Facebook privacy...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Dec 9, 2009.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 9, 2009

I couldn't find the thread that discussed privacy options on facebook, since it had gotten into specifics on how to set privacy options and the troubles that FB was having because it had outgrown its initial concept. Anyway, for those who are interested, they have updated their options. When you log into FB you will get this message:

Privacy Announcement
    We're making some changes to give you more control of your information and help you stay connected. We've simplified the Privacy page and added the ability to set privacy on everything you share, from status updates to photos.
    At the same time, we're helping everyone find and connect with each other by keeping some information—like your name and profile picture—publicly available.

The next step will guide you through choosing your privacy settings. You can learn more about how privacy works here.

Hopefully, the new privacy options will better enable all of us to control who has access to our information.

3. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 9, 2009

I think FB's hand got twisted on this. What I heard through a number of news outlets was that they were in legal trouble in Canada for the lack of protection and since Facebook has an unusually large number of Canadians as subscribers (given Canada is a small country) the news outlets suggested that it was easier to just adjust the whole system as opposed to set up a different template for Canadians.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 9, 2009

However they got there, increased privacy protection is a good thing. :)

5. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 9, 2009

I agree it is definately a good thing :)

6. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 10, 2009

Non-friends can still see your friends list, fan pages, and, I think, your profile picture. That doesn't make me happy at all. I don't have anything to hide, there is nothing on my page that could be embarrassing, but I do like keeping everything private. I'm pretty sure if I change my settings so that no one can friend me (I forget the name of the setting), then this won't happen anymore.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

You can definitely hide your profile picture. Not sure about the friend list.

8. reverie

reverie Companion

Dec 11, 2009

I used to be able to hide when I clicked on the "like" button on someone's status. Now it shows up on my recent activity whenever I click on someone's status. I don't like it and I can't find how to change it. I even visited the help section and others are having the same problem.

The best thing to do since the change is to go in and review all your privacy settings because you don't want them reset at default.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

I'm still trying to figure out the new settings. My profile picture used to be hidden and my name wouldn't come up in a search for me, but I'm not sure if that's the case now. I almost want to create a dummy account to test the new settings. A police officer friend of mine was complaining that she was having trouble becoming "invisible" again. For obvious reasons, she's even snarkier than we are about privacy.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2009

It used to be when you searched for me all you could see was my picture (where I am so far away you can barely see me), name and network and now you can see my friends and the pages that I'm fans of. I was trying to fix it the other night (back to the way I had it) and nothing worked, hopefully it can be resolved or I can figure it out soon!

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

Now I'm irritated. I can't find a "contact us" button anywhere on facebook. I've messed with the new settings, and I still can't figure out how to hide my profile from everyone. I DO NOT want my profile searchable. If I can't do that, then I'm taking everything down and deactivating my account.

12. reverie

reverie Companion

Dec 11, 2009

mmswm, try Settings > Privacy Settings > search. You should be able to edit from there who can search for you, if anyone.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

Thanks, rev...it was right there in front of my face the whole time. It's back to where I had it before.