Facebook "Wall" templates?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cruiserteacher, May 14, 2011.

1. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 14, 2011

I've been wanting to do an activity where the student creates Facebook updates for a character from their book. Does anyone have any templates that look like a Facebook wall?

Thanks!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 14, 2011

Hmmmm, in my humble opinion, I don't know if I would do a facebook type activity with a group of kids too young to even legally have facebook. Instead of a facebook activity, what about having them make a journal, pretending to be the character? :)

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 14, 2011

I designed my own using Excel. Simply box (put borders) around groups of cells like a Facebook page. Since mine is tailored to a HS level drama with images of the characters, it would probably be more work to change mine than to create your own.

And, If this is for 4th graders, I'd consider what Peachy wrote.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 14, 2011

I just did this with my juniors, and I have to agree with what Peachy said. It's a really difficult project to do if you want them to do it well. There are lots of templates on the internet, though. Just google it.

6. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

May 14, 2011

I Think there is a website to do That...a pretend fb. I'll check my laptop for the link asap.

7. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

May 14, 2011

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 14, 2011

We won't be doing it on the computer, it will just be a write-in. I respectfully disagree with having an assignment about a website that they are too young to have access to. They do have access. They're all on FB, whether they're too young or not. I'm not their parent, and if it was my child, he wouldn't be, but that's just the climate of the school that I work in. I've been making a great effort this year to reach kids how they learn, and to make assignments fun and interesting. I do reading response journals, but they are bored with them. I really don't see anything wrong with having this kind of assignment.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 14, 2011

For what it's worth, I don't see it as a problem either.

10. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 14, 2011

for info only we use edmoto.

11. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 14, 2011

sorry, it's edmodo.

12. husker_blitz

husker_blitz Companion

May 14, 2011

We have a teacher's guide that came with the book Hunger Games and on the CD is a complete set of everything you will need give this a go. The FB templates are all set to go and your students just need to type and copy and paste stuff into place. Plus it gives you extra resources for the activity. It's a really, really neat set up. Worth the money!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...ssons-QA-Tests-Activities-Quiz-Vocab-Maps-Key

13. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

May 14, 2011

14. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 15, 2011

I have used Edmodo, but we do not have the computer access for all students to participate on it daily.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 15, 2011

I'd be interested in a good template too. I think that's something my 4th/5th grade group could really get into. I don't see a problem with this at all either- I think it's a great idea! 4th graders and even younger students definitely have facebook. I had to set my privacy settings so that I'm unsearchable because students kept trying to "friend" me. My mom works at a conservative private religious school and she really wanted to do this with her 5th graders (who yes, all have facebook at home too) but we couldn't find a good "print out" template (they were all online and she only has one computer in her classroom). If I had a child I'd monitor them using fb but it wouldn't be on the top of my list of worries. With all the violent video games parents let their kids play without batting an eyelash this would be the least of my concerns.

16. Breakaway4

Breakaway4 Rookie

May 15, 2011

17. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 15, 2011

I have two nephews who are 19 y.o. and they put some really stupid and incriminating things about themselves and their family... and they're good kids, just stupid for not realizing everyone doesn't intrepret things the way they do. I went on my 82 y.o. mom's FB account and deleted her grandson as a friend. I didn't feel like telling her what "wtf" meant. One of his friends used it as a comment.

18. husker_blitz

husker_blitz Companion

May 15, 2011

I've used that before as well. It's pretty easy but it's a little tougher if you want them to 'interact' with other characters.

19. Breakaway4

Breakaway4 Rookie

May 15, 2011

They were able to list friends, family, enemies etc. and then use those characters to "interact" on the "wall" posts. In what way did you find it difficult for them to interact with other characters? You mean other students?

My main problem was that our school lacks the bandwidth to not have this process be incredibly slow and frustrating. We were "timed out" often. :( I like the idea of paper "walls"/"pages".

20. husker_blitz

husker_blitz Companion

May 15, 2011

Sorry, yes I was referring to other students. I wanted them to portray one character and "interact" with the other characters that others had made. It was a fun project, just difficult to pull off the way I was hoping.

And yes, that site was very slow.