Facebook ughhh

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rabbitt, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2015

I have friends on FB whose kids secretly post on their parents status. Things like...
    My oldest child is my favorite.
    How do I get rid of butt zits?

I never leave my FB logged on, but if I did and this happened, it would be the one and only time. Good Golly.

Rant over.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 3, 2015

I have a few cousins who do this on my aunt's FB page and they are ADULTS!! I just shake my head. They are extremely immature :dizzy:

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jan 3, 2015

Innocent little pranks are harmless.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 3, 2015

My son does this. Everyone knows that I've been hacked. It's harmless.

6. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Jan 3, 2015

I don't have Facebook or any of the other social networking site accounts. Maybe I'm just antisocial, or maybe I just don't want to put up with drama or need to know what people who I barely know are having to eat during every meal. ;)

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jan 3, 2015

And some of us like to keep in touch with current and former colleagues, friends, teachers, family members, etc. all in one place and don't "friend" people we don't care about which is technically a gross misuse of the website.

;)

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 3, 2015

You can put certain people on ignore if you really don't want to see their dumb posts without hurting their feelings by "unfriending" them.
    There is one friend of mine who takes selfies at least 3 times a week. They all look the same except for her clothing. Same exact pose every time!! I'd rather see pictures of interesting meals LOL

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 3, 2015

Did that with my SIL and her drinking posts.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 3, 2015

I love FB! I have friends and family all over the world so it has been a great way to keep in contact with them all -- for FREE!!:D I have some friends who post too many selfies but it is easy to skip over their photos.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 3, 2015

I did this with my aunt. I'll look at her page every so often to see what she's up to, but she posts so often that it is annoying. This way we are still connected on FB but she doesn't drive me crazy on a daily basis.

12. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Jan 3, 2015

And some of us use email for that. ;)

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2015

I do love FB.
    And I do block the meals and the constant selfies.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2015

Luckily, my daughter is too young to do this. Once she gets older then I will have to be more careful about leaving Facebook open.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 4, 2015

I've had a place a FB friend on "ignore."

She posts selfies nearly every morning. She takes them in the car on the way to work. :rolleyes:

Oh, and we work together, too!

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2015

If I was a kid and my parents were dumb enough to leave their Facebook open, I would do exactly what is described above.

As an adult, if one of my friends left their Facebook open and their kid posted "How do I get rid of butt zits?" I would like the post and respond in an effort to get a conversation going and see how long I could keep it up.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 4, 2015

It's a lot more convenient to keep up long-distance friendships with facebook than with email.

I like facebook because I can share photos of my daughter with family that otherwise wouldn't ever get to see her. I have several aunts and uncles on "visit once a year terms" that get to see my daughter grow up that otherwise wouldn't be able to. Ditto for various high school/college friends. Not going to lie either... there are a lot of people who would have completely fallen off my radar if not for facebook. Do I really to keep in touch with an old high school girlfriend? No, of course not. Is it still nice to see that she's doing well, and to occasionally chat? Yeah.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong post quoted. Sorry!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2015

I (and dh) haven't accepted friend requests from certain members of dh's family (for a variety of reasons...most of all because we don't need them knowing what we do and talking about us...). Got called out about it at Christmas family gathering...yeah, that's kind of why I'm not friends with them in the first place. Chardonnay is quite therapeutic in such situations.

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2015

If you haven't mastered the look of consternation that some email "may" go astray, now is a great time to learn it. I favor the look from "Home Alone". "OMG, could it possibly have gone to my spam folder??? No, I check that periodically, now when did I check that last? Not too sure - Honey have you been on my computer? Did you let the kids use my computer? Are you sure the dogs didn't jump on my computer? Mail is missing! I will have to get to the bottom of this!!!" And then I just go home and make sure that their friend requests are blocked, going directly to spam, if that wasn't the case already. I am pretty good at blaming it on my work server, faulty laptop, decrepit desktop, or the lack of a smart phone - my phones are all dumb, thankfully. Anyone who wants to call me out on ignoring a friend request on FB better bring their A game - I could go on like this for an hour, or however long it takes until they obviously wish they had never broached the subject. It's all about knowing your strengths. :lol:

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2015

Yeah...I did that. :thumb:

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2015

The wine is just a well deserved perk!