Facebook page for parents

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rabbitt, May 17, 2014.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 17, 2014

Our sons sports teams use closed facebook pages to communicate with parents. It is a blessing.

Has anyone tried this with their classroom?
    I wonder if parents can be added to a page without being my 'friend'.
    Is it too risky?

I currently use Remind 101 but would like to take it a step further. Maybe there is something similar but not Fbook?

3. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 17, 2014

I have a classroom FB page and it is AMAZING!!!!! I hold the belief that parents don't have time or want to check yet another site to see what's going on in the classroom, but they will ALWAYS check FB! Why not utilize the tools they are using?

I post pics of what we are doing, post updates, reminders, and even contact parents via private message. I have had nearly 100% participation from parents in the last 2 years that I've done it. It's much better then sending home notes that get lost. I can post a reminder the night before about a dress up day and I'll have nearly all my students participate!

All parents agreed to usage rules and agreed/disagreed about having their child's picture and name used when posting about classroom events. I have my page as just a regular FB page that they have to "friend". I use my school email so that way they there is no chance of them accessing things on my personal page. I allow grandparents also or other approved family members to join our page.

Give it a try...it's great!

4. kab164

kab164 Companion

May 17, 2014

I haven't but I've heard it can work well. Some teachers also use edmodo which is similar but only for students, teachers and parents.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 17, 2014

I have heard of teachers using it too and I think it would be interesting to try, at least. I don´t think my school would allow us though because we can only use google sites or wibbley (I think that´s what it´s called).

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 17, 2014

My old district tried forcing us all to delete our own personal facebook accounts. We were forbidden to be friends with students or parents. This made things really tricky with 'hometown' people, because they grew up with the 'parents'! They would NOT be OK with their teachers using facebook.

That said, you CAN add people to a group even if you are not friends. If it is a private group, you can add using email if you are not friends. So it is possible!

Weebly, maybe?

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 17, 2014

Yes, Weebly! lol....

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 17, 2014

I have a separate "teacher facebook" account. Parents and students can add me, I never request anyone. I post reminders when I need to or interesting science articles. I love it because I think it is a great way to communicate with the kids, and it also keeps them from looking for my *real* facebook page! :)

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 17, 2014

How can they do that? My FB account is my business, as long as I'm not breaking any rules (friending students, parents, etc), no one can tell me what to do with it. That's how I stay in touch with the 'world', including my parents on the other side of the planet.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 17, 2014

Well, they can't. They tried, but no one complied. Then they demanded that we unfriend all colleagues, parents, and students both current and former. That didn't really happen either.
    Basically, we all tip-toed around so we didn't get in trouble. But this is NC where everyone is at-will, so they can pretty much do whatever they want.

11. brightstart123

brightstart123 Rookie

May 19, 2014

It is a great way to be in contact with parents. I agree that it is good to be in contact and why don't use the tools they are using. Even the parents will also try to me more in contact with the child care or preschool which provides such facility and makes them know about their child without visiting to the center.