will see students during their free time, making their own "Big Momma's House"

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 10, 2007

I think Big Momma is funny! Great visual.

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 10, 2007

I absolutely giggled when I read this, Shellbubba. I modified this idea today. Instead of woopin', we had Big Momma stick out her hand (the minus sign) and tickle each of the kids.

8. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 14, 2007

I did a variation on the "house" just saying that 3 people live in the house and their address is on the attic part of the house. It is the 3 who live there. So for instance 2, 3 and 5 live at the house. Same idea is the floors. Top floor is addition. Bottom floor subtraction. Big fat daddy is always first on the number sentences on the bottom floor,(subtraction) but when he is on the top floor (addition floor) big fat daddy is at the end of the number sentence. They they manipulate the "mommy" number and the "baby" number (middle number and lowest number so 3 and 2 for the above example.) The kids get it after about 2 lessons. Then I just have them draw a simple house on cheap paper and draw a line for the top floor and start writing the
    numbers in the attic (mom and baby number and then add them together to get the daddy number) Eventually you can give them a subtraction number sentence and they can figure out all 3 other sentences and finally you can give them 2 numbers and they can do the adding to get the 3rd number and then do all 4 number sentences. I also use dominos to vary the game. It will give them the mom and baby numbers and they add the whole domino to get the big fat daddy number. I know it sounds stupid but it works. It can also be a fun center if you laminate house outlines with 2 lines for top floor and 2 lines for bottom floor they can create their own family of facts houses adding flowers and chimney embellishments and the obligatory happy face sun of course! :lol:

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 14, 2007

I like the idea to act it out. I think that will make it click for the students!