Facebook

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ParLawGod, Sep 28, 2009.

1. ParLawGod

ParLawGod Rookie

Sep 28, 2009

Hi everyone. I figured I would ask this question here, since some of you have probably had this same situation.

I am a first year teacher (general/vocal music) and have recently gotten a Facebook "friend request" from one of my students. First, I need to make sure that the district does not have a policy against this (I hear that some do).

I was wondering what the rest of you have done in this situation? I have absolutely no incriminating pictures of myself (I do not drink, or anything like that), people do not post inappropriate things on my wall, and I have no sensitive or "too personal" information about me. I've always used the "don't post anything you wouldn't want the world to know" philosophy.

I'm not worried about students knowing too much about me (I'm fine with them knowing what my favorite TV shows are, my hobbies, etc.) but at the same time I do not want to do anything that would make me look unprofessional to other teachers in the district.

I am also considering asking some people that I work with tomorrow.

Any thoughts? :thanks:

3. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Sep 28, 2009

If your Facebook is student-appropriate and you're willing to indulge them in outside-of-school communication, go for it. I do not share my Facebook with my fifth graders due to the content (mostly pictures), but I am friends with former students on Goodreads. My only warning is that you may get a lot of messages/wall postings/instant messages from students. That can get annoying and/or awkward.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009

We've had extensive discussions about this before - you can search the forums and find them.

Personally, I don't allow my students to be my friends on Facebook until after they graduate.

5. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Sep 28, 2009

I get friend requests from current and former students (my former ones are still in high school). I send them a message and tell them I can't friend them due to policy, that I'd love to and ask again when they graduate HS. I don't say that it's MY policy.

The kids who ask are great kids, but they are linked to lots of other students who are linked to god-knows-who.

Also, my friend is a teacher and one of her students found her tagged under her married name (which her students supposedly didn't know) in a pic with a beer in her hand. The pic was on a random friends FB, so you never know.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2009

I have a 2nd account with students and parents as friends.
    Really, it was an excuse to send myself gifts on Mafia Wars, Farmville, and Farm Town :blush:

I have nothing inappropriate on my main account, but I can't control what people post on my wall, so I did this to be on the safe side. I love talking to former students this way!

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 29, 2009

I ignore friend requests on FB from students. It's not worth it.

8. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

Like a previous poster said, this has been a well-debated topic in the past. I teach kindergarten, so it isn't really an issue, but I don't even accept friend request from my students' parents, until after they have left my classroom. It is just too hard. I don't have any questionable pictures or anything, but I don't want my parents to see any "harmless" comments from friends and take it the wrong way.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 29, 2009

I don't socialize with students ... facebook is a digital social network, therefore I don't have students on facebook.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 29, 2009

They have recently passed a law in Louisiana that all digital communication with students is not allowed unless it particularly relates to the educational services you are giving them. So, you can e-mail a student about a class project, but they can't call you to ask about spirit week. If they do, you have to report it. interestingly, the law did not make allowances for relatives. I hope all of the teachers with children at their school report every time their own kids call them to tell them soccer practice ran late, etc. But certainly under that law, Facebook would not be acceptable.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 29, 2009

Absolutely not. There's not an incriminating thing there, but, my personal life is simply mine.

12. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Sep 29, 2009

This is what I do too.

13. CANteach

CANteach Rookie

Sep 29, 2009

I don't allow any students - My settings are the most private they can be which can be a pain for people you do want to be able to find you but worth it. There is too many problems or potential problems and I just don't think its worth it. I can't control what other people put up on my wall and I dont have anything I wouldn't want a student to see but still - there are too many issues and always the potential of someone saying its an "inappropriate relationship". I just don't want to go there.

14. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

If you add one of your students, then ALL of your students will want to be your friend. This will create a lot of problems! I'm friends will a few teachers from high school but they would not add me until a graduated. Take the safer route, and just say no.

15. HMM

HMM Cohort

Sep 29, 2009

That's what I do.

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 29, 2009

I do allow faculty to add me depending on how close to them I am. I do NOT let students add me. I don't have anything to hide, of course, but I don't think its "proper"-- there has to be a boundary between teacher and student and my FB goes into my private life.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 29, 2009

I have a "no friends under 21" rule, with 3 exceptions-my 19-year old nephew, his girlfriend whom I've known forever, and my former student who I interpreted for, because he went to college far away, and it is the best way for us to communicate. (But, he just turned 21, so I guess that doesn't count anyway.)

It's not that I am worried about what I am doing on FB so much, but I don't want to know what they are doing. It puts me in a bad spot if I see a minor post about drinking or smoking or whatever.

Plus, as Hoot said, my personal life is my personal life. I don't have to share everything with them.

18. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Sep 29, 2009

When I was in high school, I was in a class that allowed us to be aides for teachers. anyways my teacher that I was helping and I were talking about facebook. she said how she has one but doesn't want to be friends with any of her students until after they graduate, and she simply told this to her students.
    I think that is prefectly fine and the best way to handle it personally.
    sometimes the student might forget they are friends with teachers and the poor teacher will find out more than they wanted to know! :haha:

I became her friend shortly after I graduated and it just seems better that way.

19. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2009

Excellent point ku_alum........

20. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2009

I'm friends with a number of former parents, one current parent, and no students. I had one student at my school (a seventh grader who's brother was one of my first graders long ago). I told his mom that I couldn't accept the request. She was fine with it, and told me he was just looking for YoVille neighbors.

The problem with friending students (or any unrelated minors for that matter) is not so much what they might see, but rather what you might see on their pages.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2009

If one feels their Facebook is absolutely appropriate, then I don't have an issue with them becoming friends with current or former students. I trust their judgment. But I wouldn't friend students for the same reason someone else posted: I'm not cussing, drinking, smoking, etc. on my Facebook, but if my students are...difficult situation. No thanks.

That said, I really do want to know how my former students are doing. They are the only children I have. SO, who wants to create a network for teachers and former students? Something very basic like Classmates...no games and things like that, just biography and life updates. :)

22. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 29, 2009

Hm. I could try to talk to some people I know who know database engineering and full on coding and see what they think.

This is what one of my HS teachers would do:
    She would only friend former students, but she would allow them to message her about assignments (if they couldn't access email for some reason)

23. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2009

I would only do this if I had a page SPECIFICALLY for that purpose. But I don't see the benefit, and the potential complications are too great.

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2009

I don't allow them to add me until they graduate because my page is personal and while I don't so anything incriminating or illegal, I might make remarks that I don't want to read, and more importantly, my own friends might make comments that I don't want others to read.

If I were to add students while they were my student, I would make a separate teacher page, that ONLY has students. You never know what your friends and family members will say about your or what pictures they might post.

25. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 29, 2009

What do you stand to gain from friending them? What do you stand to lose? I don't think anymore needs to be said.

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2009

I have many former--all now adult--students, and I have a few current students and ones who are still in school. Unless they are adults, they are blocked from my wall feed, my pictures, and anything else I can block them from seeing.

27. firemaple

firemaple Companion

Sep 29, 2009

Don't do it. Serioulsy. A simple fb status can turn into something. I don't even want to add my colleagues.