Facebook Pics of Students

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by scienceteach, Nov 4, 2011.

1. scienceteach

scienceteach New Member

Nov 4, 2011

I'm a high school chemistry teacher and wanted to post a picture of me with my students doing experiments on my own personal facebook...is that okay?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 4, 2011

Not if the students are in the picture.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 4, 2011

Our district doesn't allow us to do that. We can only post pictures on district sponsored sites and only if their parents have signed a consent form.

I think they worry that someone may take your pictures and use them in some way beyond the parents/students' knowledge. There is also an argument that it's a violation of privacy.

5. scienceteach

scienceteach New Member

Nov 4, 2011

Noone is going to see the pictures on my facebook profile except for close family and friends

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 4, 2011

Again, it wouldn't be in my district because it's not a district website. Does your district have an official policy? If not, maybe run it by your department chair or principal.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2011

It doesn't matter who else could see the pictures.

Unless you have written permission to post them online, you can't.

8. scienceteach

scienceteach New Member

Nov 4, 2011

Who do you get the written permission from?

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 4, 2011

10. scienceteach

scienceteach New Member

Nov 4, 2011

So if i want to post pics of me with my high school class doing experiments on my own personal private facebook- i have to get written consent from parents?

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2011

Yes. If you are using pictures of students you need parental consent.

12. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Nov 4, 2011

Yes, you do need written consent. If you really want the pics, the only thing I can think of is you could photoshop their faces out. But personally, I don't think its worth the risk.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2011

Just curious-- don't they cover this in teacher education coursework?

Of course it was never covered when I was becoming a teacher; the internet was science fiction at that point. But I'm stunned to realize that this apparently wasn't drilled into your head before you became certified.

The legal ramifications of student involvement in internet use are a BIG deal.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 4, 2011

No Alice, they don't. Our school does a huge FERPA workshop at the beginning of the school year and says over and over and over that we have to be careful about violating their privacy. They have never talked about digital media. I just assume. Of course these boards have been an eye-opening too.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2011

Alice, I graduated back in 2005 and I know it wasn't covered then. I didn't even think about this sort of thing until I got my first job and created my kinder website. That was when I looked into district policy about student anonymity and sharing photos/student work/names/etc.

I think that nowadays, they SHOULD cover it, especially with the rise in social media sites (twitter, fb, etc).

To OP: a lot of teachers think that because it's on their site, that is "private" means that it's okay. It's not. You've seen the changes on facebook. I can now see what my friends say when they comment on THEIR friends photo (even though I'm not friends with that person). I can even click and look at that photo even though I'm not friends with them. NOTHING on facebook is private. And even then, a friend MAY rat you out and complain to the admin that you are putting up photos of so and so's child.

I know if I had kids, I would feel VERY uncomfortable that their photo is on their teachers facebook page. Their classroom website is one thing, but a private page that I cannot access would actually bother me.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2011

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack.

But how remarkably shortsighted of those teacher prep programs!

I would be very loudly unhappy with any teacher or school employee who posted a picture of any of my kids online. I don't care about privacy settings or anything else. They don't have my permission, and it is NOT OK.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 4, 2011

There are a lot of things these programs assume is common sense.

18. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 4, 2011

That would bother me too! This year, for the first time, we could not even post class lists on the front door of the school so parents would know who their child's teacher was before the first day. That was all because in another school across town, a parent took a picture of the class lists on the door and posted them on Facebook. Of course the parent who posted the pics intended no malice. They were just trying to be helpful to other parents to save them a trip over to the school. However, posting kids names (first and last), grade level and teacher was not appropriate for a social networking site. You can't be too careful.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2011

It absolutely frightens me sometimes when I see the things people post online. How on earth do they survive to adulthood without the ability for minimal thought?????

20. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 4, 2011

!^:yeahthat:

And even with the ridiculous overly open changes in Facebook, a picture is only private until someone you've shared it with thinks it's cute and wants to share with someone else. I think that social media is so new that laws haven't caught up with it. I think we'll see many more lawsuits in the coming years about what is private and what can be shared with who and for what purposes.

In my district too, parents have to sign a consent form to have ANY pictures taken. If I had kids, I don't think I'd post any pics on the internet at all. It's just too uncontrollable.

I'd avoid posting pics of your class. Don't ask for trouble.

21. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 4, 2011

Alice, I honestly think the training programs are so slow to change and content keeps growing by leaps and bounds that social media is just too new to have really been considered an issue. Think about just how new phones in our pockets are, and phones with cameras are even newer. It's only in the past 5 years or so that everyone has a camera/recording device at their fingertips. I said on another response on this thread that I think we'll see many lawsuits in the coming decade to sort out just how the justice system will judge information spreading and photo sharing online.

I don't say this to excuse some people's lapses in judgement. However, I do understand it, in light of the world today. Technology has moved faster than ethics or reason. It's an unfortunate reality of our times.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 5, 2011

I graduated in 2005 and our program had a class on ethics and law, and a whole unit in that class devoted to the Internet, including e-mail, texting, social media, etc. I think it depends on the quality and age of the program you are attending.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2011

Our high school seniors get a mandatory seminar that includes these issues.

I cannot understand why it's not seen as urgently important in any teacher prep program.

24. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2011

I graduated in 2005 also, maybe its regional because in NY it was drilled into our heads...not about Facebook- since it wasn't around but for using pics on websites or even in our portfolio. In fact we needed a release form to take pictures whether we were going to use them any where or just hang them in the classroom.

25. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 5, 2011

I got my degree in 2005, I learned in my program about online photos. We had an entire semester class about student and parent and teacher rights.

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2011

I spend a lot of time talking about these issues to my grade 7 and 8 students. They practically live on-line--they need to know how to keep themselves, and everyone around them, safe and protected.

27. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 5, 2011

Please really listen to the advice here and don't do this unless you have permission . . . . just this week one of our teachers was written up and lost three days pay due to pictures she had posted on Facebook. A parent printed out several of the pictures she had posted on Facebook of students in her classroom and sent it to our super. I have heard in the news and on these boards of things like this happening to teachers, but now have first hand experience of what happens when teachers don't think about who can see pictures even with the most private settings.

28. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2011

I'd have to blur out the faces of the students. It would be easy to do in Photoshop. Otherwise, I wouldn't take the risk.

29. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Nov 5, 2011

I wouldn't do it. A few teachers up here do it though, but I live in a very rural area - and I think things might be a little more lax here. Again, I would not do it myself, but I have seen it done.

Be safe, and don't post them. As another poster said, they're only private until someone likes them and shares them.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2011

My teacher prep program didn't even cover IEPs...so, yeah, no Internet ethics, that's for sure. Pathetic program. Anyway...

I understand the difference, but what do you all think about taking these photos and using them in your portfolio for interviews, or using them in condensed portfolios copied and sent to various school districts, or used a traditional scrapbook shown to friends and family? It the concern only the online aspect?

31. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 5, 2011

I have used action shots from the classroom in my portfolios in the past. I did not see a problem with scrap books either. I do scrap book/journal with each of my students every year containing pics of special moments duing the year. I take pics of the special activities, mount them on story paper and kids write a little blurb about the activity. They take home their "memory books" at the end of the year. I have never had any adverse reaction for doing that.

On the other hand, there is no way to control the usage of pictures published on the internet. There are ways to access literally everything on the internet. Nothing is sacred. Remember that child predators also use the internet. That is the biggest problem!

32. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2011

No allowed, I put a clip art smiley over the faces of my online portfolio as well as the brochures i mail out to districts. The actual real portfolio that I bring to interviews, I do have photos in, but it does not leave my possesson so I think its ok.

33. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 6, 2011

I've never put pictures in my interview portfolio but I like the idea of putting a smilie face over their faces for that.

34. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Nov 21, 2011

I am getting my degree now and we don't take any ethics classes. It is crazy, doctors and lawyers have to take ethics classes but teachers who are with children all day aren't required to take one :eek:! To the OP I would not post any pictures of your students on facebook. It is not worth the risk.

35. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 21, 2011

Jinkies. Good point! I had an ethics class during my paralegal studies but not one for teaching!

36. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2011

My university actually dis. In California we have to submit videos of us teaching during student teaching, we were explicitly told at that time that written consent is needed for photographs and videos.

37. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 21, 2011

I graduated in 2009 and my teacher ed department did talk about it before we student taught. They also warned us about posting comments on facebook about students. We were told not to mention any stories at all and we could not even put comments like "I have a student that..." I did take pictures during student teaching to include in my portfolio. I first checked with my cooperating teacher and the principal. They said that it would be okay. I do take this into interviews with me. All student work samples that I put in my portfolio have their names covered. I don't think that a teacher can be too careful with any of this. It could be an easy way to get in big trouble!

38. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Nov 22, 2011

Absolutely not okay.

39. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Nov 22, 2011

photos

If you do not have parent permission to take photo of student, then this is not okay.

40. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2011

It depends, we were told that we were covered by the school districts policy which states that students may be in pictures. Parents have to go to the school and fill out a form if they want to opt out of this...and some do, and those students we were notified of.

41. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 22, 2011

I'm beginning to think I should write a small paragraph next toy signature to explicitly outline when my child's picture can be taken and what it can be used for since people and schools vary so widely with how they interpret this.