Facebook question

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by PepperPotts, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2013

While I agree with your earlier sentiments, that you should be able to post private thoughts on your private FB account, I also agree with most people here - you should not have posted those things because they can be linked back to your name. I'm not saying your comments were wrong or inappropriate (who am I to judge?), but you never want to do anything that might jeopardize your job.

While I don't have FB, I would not post anything on there you would not say to Admin's face. Either lie (I love my job! Can't wait to see my students tomorrow!) or say nothing at all. Once again, you may hate your job, but you need your job ...

2. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 23, 2013

Heck of a justification.

3. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 23, 2013

I agree that you should be able to have a private Facebook, but it's just not smart to post anything of that nature when it comes to any job, not just teaching. It's especially important when privacy is involved, like when you're writing about kids. I know that people get fired from office type jobs for complaining about their bosses, customers, whatever. Employers even look up Facebooks before hiring. I know of one friend who specifically looks people up before hiring them to see if they've been smart with social media. They've rejected an otherwise qualified applicant because he had posted pretty inappropriate stuff online. This was not in the education field. Even if you're justified in complaining, it's not wise to post about it on a public forum with your name attached. Facebook walls are more like billboards than diaries, and should be treated as such. Use this experience as a valuable lesson.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2013

Good luck to you on your new job! Hopefully, this is just a lesson learned.

5. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 23, 2013

I agree with everyone else, I simply do not post anything about work on facebook. I have listed which district schools I work for, but never, ever mention work. I strictly post about my OWN children, their birthdays, sports, family stuff...etc.

6. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Nov 23, 2013

I'm sorry, but did you just call a child a TOOL? Thank God these children won't have to deal with a TOOL like YOU anymore.

Yet again proof that unqualified, unfeeling "educators" can get a job, but someone like me who desperately wants to be a teacher and make a difference can't.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 23, 2013

I wasn't going to post in this thread but when I see a pile on, I get upset. I don't think attacking the OP is very productive.

Some kids make a teacher's life hell. Some students will threaten and harass a teacher to the point where she has to vent. I've been there. The mistake was posting on Facebook. That was unprofessional. I hope the OP learns not to do that in the future.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2013

So, the OP is a tool, now? :rolleyes: How do you know the OP is unqualified? He had the credentials to get the job in the first place. But, since he's leaving his job, there's a position available for you in NC now.

I agree. The OP's feeling are not invalid or wrong - we feel what we feel. The FB posting is the issue here, IMO, not what he feels. JMHO.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 23, 2013

I don't post anything negative about ANYONE on Facebook - names or not. You never know who is reading it!

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 23, 2013

Whether it was right, wrong, whatever, I will ask again:

What was your goal in posting those things? What did you want out of it?

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 23, 2013

Based on his description, I'd say the kid is probably something worse than a tool.

That doesn't mean the kid doesn't deserve hard-working and caring teachers, and yes there is probably a lot of underlying stuff, but let's call a spade a spade. When one student is able to single-handedly ruin every class he is in, and actively, negatively affect the education of everybody around him... purposefully... then yeah, I'd say the word tool would probably be appropriate.

Now, would I do it in public? No. Have I personally ever had a kid like that? Well... other than the one time I subbed in an inner city school class and had a 15 year old 7th grader almost knock me unconscious with a desk, I haven't. But would I have much good to say about such a child behind closed doors where (supposedly) only my friends could see it? Nope.

12. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Nov 24, 2013

Have I had a student like that? Yes. Has he ruined the class he's in? Yes. Did he leave? Yes. Did I celebrate on the inside? Yes. Did I celebrate on facebook? No.

Even when other students asked if I was happy, all I would say is that I hope he finds a place to get the education he needs.

Posting things on facebook (regardless of the privacy settings) is like walking into a crowded auditorium and announcing it to the audience. You have a right to do it. But your employer also has a right to discipline you for it. And it's not just the education field. If my sister posted what a tool her boss or some of the clients are, she would get fired.

Actions have consequences and nothing on the internet is private. How many times do we preach that to the students?

13. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Nov 24, 2013

:yeahthat:

14. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2013

I missed whether or not you'd already landed your next job or if you are searching. If you are still looking (and if posts about work are still visible - even to secure users) ... take down or disable any work-related posts until your new position is secured. Even if you were justified in complaining, you don't want to appear to be disgruntled or have to explain your complaints to a potential employer.

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 24, 2013

Just to make sure, you are aware that nothing you said disagreed with anything I said, right? Nowhere did I say that posting this on facebook was okay (in fact, the opposite). I was primarily responding to the attack on the OP.

16. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Nov 24, 2013

Agreed. OP may not be perfect, but several here act as though they've never said or thought anything bad about a student. Yes OP posted negative things, but I still don't think she deserved the backlash from the school... how ridiculous. She didn't threaten anyone, name names, or say anything inappropriate.

OP, you sound human (just like the rest of us!). Hopefully you've learned from this experience and I wish you luck at your new school.

Sorry the politics of education are ridiculous.

17. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Nov 24, 2013

I agree with i8myhomework, while the post may not have been the wisest decision, it's not necessarily wrong. I don't think teachers should necessarily have to be super-human even during their off time. It's not like the OP made a threat or gave out confidential info

18. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 24, 2013

Super human to not post negative things about work on Facebook? That isn't setting the bar very high now is it?

19. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Nov 24, 2013

A lot of people I know (in a wide range of professions) bitch about work on Facebook. I don't think doing it makes you an awful person. I also don't think not doing it makes you an awful person.

Complaining about something online is the norm. OP just happened to get busted. I'm still sympathetic.

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 24, 2013

OK. We are beating a dead horse now...

Moral of the story?

DON'T POST NEGATIVE STUFF ABOUT YOUR JOB ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, ETC., IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH THE CRAP AFTERWARDS. IT WILL COME BACK AND BITE YOU IN THE BUTT.

Lesson learned by all? Probably not. SOMEONE will always be out there to do something stupid like this again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.