Facebook page or blog in place of classroom website??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teach'em, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 4, 2011

Has anyone done this? I know many teachers have blogs, but does anyone use it to communicate with parents? Also, has anyone set up a class facebook page? What settings did you place on it?

I want something SUPER easy to post weekly homework, announcements, photos of projects we are working on, field trips, etc.

Thanks!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 4, 2011

The problem you might run into is a parent like me that doesn't have a facebook page :)

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2011

I probably wouldn't use Facebook for a class page. I'd be hesitant about asking 8-year-olds to log in to Facebook, even with a parent around. Besides that, Facebook isn't really set up to do/be all the things that a class page would need.

I do my page through Weebly. It's very easy, plus it's free. There's a blog feature that I'm going to start using with my classes next year.

5. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 4, 2011

Thanks for the advice!

INteacher, so true! I didn't even think about the parents that may not have a FB page! :/

Caesar, I'll check into Weebly. Thanks!

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 4, 2011

I think I might be one of the very few in the world without a facebook page but there are some of non-facebook page people out here :p

7. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Jun 5, 2011

Edmodo is another option that might provide what you are looking for.

I would avoid social networking sites with students so young. In addition, Facebook requires users to be 13 years or older.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 5, 2011

Edmodo.

I started with a website, went to a blog ... now I'm with Edmodo.

9. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 5, 2011

Edmodo, Blogger, Weebly.

Do not use facebook that will only backfire.

10. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 5, 2011

Thanks, everyone! I also saw where Scholastic is putting together a new website creator that should be available before school starts again. It looks like it will have some neat features, but I don't want to wait too long before I start putting it together.

11. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 6, 2011

I think I'm going to do a facebook page where my parents can "like" my page... Not as a profile, but set up like a business. That way, I can't see any of their info. AND, no pictures will be posted. I teach kinder so I need a place where I can quickly type, "Picture day TOMORROW!" or "Early out Friday!" :) Just a little post here and there to remind parents of important things. I also send home weekly newsletters but I can't tell you how many times I check backpacks and see my letters from weeks ago, still in the backpack!!! I'm hoping my facebook page will get to the parents who are never to busy to check their page...;) For some parents, the fact they have to type in a url to get to a webpage might be too much...I mean if you can't check a backpack...REALLY!? Of course, this is my last ditch effort for MORE mass classroom communication! I'm not sure how much more I could do?

12. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 6, 2011

Manda, this is the exact reason I thought about a FB page. I know some businesses have it set where they have to accept your friend request...that would allow me to only choose parents and/or relatives of the child who I knew were involved in the child's daily life. At the end of the year, I could 'delete' all of those friends and allow the new class' parents access to the page.

13. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 6, 2011

Teach'em - I think that is a fabulous idea! :) I'm going to ask principal permission first, but I don't believe I'll have any problem! Our school PTO has a facebook page! It's such a great way for everyone to be "plugged in"!:)

I started a thread about this months ago...someone responded and linked me to their page so I could see the things they had posted. It was mainly them posting and tweeting about upcoming spelling tests, conferences, etc. I thought it was fabulous!:)

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2011

You're not the only one!!! :D

Someone else maybe able to give better advice, but what about a twitter account that just has that info?!?!

15. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 6, 2011

I'm not familiar with Twitter at all...it is an option though. Can anyone access twitter even if they don't have an account?

16. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2011

If you are going to set up a FB page for quick reminders, why not set up a group email account. Then you can send out a quick email to all of your parents about picture day tomorrow, etc.

17. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 6, 2011

Now, I have done that. But I didn't get a great response with mass emails... I once had a parent hit reply all and send out a private message to more than just me! :blush:

I hate to junk up emails for just a one sentence message. I do however offer my weekly newsletters in electronic form...some parents, especially those who only have custody on certain weekends, enjoy reading the class updates since they won't see the paper copy that come home with the child.

I was just trying to use another avenue. I know I would prefer facebook...I can check it quick, no need to delete anything and I can go back and read past postings whenever I please!:)

I'm not familiar with Twitter though... Facebook just seemed easy for me!;)

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2011

I use the blind carbon copy option for parents. Then they won't reply to this person when hitting reply all.

19. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 6, 2011

Hmm...I'll have to try that!:) I just have them all grouped so when I hit parent contacts it emails them all. I'll have to play with it and do that! Thanks!:)

20. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jun 7, 2011

I have also been toying around with the idea of a FB page. I think I'll make a group though and then only add the parents of THIS YEAR'S class. I hope that there aren't many 3rd graders that have thier own FB page, but if they do then I will add them as well. I won't, however, add past students....I don't think? That's one thing I'm not sure of.

I just like the idea of knowing parents are more than likely going to see my messages. They do not always check email and many times flyers do not get seen.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2011

My neighbor has an account... I can see hers even though I don't have a twitter account. I was just thinking for your quick... Don't forget half day tomorrow or whatever...

I know other's on here know more about twitter than I do. If you do a search on here you might find the "twitter" thread. http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=111042&highlight=twitter There are others as well...

I wouldn't as a parent without fb be happy to sign up to see the info...There are reasons parent's have decided to keeep themselves & probably their kids off of it... so it "Push" this on to them I think is a bit much... Just my own opinion.

22. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 7, 2011

Thanks for the comment! I don't parents to think I'm "pushing" them to join! I hadn't thought of that! I am going to make it clear that the facebook updates are completely optional! If you don't want to subscribe, that is completely up to you! I teach kinder so I'm gearing all of my communication to parents...not students! I'll still send emails and paper copies home! After all, some of my kids are raised by grandma who doesn't have internet at all, let alone fb!

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2011

Manda... Thanks for listening because if I saw that about facebook I may feel that I have to have it. You may word it that if you have an account on facebook here's another way that I will get info to you.

I think if you have different ways you will get the info to them would be great.

24. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2011

I am leaning towards the facebook page as well. I've had a classroom website for years and I just feel it would be easier and more convenient to have the facebook page. I will only allow the current years parents to be friends. I am pretty sure my parents check their facebook more than they would ever check a separate class website. And the ones who don't have facebook - well, they can refer to my weekly emailed newsletters.

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2011

Lynnn.... don't have an attitude about parents not having facebook... It's their choice. Or maybe they don't have internet. You need to have something that parents can gain access to easily for some it's facebook & for others just the weekly note.