Facebook Parent Friend

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sophie1, Apr 21, 2010.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Apr 21, 2010

I am one of the last to join fb. Now, I only joined to keep in contact with family who live far away and close friends. There is nothing that I do or say that couldn't be posted all over the news. I'm very careful.

Well, a parent whose daughter I had last year friended me. She has other children coming up through in the next few years. I keep my fb strictly for family and close friends. How do I let her down in a polite and professional way?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2010

How about:

"I'm so sorry, but I think it's a conflict of interest to friend anyone I know through school."

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 21, 2010

You could just ignore it. You don't really need to give an explanation. I ignore all requests from kids under 21. They don't need a reason!

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 21, 2010

I had people on my facebook that I was friends with in high school. This year I ended up with their children. I told them now that I have their children in my class that I needed to delete them from my friend's list. They understood.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 21, 2010

If you like her, you could always befriend her and then block her from seeing anything on your fb page.

7. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Apr 21, 2010

I think I'd rather be consistent with all parents, that way I'm not playing favorites. Thanks though, I appreciate the input.

8. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Apr 21, 2010

Has anyone heard of a teacher using fb for strictly school/class related information? The fb name could be under "room 13" for example instead of the teacher's real name, which would allow the teacher to keep his/her private account. If the teacher already has a personal account then he/she could create another account for the class. The teacher could post class announcements, for example and only allow parents of the classroom or school to join. Just a thought...

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 21, 2010

I've considered doing that (and posted previous threads on the topic). After careful consideration, though, I've decided it's best NOT to have any school-related pages or interaction on FB. Even though I am just doing substitute work right now, I've heard more than once that the administration does look at FB pages to see what's posted on there.

FB posters should also remember that what they consider "inappropriate" might be very different from administion's idea of inappropriate. I know another sub in the district that has some pics of him and friends during their partying days in college. He insists there is nothing on there he would be embarrassed for anyone to see. Then, in the same breath, wonders why he never seems to be called to sub anymore. HE might not be bothered by those photos, but it seems pretty obvious the district admins think differently.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 21, 2010

I would very nicely state that your Facebook is for family and friends not related to school. I do have some co-workers on my account but I would never add a parent or a student.

A few months ago I realized I really had too many people on my Facebook-- too many being that many of them I never even talk to. So I went through my whole account and dumped a lot of "friends" and applications. My Mom's co-worker noticed I dumped him and he actually got upset. I told him "Sorry but I'm keeping my Facebook for strictly close friends and family."

It is ALWAYS your choice-- if you don't feel comfortable, don't do it. The person should not be offended.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2010

Would that said person know they were being blocked from seein anything on your fb page?

12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 21, 2010

I think that's a great way to word it--I don't add parents or students to my FB, and possibly explain the liabilities that could arise.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 22, 2010

I would suggest making sure people can't search for you. I never get friend requests because no one can actually find me (or no one likes me...haha).

14. stephanie101

stephanie101 New Member

Apr 22, 2010

I agree with previous posters. Keep your FB limited to close, personal contacts. These days, I think most tech-savvy people will understand this.

15. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Apr 22, 2010

I've had parents send me friend requests as well. I just hit the deny button and do not explain. I don't want parents to have access to my family photos. I feel as though there needs to be a professional boundry with parents and my facebook page is a piece of my personal life. Honestly, I feel like they are crossing the line by sending me a friend request.

16. Harper

Harper Companion

Apr 22, 2010

Ditto. My FB is for Family and VERY CLOSE friends. Friends from work, even other teachers, do not qualify - just in case THEY friends parents or students. I make myself unsearchable. My friend list is VERY small - I probably look pretty lame by FB standards! :lol:

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 22, 2010

I am so glad this thread was started!

Here's my situation: I am close friends with many of the office & teaching staff at my school. Many staff members are currently on my facebook page, and their children have been in my class in previous years.

Anyway, we have a new teacher (not new to teaching, but new to my site) who sent a friend request and I accepted. Well, she just let me know that she's putting her son in my class next year, so now I feel a little awkward about her seeing everything on my facebook page (especially since her son will be with me next year).

Your thoughts???

18. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2010

Here's how I solved a similar dilemma -- I have TWO Facebook accounts. The account I want to keep TOTALLY PRIVATE is under an assumed name that only my friends know and is closed to the public (and, yes, I monitor Facebook's settings regularly), and the other is under my real name and open to the public.

19. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Apr 23, 2010

I've had a number of parents request to friend me on FB - my line has always been, "Sorry, as much as I like you it's not professional." - which is the total truth.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 23, 2010

You could say the same thing that Jaimemarie did (tell her that now her son is in your class, you will have to remove her from your FB page) or you could block her from seeing anything on your page.

21. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 23, 2010

If they know a lot about FB then yes, they will know. If they don't, then they would just think that you don't use FB much... I haven't had anyone ask me why they were blocked, although I have had a few people remove me from their friend list b/c I blocked them which was fine with me:D