Facial Cleansers.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 30, 2014

Hello!

I am seeking advice on skin care! I love my morning cleanser (Peter Thomas Roth) but my face gets very shiny and sweaty during the day. I live in south Florida and our school is an outdoor campus. During walks to specials/lunch/etc my face develops a lovely combination of sweat/sheen/glow.

I do the whole primer before foundation and then loose powder when I do makeup but maybe I should skip makeup and carry cleansing towelettes?

Sorry if this is a silly thread but I'm a skin care junkie as well as a teacher forum junkie!! :wub:

Thoughts?! Thanks!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2014

When I read the second sentence of your post I burst out laughing. My sister uses the PTR and although she can't smell anything, her young cocker goes NUTS for it, climbing up in her lap, grabbing her arm, and his little tongue goes in and out like he is eating it on the air. It is the funniest thing I have ever seen. Yadi is interested in her makeup in general, but this thing with the PTR will crack you up. I am not the skin care junkie - my sister got all of those genes. Her cocker and mine are related, but Yadi is nuts for the stuff and Ruckus acts like it is just a bottle. Thanks for bringing me a hearty laugh tonight. Wish I could help with the real question, but, hey, it's not in my genes - sorry!

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2014

I am also a skin care and beauty junkie. I have oily skin and I have yet to find a cleanser that reduces oil throughout the day unless it is also drying out my skin (which only make my skin produce more oil). I'm currently using a combo of First Aid Beauty and Boscia face wash products, but I tend to change my face wash often (unlike the rest of my skin care routine which I follow faithfully).

I like Make Up For Ever's HD Loose Powder in the morning over my make up; it's the best loose powder I have found for controlling oil long term. I get a good 4 to 6 hours out of it. I, might, blot my face during the day if it gets oily but I often don't have the time for any real touch-ups at work.

My make up varies - sometime I use my Bare Minerals powder, my Tarte BB cream (the 12 hour primer) or my Benefit "Hello Flawless." They are all oil-free and provide light coverage but are buildable. I do not like going to work with nothing on my face at all, but I don't like heavy, full coverage foundations either. I guess everything depends on whether you want to go to work with no make up on.

Good luck!

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2014

I have never found anything to solve the problem you are describing. So, what I do is get the oil blotting sheets and use them. They tend to remove the "glow" or "slick" depending on the day, and keep the make-up in place. You may consider that there is no complete solution. Sometimes treating the symptom is the best answer.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 30, 2014

I've tried quite a few cleansers in my day. My skin is very oily, acne-prone, & sensitive, so I have to be careful or else I'll break out. The cleanser I seem to have stuck w/ for some years is Johnson & Johnson's Clean & Clear Deep Action Cream cleanser.

The exfoliators that I don't seem to break out from is:

MAC's Mineralize Volcanic Ash Exfoliator:
    http://www.maccosmetics.com/product...Mineralize-Volcanic-Ash-Exfoliator/index.tmpl

- and -

Alba Botanica's Good & Clean Toxic Release Scrub:
    http://www.albabotanica.com/face/cleansers/toxin-release-scrub.html

In fact, I actually want to try out a lot more of Alba Botanica's products since they are 100% vegetarian ingredients & have NO animal testing, artificial colors, synthetic fragrances, parabens, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfate, or sodium myreth sulfate.

My skin's shiny/oily w/i an hour of putting on makeup. I also use a few oil ctrl products, including Urban Decay's De-Slick Oil-Ctrl Makeup Setting Spray: http://www.urbandecay.com/de-slick-...spray-by-urban-decay/345.html#start=12&cgid=4

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2014

I really like Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Daily Cleanser. It easily removes makeup and daily 'grime' without drying..so gentle and lovely, light fragrance.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 30, 2014

This is what I do and it works even if extreme heat.
    - moisterizer / make up remover: coconut oil
    - toner: apple cider vinegar. I use it at night as well, it really keeps my face clean and my complexion even. It somehow gives me a healthful glow.
    - foundation: only mineral make up. I use the one from Loreal, I've found it works the best, and then just simple powder from Covergirl. Nothing expensive, but the make up is light, has no smell, if I sweat it has no lines, smears, etc, it looks like I'm not even wearing make up.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 30, 2014

I use Timewise by Mary Kay. I have extremely oily skin and this helps. I do have to use blotting paper or powder in Texas in August but sweating tends to make me shiny!

10. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 30, 2014

I use Oil of Olay foaming cleanser. Instead of just using a normal washcloth to cleanse my face I swear by the Mary Kay skin invigorating brush. It's just as wonderful as a $200 Clarisonic system, but only $50. Your skin will feel like you've stepped out of a spa after using it. I've noticed it's cut down on my oily skin and has helped with monthly hormonal breakouts.

11. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 30, 2014

When I lived in florida I found that using primer actually made my face more shiny/sweaty when outside, even just for short periods of time. I took out the primer and just wore foundation and powder and then used a setting spray. This worked well for me!

I have recently developed adult acne so I use Mary Kay clear proof system for cleansing. I use the cleansing gel with the Mary Kay skinvigorate cleansing brush, it works really well! Before that I used naturopathica cleansing gel and loved that. I also used their lavender toner, but I don't think they make that anymore.

12. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Aug 31, 2014

Well this one is my favorite: http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3200001

Their whole skincare line is AMAZING, but this cleanser is my favorite. Gentle, soft and the smell is wonderful. The bible of skincare. I put it on my face and magical stuff happens.

Their eye cream also works miracles as well.

Also, no shine! But also that problem could be not applying any powder after your foundation, assuming you use liquid or cream.

Olay Fresh Effects as a "no shine" cleanser. I haven't tried it but it's worth looking into! http://www.olay.com/en-us/skin-care-products/shine-shine-go-away-shine-minimizing-cleanser

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 31, 2014

I love my skin care products, but I have very dry skin. Never get shine . . . but maybe they have a version for oily skin.

TimeWise cleanser & moisturizer in the morning
    Olay Regenerist cleanser and moisturizer at night
    Ulta or Smashbox primer
    Bare Minerals foundation
    Elf Photo Finish powder

15. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Aug 31, 2014

I've always had oily skin, but I recently found a facial regimen that works for me. It sounds odd that I use oil on my face, since my skin gets oily, but I'm not oily at all during the day. I found that by using an all-natural facial cleanser, I break out/am less oily than when using medicated cleansers.

-Wash with Kiss My Face Olive Oil bar soap (http://www.kissmyface.com/natural-body-soaps/item/192/Naked-Pure-Olive-Oil-Bar-Soap-Value-Pack)
    -Moisturize with a little of unrefined coconut oil, top with Cetaphil day moisturizer with 15 SPF.
    -Use Clinique Even Better foundation with a foundation brush
    -Top foundation with Clinique loose powder in translucent.

The Clinique Even Better foundation is a little shiny and has to be topped with a powder, but this facial regimen for makeup has improved my skin tremendously from my old one with medicated cleansers.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 31, 2014

I'd like to try this one too:

http://www.garnierusa.com/products/...n/clean-plus-shine-control-cleansing-gel.aspx

I don't think cleansers have to be pricey for them to be good, however, I won't be using some 99 Cent Store brand or anything. Cosmetics, however are a different story. I'll spend good $ for that.

I've used that for yrs. I like it better than the actual ones made of rice paper or paper.

17. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 31, 2014

I love all of these helpful replies. I do apply loose powder after my liquid foundation but do so very sparingly! Will try more next time. Thanks so much!

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 31, 2014

I have really dry skin, so I use different products, but my husband by has very oily skin and he loves the LUSH cleansers and products for oily skin.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 31, 2014

20. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 31, 2014

Incidentally my birthday is on Tuesday and my husband and baby surprised me with a certificate to a spa that has facials!! Yay!! :)

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 7, 2014

22. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 10, 2014

Ms I. - I LOVE Glycolic Acid/Cleanser! When I was pregnant it was one of the safer choices to use.

I went to Sephora and got some new fun products but I really think the oil blotting sheets were the best!

I think what is making me so oily is the actual fact that I am sweating so much since a lot of our campus is outside....!

Calling it my "healthy teacher glow." LOL.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 10, 2014

Starista, I couldn't wait to order the glycolic cleanser until I was done w/ my other cleansers. I already ordered it! :)