Facebook

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Jul 4, 2009.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

I received a request from a former student on facebook.. I don't want to accept on my current account, but would it be a problem to have another account on facebook (if that can be done) just for students and parents? Has anyone done this?

3. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

I agree that i wouldn't want accept a friend request from a student on my personal account, but I think if you made one soley for parents and studnets that it would be fine. Our C-tech just made a twitter account for our school.

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 4, 2009

I never thought about creating one just for school. That could be a good thing, but I'm still a bit apprensive. I'm going to have to do some thinking about this.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2009

It all depends on the MPAA rating of your life. (I think FB has a quiz for that). I have lots of former parents on my list and probably will have current parents on it next year. But there's really nothing much about me that I care if anyone knows. Most of my FB friends are actually parents of former students, family, and a few of my (very very nerdy) high school friends.

I do have to be careful what I say on my own wall. I have to watch my language and sometimes I have to avoid really controversial topics.

One other thing, however, that matters is whether or not the former student is a minor. Once you are friends with someone on Facebook, you may learn more about them than you wish to know. In the case of minors, you may find out things you are legally required to report. Which would not be fun at all. I'd be very reluctant to have an unrelated minor on my Facebook friends list.

6. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

Hi Sarge, I actually just replied to your post on another thread. I apologize as I see you have a strong opinion on Facebook. I think that different opinions are good and we don't agree on this particular topic.

Facebook should be used for true friends and family. It is too risky and unprofessional to cross lines. I think teachers need to be extremly careful. I'll keep it at that for now, but have several specific examples if needed.

Remember, we are teachers and not friends to our students. Just my opinion.:eek:

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2009

I'm probably a lot more transparent about my personal life than most people. Also, from time to time, parents of students have shared some of the same hobbies as me - namely cycling - and I've helped them with projects and fixed some of their bikes for them.

I've never run into any problems with this. In a lot of ways, it's no different than a business professional playing golf with his or her clients.

But back to the OP on this thread, I would never establish any kind of relationship with former student who was still a minor.

8. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

Sarge- You're reply makes sense and I think maybe it would be okay for you. Thanks! I do agree, minors never a good idea.

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2009

I am fairly "anonymous" on facebook. I have a myspace account, and I also try to be the same there. I had one student (in another class) find me on there this year, and I denied their request. When they asked me about it, I told them it wasn't me. I like to keep some things private I guess.

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2009

I have two former students who are in high school now as FB friends. Both of them babysit for my kids, so FB is an easy way to arrange sitting. My other former students who are FB friends are either in college or graduate school, so I don't see a problem with having them as friends. I have had kids who are 8th graders in my school send me a friend request, and I always ignore those.
    Like Sarge, I am fairly transparent about my life. I don't do anything illegal or inappropriate. I don't have anything to hide. I do not vent about school on FB, in part because so many staff members have FB pages.

11. Irma

Irma Companion

Jul 4, 2009

I had an account but I deactivated because I felt uncomfortable I had some parents of previous students that wanted to be my friend. It felt strange to me.

12. liz31865

liz31865 New Member

Jul 4, 2009

Thanks Sarge, for the insight on FB

13. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

I have a few students and parents as fb friends, but they are only allowed to see selected parts of my profile. I find this works pretty well so far.

14. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

I have some coworkers as friends on FB (and we are friends outside of school). I got a request from a former student's parent me on the spot about it. I told her in order to keep my professional and personal lives separate, I was not going to accept any parents as friends on FB. She was okay with that. I haven't had any requests, but I (personally) would not accept students either. Towards the end of the year, the principal at my school started talking about creating a policy for online activity we would have to adhere to. We'll see what comes of that...

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2009

There would be absolutely nothing inappropriate on my Facebook, so I would feel comfortable adding former students. If that wasn't the case, I think it's a good idea to create one devoted to your students. I love them and want to know how and where they are. :) (But I don't have a Facebook...maybe one day.)

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2009

Hmmm...don't know what I think about that. That could go south in no time. I hope the administration strongly considers whether they want to begin policing your home Internet use and if they do, how they go about it.

17. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

As long as the former students are adults, I think that is fine. Personally, I would rather keep things professional.

Thinking back to the past, I can't imagine having a former teacher of mine- as a current Facebook "friend." My teachers were people I looked up to and respected, they were not my "future friends." I still respect those teachers today. It may sound silly, but I don't think that Facebook is the right place to reconnect with students.

18. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 5, 2009

I think it depends on the type of relationships you build. Like Sarge, I am pretty transparent about my life with my kids and their parents. I have parents as FB friends and I have some of my former teachers as FB friends. My brand of "professionalism" is making a family in my classroom, I let me kids see my passion, my frustration, my excitement. As a result, there are very few secrets I keep from my kids. They could tell you about my significant other's career and the names of my pets. Plus, I am not crazy on FB with drunk pictures or anything!

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

I teach first grade, so that has even more benefits. My students too could tell you what my favorite bands are, what my cat's name are (and id them in a picture) etc.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 5, 2009

I have many colleagues who are friends on my Facebook and MySpace accounts. I would not, however, add a student or parent as a friend on either site. My students' parents need to know what's going on in the classroom, but they don't need to know about ANYTHING that's going on in my personal life. I don't feel the need to be transparent about my personal life. I am a young, twenty-something guy who doesn't want to have to censor anything and everything that's posted on my MySpace or Facebook accounts.

With that being said, I should also mention that there's nothing on either website that could potentially get me reprimanded, fired, etc. Trust me, I wouldn't want to lose my job over a silly website account.

21. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

I have not friended a parent or student. However, my account is G rated to the extreme...mostly family/ kid stuff I want to share with people (including my 85 yr old great aunts).
    I would be concerned about potential items that show up on the sidebars of my page that are not posted by me. I have a so-called friend who does every survey out there so I have his links to everything from "What name suits me best" to "What Charlie's Angel should I sleep with." Ugh

22. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 5, 2009

i feel the same as you do.

23. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

I'm not sure that would be visible to someone who is not friends with the person taking the surveys.

Edit: I checked. I can't see anything on my wife's page posted by anyone who is not a friend of me as well. Besides, their a big difference between your wall - which any of your friends can see - and your newsfeed - which only you can see. The "highlights" sidebar is only on your newsfeed.

24. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

While I may not have students and parents as "friends" it does not mean that they do not know my pet's name or my husband's name/career. I can be professional and personable at the same time. I feel that Facebook is for true family and friends. Although I also have nothing to hide, I still at times enjoy my privacy. Whether we like it or not, we are always teachers to our parents and students. There are times when it is nice to just be me.

25. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

Facebook is for people to communicate. How a person uses it to that end is up to them. I think there are some features that Facebook has that can make it useful for a teacher. For example, I've had online chats with parents that would have been difficult via email.

If I want privacy, I'll turn off my computer. But the other thing is that when parents see my facebook page, they see things about me that make me more human. They see what music I like, my favorite foods, why I hate yardwork, why I ride a bike everywhere, what I do on weekends, what my relatives look like, why I joined the military when I was 19 instead of going to college. Suddenly I'm more like them and less like the college-educated elitist do-gooder stereotype that many working class people have of teachers.

There have been many threads on this forum about how teachers are supposed to lead extra-sqeaky clean lives that other adults are not expected to lead. I think this is in part due to the fact that teachers are viewed as having a humanity that is slightly unreal.

26. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

Sarge- I really like discussions and Facebook is a great one as many people have differing views.

I like that we have different opinions. Neither one of us is right, our opinions are just different. I respect your views and hopefully you respect mine as well. I can tell you are an amazing teacher.

Thanks!

27. Earth2me

Earth2me Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

I have a Facebook page that I created under my maiden name so that it would be much harder for my students to even find me. I can see how friending someone might help to build a positive relationship, but I can also see way too many pitfalls. For example, on my sidebar, someone (who I am not friends with) posted a very old college-party type picture of my SIL. It would be one of those very embarassing moments for me if a similar old photo popped up for a parent to see. Or, I can just imagine someone writing on my wall, "So, why did little Susie get an F on her test?" Sure, its simple enough to handle, but why open the can of worms in what is supposed to be my personal time? And once you parent a friend, you also know that minor childrren are going to have access to posting in spots where you can see their info anyway. If a parent updates their status to "my kid is driving me crazy!" and their child, your student, comments on the status to say "well, #$#$#$#$", it will show up on your newsfeed.

That was really long and rambling and I'm not sure if it even made sense. I understand and respect that other teachers can use FB to build a professional bond with the community, but it is a headache that I would rather avoid.

28. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

Earth2me, those would definitely be things I'd consider if I taught older students. However, with first graders, they ususally don't post complaints about their parents online and first grade parents don't usually complain about grades.

I also think that my style of relating to parents isn't for everyone. It works well for me because I have a personality that tends to be far more open and transparent than most people.

29. Earth2me

Earth2me Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

Sarge, haha, yeah, I guess it would be much different with first graders. I have middle school kids in a very low income, "tough" environment. I'm glad that it works well for you! :)

30. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

I agree, Sarge! I am very open with my parents about my life. I teach PreK and have kids at home who are 11, 8, 5, and 4. When there is a problem in the classroom, it helps me relate to the parents if I talk to them about similar situations with my own kids. I've also asked some of my parents for advice about my own kids. They are more receptive to what I have to say if they feel we have things in common.

Right now, I don't have any parents or former parents on as friends on facebook, but I do on myspace. I have nothing to hide and don't post anything questionable. It wouldn't bother me to add them if they asked.

31. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

That's EXACTLY what I was going to say. The quiz thing, and the fact that you can't stop your "friends" from writing whatever they want on your wall - some of that may just be not exactly what you'd want parents/students to see. And on my sidebars, I can link to any picture that any friend of my is tagged in...

So here is a scenario that actually happened, and would concern me if parents/students could access it. There is a picture of a bachlorette party I attended in which I am tagged, and it is now in "my photos." I didn't post it, I didn't tag myself. But it's on my page. I was glad that I wasn't doing anything wrong in the picture, but we were clearly in a bar, and the bride was clearly drunk. And my mom commented on a picture of my nephew, now in drug rehab, passed out on a couch...she wrote, "I sure hope you are sleeping." Well, he wasn't. But, when she wrote that, it appeared in my sidebar for a while as "Jane Dane commented on this picture" and every one of my friends could click on it and see what was going on. I didn't even VIEW that set of pictures, nor am I "Friends" with my nephew, but it still linked from my page.

I do not friend people I know professionally.
    Kim

32. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 5, 2009

I do not identify myself as a teacher on my Facebook page, nor do I identify my employer. Last year, the Washington Post searched through Facebook and MySpace, looking for area-teacher websites. They find a couple of young teachers just out of college who have fun party things on there, and print their names and schools in the paper. Forget about having a private life in the DC area, not to mention the double standard that teachers face vis-a-vis other professions!

Granted, my life is pretty boring now...sigh, but as I have no control what other people put on my site, I don't friend former students, and I'm very careful about what I say. Besides, the whole fact that I would be singled out by a reporter trawling for dirt just because I am a teacher really creeps me out.

33. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2009

Just as an FYI, you can untag yourself from any photo.

34. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2009

When you take a quiz, only YOUR friends can see that quiz. So let's say I'm friends with a parent. And one of my college buddies takes the "Which Stereotypical Stoner Are You" quiz. The parent will not see that unless they are also friends with my college buddy.

You can also delete posts on your wall and control who can write on it or even prevent other people from writing on it at all.

35. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 6, 2009

The way things are going everyone will have a personal and a professional page soon. Blurring the lines between who you are personally and professionaly can be a real problem.

36. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2009

A few other things. If you write on your own wall, it goes out on your newsfeed and all of your friends see it. They also see any comments that your friends make to your wall post, regardless of whether or not they are friends with that person.

This is the one thing to watch for, in my opinion. If I post on my wall that I had fun at a friends party, and then my friend comments "Next time wear clothes when you dance on the front lawn at 2 AM," all of my friends will see the comment. But I can also delete the comment if I wish.

37. Earth2me

Earth2me Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

Seriously, you'd think they'd have something more important to write about in the DC area. Or at least some better dirt than a teacher having a FB page.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2009

Sarge, I have no idea about anything FB related, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

If someone posts a comment on your wall, do you get some sort of notification so you can block it before the world sees it? If your're away from the computer for a few hours, and you put up some sort of block? Otherwise isn't it possible that someone could post something incriminating, and that by the time you got to it, it would already be too late to stop it from getting out?

39. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

I'm far from the DC area... but I think it's more common than you think.

Really, I think it all depends on where you live. Our local paper did a similar report about teachers that use myspace and facebook. They also complained about our contracts and snow days... so I don't think they like teachers too much.

In a smaller area we have to be pretty careful.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2009

Yeah, but the Washington Post????

Things certainly have changed since Woodward and Bernstein!

41. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2009

You get an email. So, it depends on how often you check your email, I guess. I can't facebook from work....so there are days that I can't get to facebook until after 4. Even if I get an email about a wall post (and the email does actually tell you exactly what the post says, too), it may have to stay up there for hours before I can get to it.
    Kim